Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

I have been holding back from posting about this and I have scoured the internet and not found out same..

Right, car in question is a 2003 Corsa C 1.8L Sri. I noticed a few months back a whine like a drill spooling up or down in 1st and 2nd even when the clutch is in coasting with the stick in the 1st and 2nd position. I didn't think much of it. A few days ago another noise has appeared which sounds like something spinning with bad bearings Only way i can describe it. Hissing spinning noise.

May I point out that it does not do the hissy gouched bearing noise at a standstil. Only when the car is moving.

I convinced my self it wasn't the gearbox. However, I did a test today on the way home from work, I pressed the clutch down while rolling, kept the revs at about 2500rpm And went through 1st, 3rd and 5th, then 2nd and 4th. The hissing rotating noise is there through Neutral 1st 3rd and 5th changes in timbre through the gears, worse in 3rd.. Not there in 2nd or 4th. Clutch in or out it makes this noise and its always worse in 3rd

Mate reckons it's the main shaft bearing and it can't be repaired?..

I've bought some Tranny oil and a new sump pan gasket but I really doubt that is going to help anything now.

Anyone shed a bit more light into this?.. Anyone had same issue, can it be repaired? Or is my F17Cr on it's way to being goosed... I really hope not I just ut over £200 into .. just started doing it after I got the steering rack and linkage mount fixed >.<.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sounds like it could be the main shaft bearing, quite expensive to repair as iirc it's a full gearbox strip as the bearing needs pressed out and a new one refitted.

I hope I'm wrong given that you've spent money on other areas of the vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it could be the main shaft bearing, quite expensive to repair as iirc it's a full gearbox strip as the bearing needs pressed out and a new one refitted.

I hope I'm wrong given that you've spent money on other areas of the vehicle
Cheers dude.. Seems to be pointing to that unfortunetaly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hissing noise I have read could be to do with a loose gear linkage bolt? .. Seems to come though the stick and where the gator is, its just had linkage support mount done as well and I dont recall hearing that noise prior to that being done..

I forgot to mention that the whine in 1st and 2nd, even with the clutch down, only seems to appear at low speeds and is not apparent at high speeds..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update. I changed the gearbox oil and the sound has quietened substantially, still quite noticeable in 3rd but not as bad. 4th is silent now. I think in future ima change the gearbox oil more frequently. I hadn't realized how prone to wear these boxes are 98K on the clock the gasket had GM on it which I suspect has never been changed for nearly 20 years O.O ..
Probably good practice to do it on any car. Been offered an 07 Astra CDti with 111k on the clock.. It's a 6 speed though and I know all to well what box they come with, the infamous M32.. Was hoping it was a 5 speed with the F23..

Been quoted gearbox rebuild "From" £275 quid for the Corsa.. Tempted to go that route but obviously it could end up been more depending on the state of the components.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you pass NL, I have a gearbox standing in the way. I tried to sell it with 50€ but got no interest. No idea of its status as I used the engine only from the donor auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thanks for the offer dude. Unfortunately I won't be venturing that far anytime soon.

The noise is getting worse again. Does anyone know how bad the noise gets before a bang?.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts