Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm repairing a Holden Barina (Corsa C) 1.8 SRi for a grandma. Please advise how to get to the Y-tube and plastic pipe that is behind the Z18XE engine (what is the purpose of the Y-tube?). The upper part of the Y-tube is slow leaking coolant. I cant find any information or vids of the best way to get to this. I've tried from below: zero space to grab the hose and the clips are a nightmare. I'm thinking of removing the intake manifold. For every problem, there is always a trick that makes it easy. Please advise, thank you.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
inlet manifold off is definitely the easiest way to get to the pipe. The 'Y' pipe links the main coolant feed to a seperate internal passage in the cylinder head that allows water to circulate when the thermostat is shut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
inlet manifold off is definitely the easiest way to get to the pipe. The 'Y' pipe links the main coolant feed to a seperate internal passage in the cylinder head that allows water to circulate when the thermostat is shut.
Thank you so much for your reply. I will do it your way, although intake manifold removal requires a lot of stuff removed it seems like the only way. So the Y-pipe is for more rapid warm up of the engine? In Australia a lot of design concepts for cold climates don't apply (except in Tassie and Victoria, where its more like Europe).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. I will do it your way, although intake manifold removal requires a lot of stuff removed it seems like the only way. So the Y-pipe is for more rapid warm up of the engine? In Australia a lot of design concepts for cold climates don't apply (except in Tassie and Victoria, where its more like Europe).
I finally got around to this fix, remoed the front of the car, removed the radiator, took off all the millions of wires in the loom, the injectors, just about every bolt, moved the alternator out of the way to get at the brass nuts that hold on the intake manifold, got the manifold off and removed the Y-pipe and all the cooling pipes and clamps. Then the connector to the head is heavily corroded and I need a new one. Seems impossible to find in Australia -any idea where I can get one ?
Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Metal Auto part

1 - 5 of 5 Posts