Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a very odd problem with my car which I cannot solve and hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and found the soloution.

The problem is that when I turn the key to turn the car on it just turns over and doesn't start. I'm pretty certian that it is an immobliser issue. When I connect Opcom to read the fault codes it won't load the 'engine' section however I can access and read codes in the BCM section of opcom.

I have disconnected the ECU and cleaned the connectors, checked the fuses but opcom still will not commicate with the ECU. I have also tried opcom on a different computer to help elimatnate that the computer may be the issue and the ODB2 interface has been tried on another vauxhall we have so I know that the issue is something within the systems of the car and not what is being plugged into it. (if that makes sense)

It's also worth noting that this happened after the battery went flat, however I charged the battery up and the car burst into life on the button then i turned it off and when I went to use it again I started having the issues I explained above.

Reading on other forums I have seen that it may be that i've been locked out of the ECU? Does anyone know if this could be it? and how to fix it?

Any help on this issue would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As you have check the obvious faults, Fuses and relays then I would say the ECU is dead.
If it is an immobilizer fault the spanner light will flash when you turn the key on.
Are both EML's coming on?
Did you find any oil in the ECU plug?
Have you had problems with water in passengers foot well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you have check the obvious faults, Fuses and relays then I would say the ECU is dead.
If it is an immobilizer fault the spanner light will flash when you turn the key on.
Are both EML's coming on?
Did you find any oil in the ECU plug?
Have you had problems with water in passengers foot well?
Thanks for replying.

Yes the spanner light is flashing, the EML lights are on and I did have oil on the ECU plug. Out of interest would you know how oil may have gotten into the plug?

And haven't had water in the passengers foot well.

Is this inline with what you might expect from a dead ECU?

If if is dead I assume the fix is to replace the ECU?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The oil pressure switch fails and oil is forced into the engine loom. The switch will also need to be replaced.
It is quite possible the oil has damaged the ECU.
The simplest/cheapest fix is to get a secondhand ECU set and replace all parts. These are normally between £30-100 on Ebay etc.
You will also need to clean or replace the engine loom to prevent the oil that is in it from doing more damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh right okay. Is there any other way that oil might get into the ECU that you are aware of. I'm pretty certain that my oil pressure switch hasn't failed and and the connector isn't oily.

Also the pressure switch is on the front of the engine and following the loom back seems a very long way for oil to be forced through the loom. Not saying your wrong just want to fully understand how the problems that I have have occurred.

I appreciate your time and advice on all of this gonna have a look on eBay and get a ECU kit.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
No, the only way oil will get in the loom is from the pressure switch. It may have failed and been replaced before you had the car depending how long you have had it?
It is quite a common fault on the 1.0 12v 1.2-1.4 16v Vauxhall engines.
Only other way for oil to get in the loom plugs is a massive oil leak running over the plug or someone has put oil in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I'll have to have another look then I replaced the oil pressure switch about 2-3 years ago and when I did the old one had only just started leaking oil as it had the smallest of leaks so caught it in time.

Think the next logical thing to do is chase the loom back and see if there is any oil and hopefully where it starts.

I have developed an oil leak somewhere around the timing chain chest after fixing my head gasket so possibly this is related.

If it is the pressure switch at least that would be a cheap and easy fix but will have to see.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It needs to be a very heavy external leak for the oil to get in to electrical plugs. Only a small leak from the pressure switch is enough though.
It's to do with capillary action why the oil gets into the ECU plug and the flow of electrical current. I'm not 100% sure on how it happens, just know it does from experience on these and other vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts