Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a Y-reg 2000 Corsa as a runabout,
Just gone to replace the stereo in it, (never really tested the stereo before hand, as the bottom half of the display on the centre console didn't/doesn't show anything when you turn the radio on. so couldn't tune or test.)

Anyway brought a cheap Sony stereo to plug in a use, however I only get sound from the left boot speaker. is this because I need a convertor cable like the "pc2-85-4" or is it because the previous owner played with and cut some of the stereo cables or that all the speakers apart from the rear left are toast?

I've included a pic below of what concerns me but I'll be honest I don't know much about cars or stereo's but a quick google search didn't seem to bring back results of what stereo cables should be connected and not cut.

So is this more likely to be that the speakers have just died over time before I got the car, or that the wiring has been bodged and needs fixing, or that I simply need a converter for the stereo...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pinout schematics

Those chopped wires belong to speakers, Is the other section of those wires anywhere to be found? I'd start with bonding each wire as it should, they are all color coded.
Thank you for this!

Armed with what you said and taking another look at the photo

It looks like those cut cables, the other ends going into the two red "crimp sleeves"(sorry don't know there proper name)

One has Yellow and Blue in but only Yellow out. the other has Brown/Blue and Brown/Yellow in but none out.

However it seems strange that out of the loose wires only the Brown/Yellow has been stripped, so that one could has came loose as I removed the old radio but the others surely wouldn't work without the core stripped?

So this looks like 4/5/6/ on B, are disconnected, but with 1/2 and 7/8 should that not be sounds from both speakers? though I suppose one of the speakers could have blown...

The problem is I don't understand electronics enough to even guess at what they where trying to accomplish with the disconnected striped/non stripped wires.... and if there is a risk of me connecting them back up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If what's left of the audio harness and installation hasn't been modified, the only outcome of redoing the chopped harness should be a functional set of speakers. Unless your speakers are damaged, but I must add that my radio died instead of the speakers 😅

As far as I know ( I'm no expert whatsoever):

Every pair of + & - is 1 a coupled signal per speaker. The positive signal makes it "pop out" and the negative signa makes it "pull inwards" or vice versa. Meaning that your speakers need both voltages.

Looks like you have most of your wires crimped together. Check the colors, undo the mess and bond/crimp them together, just follow the color codes in the actual wires(don't trust my Paint skills...):

·
Registered
501 Posts
If they are cut by something it will be, check that they are not short or have tension and they spoil the radio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I wanted to report back,

I have disconnect the brown/blue and brown/yellow from the crimp, and connected them back up directly so the only not connected wire at the moment is the blue, it was a little short where it was cut so just waiting for a mate who is going to bring over some spare crimping jacket things he has. but I know have sound coming from the front two speakers and and the rear left speaker.

I'll attack the blu cable in tomorrow but as mentioned just wanted to say thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts