Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17 and looking to buy a corsa c around march, passed my test on 14th december and am looking around at insurance quotes to get an idea.

I'm typing my information in and getting stupid quotes between £2-4K, this surely isn't right.

Any ideas on why it could be expensive as Im puzzled and this is really making me think twice about buyin a car.

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
the average insurance price for a first time driver on own policey is £2K+ now iirc

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Unfortunately mate, it is right. We have to have insurance and they know it, so charge through the roof prices.

Nothing you can do but just keep getting quotes, and get a second job lol

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
have you tried adding your mum/dad to the policy as named drivers? it brought my insurance down a bit, saying that i was still almost £1500 for my first year

·
Registered
227 Posts
Chances are you're gonna have an accident, and if you do the insurance companies will want you to have paid enough to cover what they pay out. Perhaps look for less valuable cars with small engines that are older!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is nothing that would seem to put it right up, it's on a drive, parked in the secure car park at work, I have no points, and live in a fairly nice estate.

I'm not sure if my overall area is bad for quotes though ? postcode ne31 ?

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
have you tried the admiral 10 month NCB booster ?

i'v got this, i find that its about £300-400 cheaper then most other companies

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you fancy being dangerous you could insure it third party? you'd be constantly on the edge like, as any hits/crashes/scrapes would have to come from your pocket... and if you wrote it off.. ouch.

then again, if you see the 2k as wasted money, and the cars worth around 2k... its not that big of a deal (< me trying to find a good point or whatever..)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried admiral and the price is still silly, for some reason direct line and churchill refuse me a quote which is puzzling for someone who has had no convictions parks the care in a fairly safe area and has added a parent who has 15 years or so NCB

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
have you tried it without having anyone else on the policey ?

mines cheaper just on my own

·
Registered
493 Posts
as above your 17 new driver to the roads so insurance class you as a high risk driver. shop around get loads of quotes use both comparison website and contacting them by phone directly.

dont do what some do and have your mum/dad as the policyholder and you as a named driver a) its illegal as your driving the car all the time b) you wont be building up NCB.

could always get quotes for some other cars maybe an older corsa b, may be worth wating a year if the insurance is cheaper for another car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as above your 17 new driver to the roads so insurance class you as a high risk driver. shop around get loads of quotes use both comparison website and contacting them by phone directly.

dont do what some do and have your mum/dad as the policyholder and you as a named driver a) its illegal as your driving the car all the time b) you wont be building up NCB.

could always get quotes for some other cars maybe an older corsa b, may be worth wating a year if the insurance is cheaper for another car
all my quotes are with my mam on who has been a driver for years and has a very large ammount of NCB, thing is i've tried insurance quotes on micras, ka's, polo's, fiestas and lots others and there isn't much more than a few pounds here or there difference.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Im getting rediculous quotes too. Im 17 in april and have been looking for cars. Im quite a greedy teen so i want a modified corsa . well exhaust and alloys bucket seats etc lol and today i got quote of 11 grand but. My dad did some looking and can get it for around 3.2 or so which is still rediculous but i cant see myself driving around in a standard car lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm perfectly happy with it being standard atm, just want to get a car and start driving, i've found out the are is a high risk area but do they really expect to pay these prices some of them are 3/4 of my monthly wage, just did a quote on aviva and they want 5000 pounds thats ****ing riddiculous tbh.

·
Registered
21,815 Posts
Have you tried doing a pass plus course or advanced driving courses to drop premiums ? Also if you call the companies they can give you a better quote.

·
Premium Member
28,928 Posts
as poeple have said mate therse not alot you can do,

its purely down to your age/inexperiece behind the wheel...

besides parking it in a garage, adding a parent to the policy the only thing i can think of is a limited milage policy?

not the greates when you first pas your test as you always want to be put driving (i did just shy of 20k in my first year! lol)

just persist and try get as many quotes as possible

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the police wonder :roll:why there are so many uninsured young drivers. Fook paying like 3 grand for a £500 Corsa :lol:
It's a laugh, cheapest quote i've got was on a 1.0 life or comfort I did out of curiosity ages ago, now i'm doing quotes on these models and getting nothing below 2.5k ish fully comp or 2.2k third part or so :roll:

does insurance premiums go down with age ? as in theory I wont have bought a car till after my 18th

1 - 20 of 53 Posts