Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm an armchair-theory type as I am (a) quite lucky with my 1.7 and (b) useless in the practical sense. After a couple of years here, I wonder if there might be a problem with your MAF. iirc, with a burgered MAF the engine management will default to a cold setting which ties into your findings. What I do know is that cheapo MAFs are not liked by the C/Combo at all so buying a £25 new one is no help and the Bosch is eye-watering to buy, especially if it's not the problem. So, I'd hope that someone more useful than me chimes in but it's worth looking at a used Bosch (GM 0281002180) around £10-15 posted as a swap-it-and-see that also is a handy fallback spare to keep nearby.
Got one for £9 delivered so well worth a punt. I'm waiting on dropping anything on the EDU unnecessarily now, hopefully will get the proper diagnostic done tomorrow too or at least over the weekend. I really need to invest in a half decent ODB scanner for this type of thing is just something I put off and put off. If you managed to diagnose this in one hit then mate I owe you a few beers at the very least. When i end up buying some of your bits I'll make sure I bring you something from the right side of the Pennines to whet your whistle.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
JungleCat, most remappers list limiter removal as one of the options. Might be worth talking to your nearest. Time and travel is the major part of the cost so it might make sense to have a bit of other ecu fiddling done, depending on your engine. I'm pretty sure the 70mph stopper has been dialled into the ecu rather than some other means.

Dysh, I have to say those fan alloys look pretty nice. If they weren't 15" and Kilmarnock, I'd be more interested - I think they would look spot-on for a Combo and more so than Cav slabs which are either scraped or pricey or both. As for your warning light, keep an eye for any oil leaks (Marks152 reckoned it can crop up) or - my personal "watch out" - the only other 1.7Di weak spot is the diesel EDU (as it's often called) bit of brains at the lower back of the engine. Unlike the ECU, these can be swapped without reprogramming so they sell >£65 easily and certainly QUOTE]

Got a working take off edu for £40 delivered so between the two suggestions you've made I'm just under fifty quid in and who knows from your experience and making absolute sense then my fingers are crossed! Might even put on the steering wheel and lights tomorrow in a show of faith. I did put the cesaro alloys on regardless and they look way way better than those diamond hub caps. I'll get some more pictures uploaded over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Haha, you remind me of my housemates when I was studying here - particularly John from Leeds who would not drink Tetley's this side as it was brewed in Warrington and therefore not real. Don't worry about owing me; I've gleaned a lot of useful stuff from this forum so it's "pay it backward" after being here a coupla years and pass on what I've heard, which may not be the right call but there aren't many things on a Di. A used Bosch MAF for £9 total is very good; you'll have to take over from me as the bargain sniffer on the forum.

I think you're right not to throw money at the EDU without having more info. Even the "send it to us and we'll return it" types charge if they find nothing wrong. Opcom is the gear of choice for diagnosing and I have one of the clones. It's in Spain (I expected to be back there before now) and I didn't really understand a lot of it. Given that there was nothing partic wrong and a little knowledge goes a long way to wrecking a perfectly OK motor, I've not made inroads but those who do swear by it. The problem is making sure that you get the right piece of firmware and software of the many ebay clones that will actually work because many of them don't. I know what you mean about the generics and Torque Lite, which I do use but the codes they throw up can be erroneous. I have one and it has its uses (mainly to give me a flag that something may be up) but it's given me codes on the Modus and Combo that turned out to be nothing.

When you've had more of a look, or maybe before, it might be a good time to run a new thread specifically for the issue. It might be that the van-doer-uppers like me are reading this thread and some other - more handy - types not paying so much attention. I'm thinking, among others, but he really is handy - of Marks152. He has an uncanny knack of correctly diagnosing from reading a paragraph and he also knows all about what to get for opcom clones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Haha, you remind me of my housemates when I was studying here - particularly John from Leeds who would not drink Tetley's this side as it was brewed in Warrington and therefore not real. Don't worry about owing me; I've gleaned a lot of useful stuff from this forum so it's "pay it backward" after being here a coupla years and pass on what I've heard, which may not be the right call but there aren't many things on a Di. A used Bosch MAF for £9 total is very good; you'll have to take over from me as the bargain sniffer on the forum.

I think you're right not to throw money at the EDU without having more info. Even the "send it to us and we'll return it" types charge if they find nothing wrong. Opcom is the gear of choice for diagnosing and I have one of the clones. It's in Spain (I expected to be back there before now) and I didn't really understand a lot of it. Given that there was nothing partic wrong and a little knowledge goes a long way to wrecking a perfectly OK motor, I've not made inroads but those who do swear by it. The problem is making sure that you get the right piece of firmware and software of the many ebay clones that will actually work because many of them don't. I know what you mean about the generics and Torque Lite, which I do use but the codes they throw up can be erroneous. I have one and it has its uses (mainly to give me a flag that something may be up) but it's given me codes on the Modus and Combo that turned out to be nothing.

When you've had more of a look, or maybe before, it might be a good time to run a new thread specifically for the issue. It might be that the van-doer-uppers like me are reading this thread and some other - more handy - types not paying so much attention. I'm thinking, among others, but he really is handy - of Marks152. He has an uncanny knack of correctly diagnosing from reading a paragraph and he also knows all about what to get for opcom clones.
Well there's an EDU and the MAF on the way, I don't mind giving them a go first then I'll set up a new thread for it if needed :) As always thansk for your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A little progress but not as much a sI would've liked so far - I'm just waiting on the EDU being delivered (hopefully today) I pulled out the centre console and gave it a clean up ready for the first try of alcantara wrapping. I've gone for a 2 mm foam backed for this bit, didn't want it too plush and pronounced and if I ruin it completely I've found a take off for £18 delivered so nothing to lose really!

I chose a dark grey to do the first trial with the covering, it will probably end up black but wanted to see what it looked like on so hopefully it'll be delivered Thursday and we will see.
I'm aiming at getting the carpet out one day this week and get the body back to metal. Still need to choose the underlay, get the soundproofing ordered too for the doors and floor.
I think I'm just going to go with a generic van stretch carpet so I can match it up in the rear load space when that ever happens. Something like the below, that with underlay and sound proofing should be perfect with a decent heavy wool foot mat.

Steering Wheel with controls has been delivered, new stalk controls too as the others were a bit flimsy, also replaced a cracked back light cluster.
The replacement headlights will go on soon enough too ready for the mechanical aspect to be fixed properly.

Did get the wheels on too - They need to come off, be sanded and a good old rattlecan update but that can wait for now, still deciding colour between Anthracite/Dark Grey and Black

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I do like the enclosed-carpet rear but it's not hugely relevant to mine as it's a five-seat cabin and the rear is really for throwing in the deckchairs to the beach or the guff I want to take down to Malaga. HST, it would be nice to cut down on the vanniness and, although the very front end is seated nicely and has a few other tartups, noise control would be a big lift for me. When your carpets are up (again, luckily, I don't have to do that) the temptation to put down some of that sound deadening and also maybe extra door rubbers would get under my skin. However, for domestic travel and lugging it might not be such a big deal. That's the thing about the Combo; wheel arches full of rubber and 2 litre turbos for some, skyscraper ground clearance and 1,000 rpm torque grunt for others (and me in-between).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I do like the enclosed-carpet rear but it's not hugely relevant to mine as it's a five-seat cabin and the rear is really for throwing in the deckchairs to the beach or the guff I want to take down to Malaga. HST, it would be nice to cut down on the vanniness and, although the very front end is seated nicely and has a few other tartups, noise control would be a big lift for me. When your carpets are up (again, luckily, I don't have to do that) the temptation to put down some of that sound deadening and also maybe extra door rubbers would get under my skin. However, for domestic travel and lugging it might not be such a big deal. That's the thing about the Combo; wheel arches full of rubber and 2 litre turbos for some, skyscraper ground clearance and 1,000 rpm torque grunt for others (and me in-between).
I don't think I will completely enclose the rear space with carpet but that is the stuff I will use to do the front cab over the top of some sort of polymeric aluminium covered sound proofing then some vehicle specific non rot non damping foam, cover the main areas with some deep wool carpet mats and I Think that should suffice rather than the moulded corsa or combo reused carpet.

The more I go along the less likely a more powerful engine will go in it although I would be interested in a 6 speed box (not sure how easy that would be, I've never changed one myself nevermind upgraded to a completely different box but that for now is well and truly at the bottom of the list) I l;ike the 15s it dpoesn't need lowering or jacking up for me either, I think it sits just right to be fair, esecially when I get some load in the back. I would be interested in swapping to some new shocks and springs at some point but the interior and little broken niggles on the exterior are the main things. I'll get the headlights on this week, the EDU when that turns up (was hoping for yesterday but looks like tomorrow now with the tracking), the centre console to wrap int he next couple of days to see how hard that is to do and whether I'm being overly confident as usual about things that are way harder to do than I think they are and then the carpet can fully come out.

ICE I am still looking at, I just can't decide. I am thinking no double din now just a bluetooth headunit though I do like the prospect of a reverse camera for the towball etc., alongside a discreet (when off) LED reversing/work-light but as I'm thinking a leisure battery with Plug sockets and USB etc., something like this in the front floor panel under a kick flap where the cavities behind the front seats are, a battery in one the gubbins and sockets etc. in the other. I've never done it before but think it would be a nice little addition if I can do it for sub £100 I'm in so the hunt goes on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So no EDU delivered again but the fabric was so my first attempt at wrapping some of the plastic in Alcantara (Well a manufactured foam backed version of the stuff) which didn't go exactly according to plan, it isn't a complete failure but there were definitely lessons learned which was the plan really, not done it before so go in with both feet and if it works then happy days if not then don't make the same mistakes twice the next time. A bit too much glue in places, the way the plastic undulates and curves in extreme ways doesn't lend itself to the stretch of the fabric enough to cover seemlessly sadly, there is a fold which will be come more discreet just infront of the gear gaitor but when it's in place you can hardly see it, I'll know it's there and it will bug me but I just need to figure the best way to make it look like it was meant to be there. The top cavity storage bit is going to be a two piece affair too so was thinking maybe do the cavity inserts in black or a darker grey to make it look purposefully done, but really didn't want to detract too much from the grey,.. I don't know, I'll get it finished anyway to see what other lessons there are to be had then plan the next trial.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got the electrics reinstalled it all sits together quite nicely just need to cover the little cubby box thingy in the very top Cavity and it's good to go for now. This will definitely be done again at some point but for a first attempt I've learned plenty. Let's hope the EDU fixes the driving issue tomorrow so things can get moving again
IMG_20210525_214524.jpg
IMG_20210525_220036.jpg
IMG_20210525_215945.jpg
IMG_20210525_220005.jpg

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have to say, I think you've done a very decent job on your centre console. Yes, there's an overlap on the socket section but other than that it's a near-pro job to my eyes and I made such a disastrous job of a leather-look vinyl replacing the (theoretically easy and rectangular) loading door cloth that I know how sweary and fiddly this work can be. There are a lot of YT videos worth watching for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have to say, I think you've done a very decent job on your centre console. Yes, there's an overlap on the socket section but other than that it's a near-pro job to my eyes and I made such a disastrous job of a leather-look vinyl replacing the (theoretically easy and rectangular) loading door cloth that I know how sweary and fiddly this work can be. There are a lot of YT videos worth watching for this sort of thing.
Thanks pal, I'm happy with it as is for now I know which bits I need to do differently so need to get time to get the carpet out, the metal work cleaned up and the leaky hole fixed. Not enough time in the day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
EDU turned up with the fob buttons (long shot I know) MAF there too just in case and the usb for the dashboard. Plenty to do today but real life just getting in the way. Need to find out the easiest way to swap the EDU too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Half an hour later we have two swapped units, a van that has driven faultlessly for ten minutes and a very happy HAL. @ozsubrosa I owe you that drink sir!
IMG_20210526_145059.jpg
IMG_20210526_145109.jpg

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Fabulous. Obv, 10mins is too short for the all-clear sirens so I won't pat myself just yet, but the EDU was always a contender and - if it turns out that way - it's one of my rare "Oz makes a correct call" suggestions. I say rare; this might be my 2nd since joining. Also, don't chuck your EDU that's McDuff (even if it is) as the send+return-fixed people are now - for reasons I don't know - offering around £30 for the service. I know that any working EDU off a 1.7 fetches £45 minimum and often £50-60. A refurbed one is surely an even better thing to have. I am seriously wondering about carrying such a thing before my next Malaga run, especially as it might well be changed to ES plates next time and Spanish spares are horrendously priced compared to UK. It's also one of those "no programming - just get your spanners/screwdrivers and be back on the move" parts like the MAF that's worth keeping close by.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts