Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought alloy's for my corsa a few months ago, there brilliant in the dry, the car feels alot more safe to drive around bends going fast, but, in the wet..it's like the car is aqua plaining when i give a little bit of acceleration around a corner, even just cutting accross a round about the car just slides at 20-30mph. I can never recall my car doing this before the alloys at faster speeds than this.

Is this the same for everyone or is something dangerously wrong with my car?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I bought alloy's for my corsa a few months ago, there brilliant in the dry, the car feels alot more safe to drive around bends going fast, but, in the wet..it's like the car is aqua plaining when i give a little bit of acceleration around a corner, even just cutting accross a round about the car just slides at 20-30mph. I can never recall my car doing this before the alloys at faster speeds than this.

Is this the same for everyone or is something dangerously wrong with my car?

Cheers.

What type of tyres you got on your alloys.

is the wheels all balanced and the cars tracking all correct?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's Wolfrace Katana 17" alloys from rochford tyres.com - got Falken 205/40/ZR17 Tyres on them. They came balanced and i don't know about tracking? how do i check that?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It's Wolfrace Katana 17" alloys from rochford tyres.com - got Falken 205/40/ZR17 Tyres on them. They came balanced and i don't know about tracking? how do i check that?

Cheers.
Kwikfit can do it for ya.

Ive got Falkens on too and i do get a bit of slidding in the rain too, but just slightly.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
i notice too, i dnt feel confident at all driving round corners whens its wet, car seems to loose grip

·
Registered
774 Posts
RickySXi said:
205/40/ZR17
Those are seriously wide tyres, compared to the standard 185 section that the Corsa is designed for. All other things being equal it means you can actually reduce the grip to the road as the pressure exerted on the road surface is less.

Think of it like walking in deep snow:

If you try it with ordinary narrow shoes on you sink because the pressure on the snow through your feet is too high for the surface to support you. If you put those tennis racket snow shoes on which are much wider, the pressure is spread across a wider area i.e. less downforce, so you can walk on top of the snow.

In other words, wide tyres + wet road can actually mean less grip.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Those are seriously wide tyres, compared to the standard 185 section that the Corsa is designed for. All other things being equal it means you can actually reduce the grip to the road as the pressure exerted on the road surface is less.

If you try it with ordinary narrow shoes on you sink because the pressure on the snow through your feet is too high for the surface to support you. If you put those tennis racket snow shoes on which are much wider, the pressure is spread across a wider area i.e. less downforce, so you can walk on top of the snow.

yeh what the old geezer said lol:dance:

·
Registered
7,198 Posts

never thought of it that way :), always thought wider tyres provide more grip

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the answers guys and girls ! Appreciated. I guess what i need to do is drive slower round corners in the wet and hope nothing forces me to emergency brake lol :D

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
get yourself some toyo proxes brill in the wet
i would disagree, i had them and they just slide about all over the place in the wet! uniroyal rainsports are supposed to be the best for drivin in the rain, but you shouldn't be taking corners etc quickly in the wet anyway

·
Registered
32,874 Posts

Sorry but I disagree, you want the maximum possible contact area (within reason) That comes from having wide tyres. Without meaning to sound rude I would write down the theory behind it but to explain it fully would take at least an hour to write up.

Aquaplaning and snow are different matters

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have this problem too, I think it's because of my cheap crappy tyres. I'm getting some new ones next week.

Has anyone got Toyo T1R's on their C? Are they good in wet?

·
Registered
196 Posts
cheap tyres are the worst thing you can put on your car and for the sake of a 100 quid can save you money in the long run when you crash the car

1 - 20 of 41 Posts