Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm servicing my Corsa C 2005 1.4 Auto soon, and was wondering. Which viscosity would be the best to go for?
I've read many posts here that mention as the engine gets older and more miles are put on, to perhaps lean toward 10w 40.

Though have seen conflicting evidence mentioning if it runs "sweet" to use 5w 30, the engine is on 74k miles.
I'm unsure as to what oil was used before, as I don't know when it was last serviced (I know I know) though when I bought it, the oil looked as fresh as anything so this did not put me off (and everything else looked okay)

Further side question, 1 or 2 pronged spark plugs?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Personally, I use fully synthetic 5w/30 - most often, the Tesco one to GM spec which is often discounted (especially for ClubCard users, which I'm not) and change it annually because mine does about 6k miles in 6 months then nothing at all for the other 6. It's a 1.7 diesel and the drained oil and old filter look excellent (about 70k miles) each time. I don't know about the spark plugs because I don't use them. 10w/40 is used by some (and without issue) but often to quieten down a rattly timing chain. Again, not an issue for me (belt on the 1.7) but I personally would stick with the GM spec 5w/30 while it still feels sweet. As mentioned, others run semi-synth 10w/40 etc. I am in the "shorter intervals > fancy oil" camp, but there are GM spec synths at a cheap enough price to do both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I use fully synthetic 5w/30 - most often, the Tesco one to GM spec which is often discounted (especially for ClubCard users, which I'm not) and change it annually because mine does about 6k miles in 6 months then nothing at all for the other 6. It's a 1.7 diesel and the drained oil and old filter look excellent (about 70k miles) each time. I don't know about the spark plugs because I don't use them. 10w/40 is used by some (and without issue) but often to quieten down a rattly timing chain. Again, not an issue for me (belt on the 1.7) but I personally would stick with the GM spec 5w/30 while it still feels sweet. As mentioned, others run semi-synth 10w/40 etc. I am in the "shorter intervals > fancy oil" camp, but there are GM spec synths at a cheap enough price to do both.
Thank you so much for your detailed input :) mine is also running a timing belt Z14XE engine, so it appears a 5w 30 would be perfectly fine to use :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excuse the second message, though I now know the viscosity I'm now slightly confused about these codes Engine Oil, Engine Oil for Servicing | GSF Car Parts I'm getting my stuff from here, and don't understand the DXS and FS etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Dexos 2 is the GM spec (doubtless more than it needs to be, but I go with what they say) and ACEA C3 is the same spec really. I used to work in POL (petroleum, oils and lubricants) a long time ago, so all the stuff about sulphated ash content etc makes sense to me but it's not something I'd recommend for bedtime reading. If you see a well-priced 5w/30 and it has ACEA C3 labelling then you'll be absolutely fine. ACEA stands for l'Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles and GM Europe, Benz, etc specify what oils suit their cars according to this standard, so it's widely used. In the case of Corsa Cs, I think it's a bit overkill (apart from protecting the cat - the rest of it is a bit high performance for not-very-high-performance-engines) and probably to help them to suggest overlong service intervals.

Funnily enough, I had a quick look at Tesco online and although the Ford one (£20/4 litres) is there, I don't see their GM one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dexos 2 is the GM spec (doubtless more than it needs to be, but I go with what they say) and ACEA C3 is the same spec really. I used to work in POL (petroleum, oils and lubricants) a long time ago, so all the stuff about sulphated ash content etc makes sense to me but it's not something I'd recommend for bedtime reading. If you see a well-priced 5w/30 and it has ACEA C3 labelling then you'll be absolutely fine. ACEA stands for l'Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles and GM Europe, Benz, etc specify what oils suit their cars according to this standard, so it's widely used. In the case of Corsa Cs, I think it's a bit overkill (apart from protecting the cat - the rest of it is a bit high performance for not-very-high-performance-engines) and probably to help them to suggest overlong service intervals.

Funnily enough, I had a quick look at Tesco online and although the Ford one (£20/4 litres) is there, I don't see their GM one.
I think I may have done goofed, I ended up purchasing this one here 5W30 FS LL 5L

It has A3/B3 stated next to the ACEA rating, main reason I went for it is it was 2 quid cheaper then the other stuff and "long life" but I'm guessing that's more a marketing ploy!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ignore my recent reply, having read further into your post I believe I'd be okay with the one purchased lol. At least I hope so, damn night time worried keeping me up at night haha.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Y17DTL runs on 5W30 Dexos2. You can get some bargains if you buy it in packs and 5L will average 25euros. I might move to a high mileage 0W40 or 5W40 but as long as I can get the GM OEM oil at a sensible price and it works nice I'd like to stick to it.

If you are worried about picking a "good engine oil for a good price" and you do the oil changes yourself, just have a look well known online stores or even amazon and buy 2 or 3 cans+ oil filters if needed for free shipping. It will take you from 1 to 3 years to deplete your storage but it isn't much(it's actually cheaper than 1 oil change in a random lube shop) and your oil change will be done often(mines are at <10.000km if possible) and of good quality and cheap.

Just remember to take your old engine oil to recycling. 😅

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The difference between A3/B3 and C3 is that C3 is designed for catalysts (mid-level sulphated ash content) whereas A3/B3 isn't specifically. That said, there hasn't been a car sold without a catalyst this century so in practice you'll probably be ok with it but I'd look for C3 or Dexos next time to be certain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Y17DTL runs on 5W30 Dexos2. You can get some bargains if you buy it in packs and 5L will average 25euros. I might move to a high mileage 0W40 or 5W40 but as long as I can get the GM OEM oil at a sensible price and it works nice I'd like to stick to it.

If you are worried about picking a "good engine oil for a good price" and you do the oil changes yourself, just have a look well known online stores or even amazon and buy 2 or 3 cans+ oil filters if needed for free shipping. It will take you from 1 to 3 years to deplete your storage but it isn't much(it's actually cheaper than 1 oil change in a random lube shop) and your oil change will be done often(mines are at <10.000km if possible) and of good quality and cheap.

Just remember to take your old engine oil to recycling. 😅
Hey thanks for your help and suggestions 🙂 I may do the bulk storage thing you mentioned, though not to sure how long I'll be holding onto the car so I'll hold of for the minute.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The difference between A3/B3 and C3 is that C3 is designed for catalysts (mid-level sulphated ash content) whereas A3/B3 isn't specifically. That said, there hasn't been a car sold without a catalyst this century so in practice you'll probably be ok with it but I'd look for C3 or Dexos next time to be certain.
Oh s*it haha, only reason I went for that specific oil is it was a few quid cheaper then the alternative. Plus the site I got it from after entering my reg suggested it is "compatible"

However I'm aware compatible doesn't mean you should use it, just means ya can hahaha.

I may do a change 3,000 or so after this one so will swap in for C3, though all the other bits can wait another 10000 miles or so 🤣 (sparks air filter, cabin filter etc)

Thank you for ya help :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have been using 10w40 semi synthetic oil in all my Vauxhalls for many years now. It's mote than good enough in the UK climate. I did use the GM oil as the price was right at under £40 for 4 x 5 litre cans. As the price has shot up in recent years I have started using Shell Helix H7 10w40 in all the cars not just the highly tuned ones.
I also have a z14xe auto Corsa C, runs sweet, gets oil changed around every 3k miles which is every other year. Only got 31k on the clocks now.
This is the inside of one of my 2.2's in the Corsa C, over 150k miles on this engine when photo was taken. Still clean inside, but it has had oil changes at least every 5k miles for its whole life.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Hood Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
878 Posts
but z22 your example does not work that we all know that your cars are sl idle at 8,000 xD

A diesel dirties the oil more because of carbon issues, even so, I would tell you to look at motul, castrol, mobil1, shell, any of them is the first brand and you only need to worry about the cove and maintenance

·
Registered
86 Posts
but z22 your example does not work that we all know that your cars are sl idle at 8,000 xD

A diesel dirties the oil more because of carbon issues, even so, I would tell you to look at motul, castrol, mobil1, shell, any of them is the first brand and you only need to worry about the cove and maintenance
I would add to that list Liqui Moly and their underdog brand Meguin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'm guessing that diesel point was to z22 haha, either that or I'm reading it wrong. Mines a petrol :D I've since bought the oil mentioned in my earlier post, though will do another dump and change a few k miles after

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Mine are all petrol models. The 2.2's i have are the Z22SE ones. Well one is a B207R stroked to 2.2 from 2.0 with the supercharger on it 🤪
5w30 fully or 10w40 semi are both approved for use in the Z14XE engines in the UK by Vauxhall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine are all petrol models. The 2.2's i have are the Z22SE ones. Well one is a B207R stroked to 2.2 from 2.0 with the supercharger on it 🤪
5w30 fully or 10w40 semi are both approved for use in the Z14XE engines in the UK by Vauxhall.
Great! So no need to sh*t myself about wasting money lol, Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It's more down to personal choice between the 2 grades. All my tune Vauxhalls run on 10w40 so the daily drivers also get the same oil as it's cheaper to buy 20L cans than 5L ones. £/L that is.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
When I bought my 1.7 diesel I was told the oil had been changed about 3k miles ago but had it all serviced again. I was shocked at the filth (first time owning an oil burner) and my garage said it was quite normal and I probably hadn't been told a fib (the previous owner's a good guy). That said, in my use, the Combo Tour has a half bottle of Redex with each tank and - probably more significant - spends most of it's time either doing nothing or long, motorway drives. Its annual/6k oil change comes out like new and the fuel filter is still shiny.

·
Registered
878 Posts
the dti is not a very squeezed engine, if you stop to think seat already got 160cv with 200cc more, even if you want it does not have the power to mistreat the oil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts