Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in remote Western Australia, I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future, due to state lines being closed due to Covid19, my family and home is 5000k's away, on the other side of Australia. I decide that if things get worse and as a worker who is considered 'essential', I could drive home if worst comes to worst. So I go looking for a smallish Van, Caddy, Kangoo, Berlingo, Combo etc, looking at prices and parts availability, I start comparing second hand Caddy's and Combo's, the price difference and cost of parts etc made the Combo the better choice. So it's a toss up between two, both 1650k's away. I make a deal on one of them, sight unseen, I pay the guy, it's $1800 Aud, so, now I own one, I'm expecting a price of around $500 to truck it up to me, that figure turns into $1100! Damn! So I toss around some ideas etc, then I find out that the state government of Western Australia is dividing the state up into around 8 areas, all to be closed off, to restrict travel between areas. They tell us this on the 28th of March, with a closure date of 31st of March at midnight. I was due on the 2nd for a 36 hour break from night shift as we can only work 8 nights in a row, I figure that if I moved that forward to the 30th of March, I could still meet the 8 night requirement for the rest of my roster, so I book a flight, finish Sunday night's shift, grabbed 3 hours sleep, jumped on a plane without telling management, was in Perth 1650k away by 11.30am, picked up the Combo, by 12 noon, when to the DOT, a hardware store, a locksmith to get a second key cut and programmed, filled it with petrol, grabbed a few items at the supermarket and hit the road. I left Perth at 4pm and was back in Port Hedland at 7.15am, travelling the 1650k North, overtaking multiple 3 trailer road trains on a two lane highway (one lane in each direction). Tuesday morning, didn't even check the tyre pressures, had a check engine light on the whole way, sat at 120Kph, acheived 7L/100K fuel economy out of the 1.4XEP engine. It was a carpet cleaning van, so pretty smelly inside, lots of spilt chemicals etc, I've cleaned it, polished it, repaired the A/C, fitted a 477MHZ 80 ch two way radio, fitted rear speakers, built a folding bed for one side, painted the rust matt black 15" rims silver and it's looking good!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Welcome to the Combo section. My Combo Tour has done UK-Malaga trips a few times (a similar distance) but I have the luxury of planning time and the usual maintenance (and it's the 1.7 Isuzu diesel which is unbreakable). Even so, you chose well and it's a pretty reliable, easy to maintain van. Keep us updated (y)

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,314 Posts
welcome

thats a fair distance

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have built a folding bed for the right hand side it hooks to the cage with a large gate hinge, latches to the cage when folded and has a chain for support at the rear of the vay to hook mounted at the roof between the two barn door strikers. I have also fitted a mount beside the cage for a 12v 27litre fridge, planning on adding a solar panel and group 31 battery to it, I have fitted 4 led strip lights in the back, rear speakers, driving lights and about to install central locking. The code is heating element O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I assume it's the post cat sensor, it resets but comes back on randomly, will be replacing that sensor soon, I have added seat covers because the vynil seats are comfortable but damn sweaty to sit it, have replaced the 3 way a/c hose and gassed the a/c, which is sensational now, even in 40 degree c heat you can feel it as you open the back door! I added an 80 ch unf 477mhz two way radio as well. A work in progress, fuel economy around town is excellent, which was a big factor in the purchase 280k for 1/2 a tank, it had oil leaks at the timing case, I replaced the crank seal and found all of the timing case and sump bolts loose by around 1/2 a turn, with a bit of a shudder when driving at very light throttle, I'm going to tighten all of the intake manifold bolts etc. See how we go, can only get better!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There's also a tutorial on this forum:

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I get the pedal test, I have a blue tooth obd2 scanner coming, they are quite cheap, is there an easy way to clear the codes, ie to put out the check engine light? I have done it twice with a scan tool already, but it's a borrowed tool and I try not to make a habit of borrowing tools, Opcom device is also on it's way, but I won't see it for at least another 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mmmm, not sure what you mean, but an active fault you can't put out, unless rectified or you fit a screwdriver in the dash LED. No obd2 thing can extinguish an present fault.
But I bet I got you wrong, please clarify?

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So for example the O2 sensor code on my combo, it triggers the light but doesn't stay active, so is easily reset with a code reader, is there another way to clear the stored inactive codes?

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front doors in and working, rear door solenoid fitted but not fully wired yet, the front doors are a pita, have to pull the locks and remove the sleeve from the manual lock button rod to attach the solenoids.

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, the central locking is fully installed and working properly, on all doors, I wasn't able to purchase the correct connectors for the sliding door, so I ran a twin sleeved wire from the center of the door opening to the front of the sliding door, it stays up out of the way. I wired up and mounted my 27L Engel fridge 12v just inside the sliding door against the bulkhead, drinks stay nice an cold now, going to add a solar panel to the roof and 2 deep cycle group 31 batteries under the van floor at the bulk head into what would be the Corsa rear foot wells, I added a section of sail track to the LH roof channel where the roof bars would bolt on and have made a lightweight poly tarp awning with 2 poles about 6'x8' in size, which slides into it just like a campervan canvas annex.

I did another return trip to Perth and back, 3400k round trip, it was eventful! Went down the Great Northern Hwy and came back via the North West Coastal Hwy, about 350k from home base, doing 125kph, in the dark, ten black cows run across the road in front of me, scared the hell out of me, slammed the bakes etc, swerved etc, almost hit an 26yo Aboriginal girl who was just past the cows. Stopped on the side of the road, the girl was having an anxiety attack, she had been left behind by her Aunties who were travelling south, we were 50k from the nearest petrol station / town, it was dark and getting cold, I give her a hug and tell her it will be all right, I'm not going to leave her there (which many people would do), I look back to the Combo, there is a heap of smoke coming out from under the hood, I open it and there is oil everywhere, I tighten the rocker cover down and we head to the next fuel stop, I pull in, it's shut, I knew I had to put fuel in from my Jerry can, there is even more smoke! I squirt a heap of spray and wipe kitchen cleaner over the engine to cool it and remove the oil that is flowing like a water fall from under the rocker cover on the exhaust, remove the rocker cover, clean it, reseal it with silicone, and bolt it down, top up the oil which was nearly 3L down, set off to Karratha, drop the girl at her home, she was very grateful. I grab some KFC (nearest store to home base some 200k from home base) then head to Port Hedland, got held up by a massive oversize load being moved down the highway, it's just on midnight, a van comes past offering free barrista made coffee and doughnuts! You little beauty! Large Cappuccino when the eyes are getting tired, thank you very much! Arrived safely back at base.

I ordered a new rocker cover gasket and got some advice on the cause etc, turns out the plastic baffle in the valve cover was 100% choked with carbon, I broke it out of the valve cover to clean it all out, once cleaned, I used high temp silicone to hold the baffle back in place, reassembled the cover and refitted with the new gasket, gave the engine a good clean and no more leaks!

I took the spot lights off as both of them blew the sealed inserts on that trip and have fitted a 32" LED lightbar, will see the cows a bit sooner now! And no, cows are not fenced in up here as the cattle stations are way too big to actually fence in. What do I mean by big? Some of the cattle stations in Australia as so big that they have a 6 hour drive from the front gate to the house!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I haven't had any comparable drama on my runs to/from Malaga - replacing an H7 bulb the most so far - but I did have a hyuge wild boar run across the road in front of me near Carcassonne. Fortunately, I saw a shadow move out of the periphery and it's an area known for it so I was ready for the brake and swerve. It would have written off the car, but kept me in pork until I found a replacement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts