Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title says

belive it or not i have been offered by a mate to swap my 53 plate 1.0 (18k)

for his wifes 2.0 focus ST170 52 plate with 60k complete with alloys and leather interior and it goes very quick ( well anything does compared to my 1.0)

aparantly she hates it and wants a smaller car its a straight swap and im very tempted its mechanically sound but the high mileage puts me off

what do you think i should do

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
id say go for it... if u dont like it then sell it for a juicy wee profit ;)

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
That's a good straight swap in my opinion :thumbs: As long as it's been serviced then go for it.

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
Ask if it has had faults regarding brakelines, intake manifold and dials. Nothing to worry about and they should have been replaced at one time or another. :thumbs:

Don't worry about steamy front lights, diesel sound at idle. It's all normal.

Some are known to stick at high revs, have a banging noise coming from exhaust (loose heatshield), squeaky seats (just raise them or Ford can carry out work on this for free) :thumbs:

Also, it may be very close to needing a new clutch if it's not already had one :thumbs:

Main ones I can think of :thumbs:

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
W30DOM said:
Ask if it has had faults regarding brakelines, intake manifold and dials. Nothing to worry about and they should have been replaced at one time or another. :thumbs:

Don't worry about steamy front lights, diesel sound at idle. It's all normal.

Some are known to stick at high revs, have a banging noise coming from exhaust (loose heatshield), squeaky seats (just raise them or Ford can carry out work on this for free) :thumbs:

Also, it may be very close to needing a new clutch if it's not already had one :thumbs:

Main ones I can think of :thumbs:
you just pulled that right out of ur ass dint you? how could the intake manifold be buggered at 60k? yes im sure the dials have been replaced??? you on the shrooms or the extacy again you halucinating nuttah?

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
MarkyG said:
you just pulled that right out of ur ass dint you? how could the intake manifold be buggered at 60k? yes im sure the dials have been replaced??? you on the shrooms or the extacy again you halucinating nuttah?
My dad has an ST170 so I am well aware of the faults (especially having driven it when the inlelt manifold tract problem kicked in) ;)

It is common for the entire intake manifold on ST's to be replaced if not just the part at fault. [redacted] and many other ST170 owners will confirm this. The pin connected to the intake tract cable is known to snap (as it's plastic) thus maintaining the intake tract in the 'wide open' position, this should only occur at around 6000RPM (I think). Hence power loss and it sounds like a dishwasher. Ford replaced the entire manifold which used metal pins ;)

As for the dials, they are known to flicker due to Ford's clever alternator which it turns out is not so clever to be honest hence the problem of sometimes flickering dials remains unsolved :thumbs:

Heatshields come loose and rattle like a *****.

The first ST170's (02 anyway maybe 52's) were recalled because the brakes often failed in cold weather as has happended to my dad. Solution - reroute brakelines (so as to warm fluid up sooner - apparently).

Any other ST issues you are unsure of then feel free to ask :thumbs:

I hope that answers your question MarkyG and no I haven't been on the shrooms but am a nuttah ;) :eek:

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
lol ur more sober than me mate, i think of intake manifolds as solid peices of steel and dials as inanimate peices of plastc

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
MarkyG said:
lol ur more sober than me mate, i think of intake manifolds as solid peices of steel and dials as inanimate peices of plastc
Shame on you :angry: :lol: :p You should know that the ST170 manifold is a dual stage inlet manifold :| :lol:

Dials have backing lights, needles that move and warning lights as well :eek: :p

You are drunk!!!!!!!!! :p :p

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
luckily i dont have facial hair resembling hitlers moustace on my lower lip like that fuka

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I wunt do it coz of the milage but it depends how long u wud keep the focus if you got it

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
CorsaNewbie said:
I wunt do it coz of the milage but it depends how long u wud keep the focus if you got it
60k miles aint high milage with todays engines.

The engines can easyily run for double that if not more.

I would deffo go for it mate, and if it aint for you, you know you can make a profit on it when you sell it.

I have driven both the original st and my mates ST stage 2 and they are amazing machines.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ok heres another option. Take the Focus, sell it and get an exclusive or SRI.
probly easyer to sell than a 1L and u may get more for it. I would just rather have a GM than a Ford.

·
Registered
211 Posts
SWAP SWAP SWAP!!

Don't listen to these muppets saying Ford are crap. I've got a Mondeo ST, awesome machine. Had a go in an ST170 and it was brilliant.

And like people have said, if you don't like then sell it and make some killer profit.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts