Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I have a fairly simple question (if not dumb, too).

I went back to the original CDR 2005 car stereo because my aftermarket was (and looked) pretty bad. I was thinking of replacing it with the CAR 2003, because it plays cassettes (and I can use a cassette adapter anyway for my mp3 needs). The main reason for this is that I want to use the steering wheel controls (I know there are adapters for aftermarket units), and it also looks better to me.

My question is: will the steering wheel radio controls work with a CAR 2003, without any modifications? I guess the same goes for the display, because I know the names of radio stations and stuff didn't show like they do with the original unit.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Yes, if you get the radio code, the CAR 2003 will work with your display and SWC. I don't know if the button to move a CD on a track will do anything with a cassette, but volume up/down and radio station changes should.

Unless you really have cassettes that you want to play, I would stay with the CDR2005 (a decent head unit) and buy one of these FM transmitters that convert your mp3 or phone output to a radio frequency

I have this exact type set to 87.5MHz, and I previously bought a different one (now more expensive) set to 108.0MHz. Both work well; the more recent, cheaper one sounds better. This may be because 108MHz in Spain can get some interference from Morocco while UK is more tightly regulated but I've used both types in the UK and the cheap one still sounds better to me.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
If coroneltapioca has a lot of cassettes, then it can make sense but, if it's just to get a tape - to - mp3 connection, I wouldn't do it. I don't think the quality is as good as the bluetooth mp3 to radio (they almost all have a mini jack connectioin but bluetooth works very well) and the default 108.0 or 87.5MHz can be changed if you get interference where you live.

A CAR2003 will have to be found from a breaker and they will charge a lot more than the price of these Chinese bluetooth devices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, if you get the radio code, the CAR 2003 will work with your display and SWC. I don't know if the button to move a CD on a track will do anything with a cassette, but volume up/down and radio station changes should.

Unless you really have cassettes that you want to play, I would stay with the CDR2005 (a decent head unit) and buy one of these FM transmitters that convert your mp3 or phone output to a radio frequency

I have this exact type set to 87.5MHz, and I previously bought a different one (now more expensive) set to 108.0MHz. Both work well; the more recent, cheaper one sounds better. This may be because 108MHz in Spain can get some interference from Morocco while UK is more tightly regulated but I've used both types in the UK and the cheap one still sounds better to me.
Thank you for the reply!

Using one of those transmitters didn't even cross my mind, to be honest. Although, to be fair, I didn't have a good experience with one in the past, and I thought a cassette adapter would perform reasonably well.

The main reason was purely aesthetic, I'll be honest. And since I found a CAR 2003 for 25€ (they're usually more expensive), I thought it would be worth it.

ANYWAY, your solution is much better and get to keep everything original. So thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts