Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the Yellow Relay to solve Indicator Problem
The hard bit was moving the battery and the top cover of the relay box to replace the yellow 6 pin relay (GM 09 134 880) . I found that the top cover of the box had been split or "levered" by mechanics "back in the day" to allow access to this same yellow relay ( at least this is what I think because this fast flashing had been an ongoing problem over the years and so maybe the just smashed the cover open!!! ) So I decided to buy a new top cover from GM (about £40.) . They wanted a similar amount for a replacement yellow 6 pin relay so I decided to use Ebay and got one for about £7.00 . I tried it this morning but the fault is exactly the same (fast flashing on right side)- so it is not the relay that is causing the problem .When I tried my cheap OBD2 testers some time I felt they worked on the Corsa when I got "no codes" but now they just generate fails and they question whether the Corsa is OBD2 compatible . So possibly there are 2 problems . The pedal test just gives continual flashing which means there are no faults ( I think) I assumed from watching the You Tube videos the changing the relay would fix the problem . Could it be the bulb itself that is faulty? Help appreciated -thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replacing the Yellow Relay to solve Indicator Problem
The hard bit was moving the battery and the top cover of the relay box to replace the yellow 6 pin relay (GM 09 134 880) . I found that the top cover of the box had been split or "levered" by mechanics "back in the day" to allow access to this same yellow relay ( at least this is what I think because this fast flashing had been an ongoing problem over the years and so maybe the just smashed the cover open!!! ) So I decided to buy a new top cover from GM (about £40.) . They wanted a similar amount for a replacement yellow 6 pin relay so I decided to use Ebay and got one for about £7.00 . I tried it this morning but the fault is exactly the same (fast flashing on right side)- so it is not the relay that is causing the problem .When I tried my cheap OBD2 testers some time I felt they worked on the Corsa when I got "no codes" but now they just generate fails and they question whether the Corsa is OBD2 compatible . So possibly there are 2 problems . The pedal test just gives continual flashing which means there are no faults ( I think) I assumed from watching the You Tube videos the changing the relay would fix the problem . Could it be the bulb itself that is faulty? Help appreciated -thanks
Some time later:=

I found this online "generally indicators flashing too fast mean an indicator bulb is blown somewhere which leads to the flashing ......" ( Well I did not know that )And so maybe the problem is easier to fix than I thought!!! I will check this idea out .

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, that's always been the case with my cars; a dud bulb causes that so have someone look while you flash (oo-er) or vice versa.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that's always been the case with my cars; a dud bulb causes that so have someone look while you flash (oo-er) or vice versa.
Today 14 Oct 2021 the packet of 10 Ring RB501A front indicator bulbs arrived . I got the amber ones ( the originasl wrre clear) as these were available cheaply for 10 and the indicator is amber anyway ( so I do not know why the originals were clear - perhaps they were cheaper at the time for the manufacurer to fit) . So next I then replaced all the front and rear indicator bulbs : unfortunately the lens's came off on both sides and , because gluing them does not appear to work , I have already ordered a pair to replace these . Next I cleaned the earth that connects to the body of the car on the inner wing (behind the washer bottle) and I also put the original relay back as replacing that had not made any difference .My efforts failed - it did not work , asit was just the same with the driver side flashing too quickly. .So I am looking for some new ideas - something that is not in the You Tube videos !!

What has been learned so far? A Summary:-

1) Mechanics from "back in the day" were probably in a hurry so probably used a screwdriver to prise open and damage the top cover of the relay box next to the battery . As it was cracked I had to buy a new one. I will fit it when I have solved the problem
2) Replacing the original yellow relay does not work
3) Replacing all the indicator bulbs does not work
4) Cleaning the earth to the inner wing (by the washer bottle) does not work

It is like I have done "nuffin"!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today 14 Oct 2021 the packet of 10 Ring RB501A front indicator bulbs arrived . I got the amber ones ( the originals were clear) as these were available cheaply for 10 and the indicator is amber anyway ( so I do not know why the originals were clear - perhaps they were cheaper at the time for the manufacurer to fit) . So next I then replaced all the front and rear indicator bulbs : unfortunately the lens's came off on both sides and , because gluing them does not appear to work , I have already ordered a pair to replace these . Next I cleaned the earth that connects to the body of the car on the inner wing (behind the washer bottle) and I also put the original relay back as replacing that had not made any difference .My efforts failed - it did not work , asit was just the same with the driver side flashing too quickly. .So I am looking for some new ideas - something that is not in the You Tube videos !!

What has been learned so far? A Summary:-

1) Mechanics from "back in the day" were probably in a hurry so probably used a screwdriver to prise open and damage the top cover of the relay box next to the battery . As it was cracked I had to buy a new one. I will fit it when I have solved the problem
2) Replacing the original yellow relay does not work
3) Replacing all the indicator bulbs does not work
4) Cleaning the earth to the inner wing (by the washer bottle) does not work
5) On another post it said that if the Hazard caused indicators to flash normally then it is the relay ( I think) . So if it is the relay after all then why did replacing it work work?
It is like I have done "nuffin"!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing I tried (an idea from an earlier thread on here) was to disconnect the battery for half an hour to let the relay reset . Someone on this site had tried that and it had worked for them .So I tried it - but no luck.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
With the drivers side indicator on you should have 4 flashing lights, front, side, rear and tell tale on the clocks. Are they all flashing. If not. Which ones not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happens if you turn the hazard lights on?
Yes pressing the HAZZARD made both sides normal . I thought that pointed to a faulty RELAY but that has been swapped to no effect But the replacement that I used was a cheap one ( a non Vauxhall one) . Another of the cheap ones is on the "slow boat" from China so I will be able to try that in a few weeks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the drivers side indicator on you should have 4 flashing lights, front, side, rear and tell tale on the clocks. Are they all flashing. If not. Which ones not.
Sorry I don't understand . With the right indicator on, we just get the 2 flashers as per normal - side and rear. (Am I missing something? I have a 1.2 16 valve hatchback)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I don't understand . With the right indicator on, we just get the 2 flashers as per normal - side and rear. (Am I missing something? I have a 1.2 16 valve hatchback)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Pic of Relay Box area:-

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Electrical wiring

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Cheap Side Indicator Lens ??

One purchase that needs a mod .Arrived today:- I got a pair of these on Ebay :- "For Vauxhall Opel Corsa C Mark 3 Combo side Indicator Repeater Lens Pair (1713240) on Ebay for £5.99 for 2 . The lens looks OK but the inner connetor is too loose fit and the wire connector falls out when clipped in . A possible mod would be to saw off the end of the original "connecting bit" that connects to the loom and araldite it to the end of the new one . A quick fix??

·
Registered
201 Posts
They work fine with the hazard light switch so the bulbs, wiring and relay must be OK, which leaves the indicator stalk as the probable suspect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They work fine with the hazard light switch so the bulbs, wiring and relay must be OK, which leaves the indicator stalk as the probable suspect.
Thanks for that suggestion . I was running out of ideas . The indicator stalk is a bit loose and imprecise and has been like that a long time .

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You have two of the fault-finding gods helping you now, so I'll butt out except that I have seen this problem before on the forum (not solved by a dud bulb replacement) and a quick search suggests it's happened to a few over the years. If the stalk isn't the cause (a cheap - 2nd hand - and easy fix - even I've replaced stalks) then here's a list of threads on the subject

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have two of the fault-finding gods helping you now, so I'll butt out except that I have seen this problem before on the forum (not solved by a dud bulb replacement) and a quick search suggests it's happened to a few over the years. If the stalk isn't the cause (a cheap - 2nd hand - and easy fix - even I've replaced stalks) then here's a list of threads on the subject
Thats great . Thanks for the info . I will look at these in detail. My thoughts at the moment:-

1) Doing what worked last time - the "de-oxidization" theory . Last time this was an easy fix , I just cleaned the contacts on the driver's side rear cluster and put a new bulb in - "bingo" it was sorted. But that has not worked this time.

2) The "both are duff relay theory" . With this theory the second new relay is seen as no good because it was only £7.00 and could not hope to compete with a "proper" £45.00 ( or thereabouts) Vauxhall one . Luckily a third relay is on its way from China so eventually this theory can be tested with another cheap £7.00 relay!!!

3) The "short" theory . This is the "worst" possible theory because it implies that water has got into the Relay box because of the split caused by the mechanics possibly levering the top years ago . This is the worst possible outcome .

4) The "stalk" theory . Well a new one of these has been ordered . From the "You Tube" video they seem to be easy to fix , so that will be done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "good bits"
Well I have "discovered" some large rubber bungs in the wings leading to the side indicators . These will provide great Waxoyling points for the inner wings for next year's Waxoyl top up session . Now I have a compressor I can do it properly (My brother-in-law says that Waxoyl causes "cancer" but I don't believe him because I believe in Waxoyl !!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats great . Thanks for the info . I will look at these in detail. My thoughts at the moment:-

1) Doing what worked last time - the "de-oxidization" theory . Last time this was an easy fix , I just cleaned the contacts on the driver's side rear cluster and put a new bulb in - "bingo" it was sorted. But that has not worked this time.

2) The "both are duff relay theory" . With this theory the second new relay is seen as no good because it was only £7.00 and could not hope to compete with a "proper" £45.00 ( or thereabouts) Vauxhall one . Luckily a third relay is on its way from China so eventually this theory can be tested with another cheap £7.00 relay!!!

3) The "short" theory . This is the "worst" possible theory because it implies that water has got into the Relay box because of the split caused by the mechanics possibly levering the top years ago . This is the worst possible outcome .

4) The "stalk" theory . Well a new one of these has been ordered . From the "You Tube" video they seem to be easy to fix , so that will be done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "good bits"
Well I have "discovered" some large rubber bungs in the wings leading to the side indicators . These will provide great Waxoyling points for the inner wings for next year's Waxoyl top up session . Now I have a compressor I can do it properly (My brother-in-law says that Waxoyl causes "cancer" but I don't believe him because I believe in Waxoyl !!)
From reading the above a few more "theories" have emerged:-

5) The "LED bulb theory" . Well I don't think I have bought any of these as I used the "proper" bulb numbers (surely LEDS would have different reference nos)

6) The "duff fuse" theory . Well I did find out that the Corsa has smaller fuses than the ones I have in my "parts bin" from 30 years ago! I have visually inspected some of the fuses but nothing untoward has been found yet (maybe more work on this needed)

7) The "connection from loom to lights" theory. Well this is an expanded version of theory1 above . It is a much harder version though as you have to know where all these contacts points are.

8) The "erratic behaviour theory" . The "engine" or similar thingy lighted up today on the dash and the engine ran erratically for a while . This was corrected after I switched off a couple of times . And another "erratic" thingy was a front lamp bulb lighting up briefly for no known reason . This also sorted itself out after a restart .

So I reckon I need to get a few fuses of the right type .And I need to figure out good places to start cleaning "loom to light bulb" oxidisation points.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If the new stalk doesn't fix it you could try swap all 3 LH bulbs for the RH bulbs complete with holders (no need to mount in to the car just connect the plugs up) If the fault moves it will be one of the 3 bulbs or holders. Never assume a component is 100% just because it is new.
Like marks said you should have 4 flashing bulbs if it is all working. Front, side, rear and on dash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the new stalk doesn't fix it you could try swap all 3 LH bulbs for the RH bulbs complete with holders (no need to mount in to the car just connect the plugs up) If the fault moves it will be one of the 3 bulbs or holders. Never assume a component is 100% just because it is new.
Like marks said you should have 4 flashing bulbs if it is all working. Front, side, rear and on dash.
That is a great idea thanks - I will try swapping them . I have also ordered a load of the mini type fuses

Yes if that is the case there seems to be a problem with the front - that is a gap in my knowledge on front indicators I think ,I seem to have forgotten about them!! . The indicator flashes OK on the dash - just the speed is wrong on the driver side .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts