Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just brought a 2005 corsa c 1.4 16v sxi. I drove it yesterday and it was completely fine. Loads of power and ran fine. Then i went to pick it up today after soring insurance and tax and i was driving it home and the idle started to get lumpy. It got worse over the next 5 minutes. It the stalled out. Started up and engine light was flashing. This then continued to happen as i stopped at lights. The engine light was then on solid and it was struggling to restart. It then completly died. Then engine was pulsing and idleing rough. Had no power and wouldnt accelerate. I have lots of mechanical knowledge but am completely new to corsas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Flashing lamp means misfire. Fuel trims went negative or positive so much that it does not ignite anymore.
Is it z14xe or z14xep?
Nevertheless, without faultcodes reading, you are in the dark.
Maybe try to read them by pedals method, google it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. It was flashing and and it did sound like a missfire. Would that explain it struggling to start

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you bought it from the garage yesterday, handing it back is doubtless the best idea. In the meantime, have a good cuppa and Hobnob and read through some of the stickies (I think "common mechanical problems" is one).

The z14xe and z14xep are similar, but quite easy to tell apart from a look if you did get the bonnet up and compare what you saw with t'internet. The xep (pasted to save me typing) "used TwinPort technology – twin intake ports with a choke closing one of the ports at low RPM, providing strong air swirl pattern for higher torque levels and better fuel economy"

If you don't have a code reader, there is also a sticky on this forum "How to do the pedal test" which allows you to read off a diagnostic code. It's a bit difficult to give help over a forum without them. If I were betting, I'd put my coin on your 2005 having the xep, but it's not certain. iirc, the xe engine was used to 04 and the xep from 03 hence Liviu wanted to know before suggesting what to try.

Chances are the garage fixes the issue but there are some things to look out for, particularly if they try a cheap, quick fix. On the electricals and sensors, chineebay and parts shop replacements are regularly the root of a problem. I'm no mech, but I've read my fair share of "I just replaced the coil pack/crank sensor/maf etc, and now the car runs like poop" stories over the last year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tell the garage you want your money back mate, best thing you could do is walk away from it.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
One thing to add to ozsubrosa's explanation, those two engines have different ECUs... all Twinports use same ECU iirc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. It is a twinport so it is the xep engine. I'll have to look into getting a code reader in the near future and hopefully the garage can fix it
L

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have one of those £3 ebay readers (and Torque Lite on my phone) which is basic but handy. Without spending even that much, the car itself has a code reader. There's 16 pages on this thread, but just the first page will tell you what you have to do:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts