Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone hope everyone is well given the circumstances :)

Fitted one of these head units today but didn’t have the chance to drive with it until this evening and I noticed a very slight whine in the speakers.I’m quite sure it’s not the alternator as with the world rebound blaupunkt car 2003😑 there was no issue with the speakers and sound.

I have watched a few videos of people saying it might be a ground cable issue and to get an in-line noise suppressor (not a clue what that is) was just wondering if anyone has any suggesting of how I can fix the noise. :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you junked the original cage for your OEM HU, you might be lacking shielding and getting interference?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have all the parts for the one I took out but the cage is slightly different so I couldn’t use it. I’m almost sure it’s a poor grounding issue but I don’t know where to start in the process of fixing it ?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Before you do anything possibly tricky like fitting a suppressor, it's quite possible that you've shoved the new HU in and got wiring all scrunched over it causing interference. Firstly, try pulling the unit out and carefully placing it back in whilst doing your best to keep the wiring straight and behind it. It might be something that simple that improves the sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So today I refitted the unit entirely, I also re used the old original cage unfortunately to no avail. Funnily enough I tried and retrain a few times to make sure I wasn’t just messing it up and getting the wiring wrong. I have watched a few other videos which sound as if they have the same issue and they are saying to take the ground wire from the back of the unit and ground it to its self (mean while wrapping it around the ports and making sure there is contact with each one) going to give that a try tomorrow and will update you :)

On a brighter note I went to the breakers yard (strange place, they were still using old oil drums with fire in the heat their stained hands) and managed to pick up the front chrome piece for the car at only £5. Which is a massive saving of £32 if I was going to get it off the internet for £37 very pleased 😁

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Many breakers are unchanged from the 70s and are on their 6th generation of Doberman on a chain guarding the yard.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The fitting of a noise choke or suppressor may be your only answer. Most branded head units come with them on the harness kit from factory. I can not see what make yours is? Some even have it built in to the head unit.
This used to be a very common fault back in the 70's/80's after fitting a radio or if you were lucky upgrading the factory fitted one.
Did you have the noise with the stock radio?
A noise choke on the power supply to the radio or a capacitor on the alternator fixed it.

This diagnostic guide may help you,

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
In my 20s, I discovered Radio 4 because my Pug 104 aftermarket sounded like a Kenwood Chef and only LW radio cut through, so you're in (some) luck. Bigpraidey's HU looks like Autofather, which is often the brand name of the Chineebay mp5/phone mirror units. I'm condsidering something like it for my Combo Tour. My CDR2005 lacks features of course but it used to sound fine until I noticed a constant, high-frequency whine lately. It's just occurred to me that I had to have the alternator replaced when I was last in Malaga and that might not be a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Most alternators now have the noise suppressors built in now.
Probably not the best of quality head units then. But for the price they are you can't complain really i guess? My fitting kit was 3x what these Chinesium ones sell for. But i like my audio so it needs to be right.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My replacement alternator was a Hella, not the cheapest, so I'll assume it's unrelated. Also, the hi-freq noise is constant (only increases in amplitude with the volume knob). I'd consider one of those Autofather jobs myself because, as you say, I'm not hugely bothered about HQ audio so long as there isn't irritating interference such as Bigpraidey's getting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fitting of a noise choke or suppressor may be your only answer. Most branded head units come with them on the harness kit from factory. I can not see what make yours is? Some even have it built in to the head unit.
This used to be a very common fault back in the 70's/80's after fitting a radio or if you were lucky upgrading the factory fitted one.
Did you have the noise with the stock radio?
A noise choke on the power supply to the radio or a capacitor on the alternator fixed it.

This diagnostic guide may help you,
So these items on eBay and Amazon, are they both necessary or just the one, with the noise suppressor filter I just unplug the HU AND attach the necessary colour wires eg. Red to red yellow to yellow, from there does the black cable need directly earthing it can it just connect to the black cable ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You should only need the 1 that goes on HU wiring, Be sure the one you buy is of high enough amperage to work with your head unit. There should be a list of specifications in the hand book of the new HU?
The noise filter would have instructions with it, 1 wire to battery power, 1 wire to switched power and 1 wire to the ground/earth of the car NOT INTO THE EARTH WIRE OF THE HU!! DIRECT OT EARTH POINT OF ITS OWN!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should only need the 1 that goes on HU wiring, Be sure the one you buy is of high enough amperage to work with your head unit. There should be a list of specifications in the hand book of the new HU?
The noise filter would have instructions with it, 1 wire to battery power, 1 wire to switched power and 1 wire to the ground/earth of the car NOT INTO THE EARTH WIRE OF THE HU!! DIRECT OT EARTH POINT OF ITS OWN!
Update, literally have just gotten out of the car after ordering the box it has been fitted and it sounds absolutely wonderful thanks for you help the both of you if is wasn’t for you two then I would be driving to my destination listening to the wind... legends ❤

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Glad to hear you're sorted, but I'll pass my portion of thanks over to z22se. I gained as much from this thread as you did. I'll be changing the speakers (Pioneers) and possibly the HU this Spring so I'm a lot more clued up than I was before you had your issue.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Every day is school day. None of us are to old or experienced to learn something new. I have been installing sound system to the Tigra over last few months. Car is parked up for winter so no rush. Anyway after getting it all in, HU, amp, wiring, door speakers and sub (JL Audio/Alpine) it sounded total pants! thinking it was the HU I swapped to an old good HU still pants! spent ages checking settings, different amp, wiring etc to find the hold down screws for door speakers were to long and touching the metal work of the door distorting the speaker basket slightly, backed screws out a bit and it sounds great :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Shorter screws needed!
Glad you got it sorted (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts