Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time iv painted anything, so tested a rear griffin badge and boot handle
messed up couple times so just sanded down to plastic and started again
the griffin badge worked fine but when i did the boot handle this happened

anybody no why?
i sanded down and painted over and laquered and came out alright :s
dad then touched it whilst wet so had to start again, i primered it again and it came out fine, any ideas???

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
was it that i didnt sand down enough? the first couple coats were alright (this is after a 4th coat iirc)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
rub it all down again and prime it and give it a wet & dry sand but lightly and then paint it & rub it again lightly with wet & dry ( fine ) and it should be ok mate i think you may noy have rubbed it enough

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i painted/laquered it came out fine, but dad touched laquer so started again anyway, it caame out fine 2nd time, left in primer to sell now though

·
Registered
21,815 Posts
A few reasons why that happend

The paint or handle was too cold

The handle had been painted and lacquered before and youd rubbed it down to spray again and the lacquer fumes split the paint.

Paint not mixed in properly

·
Registered
21,815 Posts
A few reasons why that happend

The paint or handle was too cold

The handle had been painted and lacquered before and youd rubbed it down to spray again and the lacquer fumes split the paint.

Paint not mixed in properly

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
its called crazing - and the most likely cause in your case would be that you applied the coats to heavily and then hit it with the hair dryer.

this would have only dried the top layer and when you applied more paint it would have caused the paint under it to shrink resulting in the mess you have in the pic.

you will need to strip all the paint off and start again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts