Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone’s offered me a pre-facelift sxi nearside door. Paint colour matches and i think it’s in good nick. Would be going from a 3dr to mine which is a 3dr facelift. Will it still fit?

Also the door strip on the new door is black plastic so would have to take my door strip off and put it on the replacement door, anything good for keeping it stuck on there for good? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I was going to say "same fit" but Liviu's in ahead of me.I can't say "in my experience" but I had checked on this before and 3dr is 3dr, 5dr is 5dr, with no particular facelift change.It really was one of the cheapest midlife tartups ever carried out. For holding plastics in, I've had good results with Gorilla Glue Gel. My Tour's hinge-window plopped onto the ground - it's only attached by two rubber-covered metal strips. Autoglass wouldn't try to rebond it so I gave it a go. BUT, I left it in place (put a weight on it) for 3 days before subjecting it to stress and movement. It's been UK-Malaga and back since. However, some chineebay fogs I just put some blobs on and set off the next day didn't make it through France, so give it lots of still-time to set. Same with an epoxy resin I used on some fridge plastics. Initially rubbish but rock-solid after leaving it a few days unmolested. Setting time is probably more important than a partic brand, but the Gorilla Gel is good and not expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to say "same fit" but Liviu's in ahead of me.I can't say "in my experience" but I had checked on this before and 3dr is 3dr, 5dr is 5dr, with no particular facelift change.It really was one of the cheapest midlife tartups ever carried out. For holding plastics in, I've had good results with Gorilla Glue Gel. My Tour's hinge-window plopped onto the ground - it's only attached by two rubber-covered metal strips. Autoglass wouldn't try to rebond it so I gave it a go. BUT, I left it in place (put a weight on it) for 3 days before subjecting it to stress and movement. It's been UK-Malaga and back since. However, some chineebay fogs I just put some blobs on and set off the next day didn't make it through France, so give it lots of still-time to set. Same with an epoxy resin I used on some fridge plastics. Initially rubbish but rock-solid after leaving it a few days unmolested. Setting time is probably more important than a partic brand, but the Gorilla Gel is good and not expensive.
Cheers for the advice on the gorilla glue GEL, I was definitely leaning to one of their products but no clue which one. Interesting to know about the realistic cute times and how they affect it. I’ve since decided not to buy the door though! It’s cheap but feels like more effort for what it’s worth thinking about it. I have a very small little dent on my door atm, just above the door strip and it’s kind of a smooth dent if that makes sense. No nasty corners or bends. I debated taking the door panel off and knocking it back out but I saw something about these doors being double skinned so I’m just going to buy something to pull it out I think in the summer! Got a few parts that need paint touch ups and I’ve become okay with rattle cans etc so going to do that when my brothers moves house (as he’s getting a garage wahey). Thanks for your advice though pal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I concur. There's a good bonnet locally in white for £20 but wondering if CBA. I used touch up on mine and it's good for the 10yd glance. Similarly, I have a driver's door dent sounding exactly like yours. I used some filler but I am the world's worst at that job. Looked like Katie Price's makeup but I went ahead with the touch up anyway rather than trying again and doing a proper job. Passes a cursory glance, but it screams out at me from outer space. Gorilla glue gel is a better bet than the std cyanomethacrylate superglue as it has a bit of tack and gunge to it. Makes that initial grip seem a bit more convincing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts