Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of pics of the Beam swap ive just done:

Oh and im an idiot because i didnt realise my 14 inch wheels wouldnt fit until i went to put them back on Do'h!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beam is from a later combo 1.3cdti i believe. has all the gear for ABS too but mine doesnt have it.

Found some wheels to fit locally too.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Nice work, Ferret. I'd like to have that done (not a DIY for me); I dislike the drums on my Combo Tour aesthetically and functionally. I could have helped you out with 15" alloys, they're coming out of my ears, but you got sorted locally so all's well. How much labour do you estimate that amounts to? Disc axles from the 1.3 and 1.7 CDTis come up (not cheap, usually) and I'll keep it on my to-do wish list.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biggest bugbear was all the seized unions on the brake lines without those and an assistant you could swap a fully built beam in under an hour with ease 6 bolts in to the floor x2 bolts for the Shocks and thats it mechanically. The rest of it is plumbing really, had to make up some new brakelines as the two to the rear sides were boggered after i removed them.
Depending on how co-operative the bolts are you could fully prepare a bare beam in1-2 hours ready to fit.

Beam axle with no calipers or brakes i got for £80 plus postage
Caliper carriers were £20 each plus post from germany (noone had them new here)
calipers were £40 per side (would have been cheaper but i had no core to return)
discs were £27 for the pair
New handbrake cable was £25

So very roughly £250-300 with all the postage etc.
You could do it cheaper with all used bits but wanted to start fresh.

And of course that total doesnt include my idiocy with the wheels....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The axle beam is the same for discs or drums, the parts needed for the conversion, calipers,mounts and discs are all common Astra g parts, no need to pay over the odds for rare(ish) combo parts.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks, both of you. The xhrs total was particularly useful to me as I would have to go to the grease monkeys (either here or Spain) to get the work done. I lack facilities, tools, space and - not forgetting - skill and luck (every improv I do has some bizarre twist). I remember you mentioning the Astra G connection before, Mr drew; I'll keep an eye (new rotors make sense, of course).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts