Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I've got a bit of an issue here. I was driving back from a friend's house yesterday and during the journey heard this weird rattling sound which I've never heard before. This worried me a bit but I kept driving anyway.

The noise persists until I get to a particularly hellish bit of road rife with potholes and CLANK! something sounds like it's almost... fell out of my engine? After this point the rattling stops.

I was just wondering if anyone has any guess as to what this could have been? My first guess would be a coil spring but it sounded more like it came from the engine so I'm not sure really. Having said this though, I'm sure cars are built so that things don't just... fall out of the engine, no? Any thoughts would be appreciated fellas.

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 Corsa C 1.0 Life
101 Posts
A rock? They can get wedged in there sometimes, if it hits metal on the way out it'll make a hell of a clang

·
Registered
482 Posts
My suspicion is that you probably had a piece of broken suspension spring sat in the bottom of the carrier that has finally worked its way free.

Jack up each corner and have a feel at the bottom of each coil spring (and in its holder on the strut) to see if there's a broken end

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My suspicion is that you probably had a piece of broken suspension spring sat in the bottom of the carrier that has finally worked its way free.

Jack up each corner and have a feel at the bottom of each coil spring (and in its holder on the strut) to see if there's a broken end
Yep, looks like you were right. I did have a sneaking suspicion it'd have something to do with the suspension. But yeah, I had a look at it and a sizeable chunk of the front driver's side coil spring had vanished. Any advice on where's cheapest to find a replacement? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Corsa C 1.0 Life
101 Posts
Yep, looks like you were right. I did have a sneaking suspicion it'd have something to do with the suspension. But yeah, I had a look at it and a sizeable chunk of the front driver's side coil spring had vanished. Any advice on where's cheapest to find a replacement? Thanks
Quick eBay search suggests less than £25 for a pair, no idea what the quality is like though

Edit: Probably worth doing both at the same time, if one's gone the other is unlikely to be far behind

·
Registered
482 Posts
I paid £30 for both of my fronts, mine's an SRi so they're slightly shorter and usually more expensive, but for the mileage I do the quality is fine. to be fair I also replaced my rears for £7.50 each and they're great, showing little signs of wear 18 months on!

(with the right tools they're a very easy job too!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts