Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new the forum!

I've recently bought a 2005 Corsa C 1.8 Sri that suffers from wet footwells when it rains!

This only occurs on the drivers side so I believe I have the infamous problem where the gasket around the brake servo becomes brittle and no longer prevents the ingress of water.

Now that the weather has turned, I can only see the problem getting worse and I need somebody to sort it for me.

Can anybody recommend a person / garage that can

1. Dry the car out fully
2. Resolve the problem
3. Doesn't cost the earth :)

I am based in stevenage, Hertfordshire so please bear that in mind with any recommendations.

Thanks so much guys!

Robbie

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It does sound like the standard footwell leak problem. I'm not in the Stevenage area but any backstreet op must have come across a C with this at some point. There's a lot of Youtube and Marks152 here on the forum has written up the fix thoroughly. If no-one here has a garage recommendation near you, perhaps you could email promising candidates and link a video for a quote. Here's where Marks starts to write about his leak fixing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate! Hopefully somebody can recommend somebody nearby otherwise I'll have to ring round and see if anyone is prepared to look at it..such an annoying problem! 😂

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The leaks on drivers side could be servo seal, bulkhead seal or clutch master cylinder to bulkhead seal. Mine was leaking from all 3. Bulkhead seal and servo are the 2 common areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,

I tried a couple of local places this morning... only 1 of them were actually prepared to even try to help lol :D

They quoted £225 for 3 hours work.. does this sound reasonable?

They can't do it until the 16th though so any advice on what I can do before then to help prevent water ingress? I was thinking of parking facing downhill and get myself a cheap waterproof car cover?

Cheers,
Cookie!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No, that doesn't. It's a PITA of a job and no fun at all but its non-labour cost amounts to some Tiger Seal so they're looking for £70/hr. That sounds like they don't fancy it (furkle, gunge-scrape, apply gunge, check successfully sealed if you're lucky) and are pricing to put you off.

I have the problem, a bit, but mostly the car's in Malaga so I don't have a big worry. In the UK, my driveway is quite an incline and parking nose-up is asking for a wet carpet, horizontal is OK and reversing to park nose-down gives me no problems at all. Doesn't work for everyone, depending on how bad the seal's gone. IIRC, Marks152 had his parked half on the kerb and tilting it away from that footwell reduced it.

I've bought a few of those cheap car covers, mainly for the fierce Malaga summer sun, and they last no time at all. Once a rip starts (very soon) the wind makes it a tear the length of the piece. Also, I just got the half-ones that cover the roof and glass and they're enough of an ache to put on. The full-size ones would be a twice-daily ache of immense proportions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, that doesn't. It's a PITA of a job and no fun at all but its non-labour cost amounts to some Tiger Seal so they're looking for £70/hr. That sounds like they don't fancy it (furkle, gunge-scrape, apply gunge, check successfully sealed if you're lucky) and are pricing to put you off.

I have the problem, a bit, but mostly the car's in Malaga so I don't have a big worry. In the UK, my driveway is quite an incline and parking nose-up is asking for a wet carpet, horizontal is OK and reversing to park nose-down gives me no problems at all. Doesn't work for everyone, depending on how bad the seal's gone. IIRC, Marks152 had his parked half on the kerb and tilting it away from that footwell reduced it.

I've bought a few of those cheap car covers, mainly for the fierce Malaga summer sun, and they last no time at all. Once a rip starts (very soon) the wind makes it a tear the length of the piece. Also, I just got the half-ones that cover the roof and glass and they're enough of an ache to put on. The full-size ones would be a twice-daily ache of immense proportions.
Thanks mate I really appreciate your inputs!.. I'm still hoping somebody can recommend someone in Hertfordshire / surrounding areas that can help me out!

All the best

Cookie

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Mine originally pissed in no matter what. I sealed the bulkhead and servo and thought I'd fixed it. It would rain all night and the floor was bone dry but would leak when driven. So I dried it out and got a funnel and 3ft of hose pipe. Filled the hose about half way with sodium benzoate(talc will work too and smells great) then pointed it up towards the back of the pedals etc and blew it all out until the whole area was covered with white powder. It looked like a drug deal gone wrong. Then took it for a drive in the rain. After 5 minutes I could see instantly where it was leaking from, this time it was the clutch cylinder seal. It had a foam seal which had deteriorated so I ripped it out with long nose pliers. Got my tiger seal gun with some hose pipe on it to make it easy to reach the places needed and covered the area where the foam seal was. It didnt look too good as it was a nightmare to reach but 2 years on it's still water tight. Cost me about a fiver for the tiger seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts