Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa C 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have been looking to upgrade my stock Corsa speakers and am having a little trouble finding some.. this is due to me not having a clue.

When I bought the car it already had a new head unit in it, it's a Sony Xplod something... It says 52Wx4.

Do you guys have any suggestions what speakers may work best for me? I listen to mostly hip-hop and rap music if that helps.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you are planning to run them from the head unit then any 6.5" round speaker in the doors. you will also need adapters to mount them.
Speakers will start from around £20 a pair and go up.
Don't be fooled by peak power claims, look for continuous power handling. around 50-100 watts should be fine.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You will have tweeters housed inside the door mirror covers (just above the wagglers if they are manual mirrors, but it's easy to spot the speaker grille anyway). They're reasonably effective (unless they stop working; my driver's side tweeter stopped but it was immediately obvious) so look for component speakers to go in your round door bins. They have just the one cone and don't have some extra tweeter sitting in front of them (those are called coaxial speakers). So, on this site:

look at the component speakers rather than the coaxial ones. You might go down the rabbithole and want to get new tweeters (1") etc etc but some up-specced 17cm/6.5" should impress you enough on the bass front that you're happy to stop right there. It's well worth writing either an email or LiveChat on the website of whatever takes your fancy. These people do this for a living and they should know about what fixing brackets and (quite important) speaker depths will work with a Corsa C. Consider also budgeting for damping and generally getting rid of unwanted vibrations. Assuming that it's all about the bass, you want to hear the vibration from the cone, not your door metal and long-lost 5p coins dropped down there.

The rear speakers (I don't know, I have a Combo, not a C) are probably co-ax, but who cares about the rear? They can get out and walk if they don't like it. What I do know is that my Focus and Combo Tour has components down at my ankles, tweeters up near my face, and my Modus has just coax down at my ankles. The Modus sounds like :poop: whereas even std setup in the other two is pretty acceptable to me.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa C 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have tweeters housed inside the door mirror covers (just above the wagglers if they are manual mirrors, but it's easy to spot the speaker grille anyway). They're reasonably effective (unless they stop working; my driver's side tweeter stopped but it was immediately obvious) so look for component speakers to go in your round door bins. They have just the one cone and don't have some extra tweeter sitting in front of them (those are called coaxial speakers). So, on this site:

look at the component speakers rather than the coaxial ones. You might go down the rabbithole and want to get new tweeters (1") etc etc but some up-specced 17cm/6.5" should impress you enough on the bass front that you're happy to stop right there. It's well worth writing either an email or LiveChat on the website of whatever takes your fancy. These people do this for a living and they should know about what fixing brackets and (quite important) speaker depths will work with a Corsa C. Consider also budgeting for damping and generally getting rid of unwanted vibrations. Assuming that it's all about the bass, you want to hear the vibration from the cone, not your door metal and long-lost 5p coins dropped down there.

The rear speakers (I don't know, I have a Combo, not a C) are probably co-ax, but who cares about the rear? They can get out and walk if they don't like it. What I do know is that my Focus and Combo Tour has components down at my ankles, tweeters up near my face, and my Modus has just coax down at my ankles. The Modus sounds like :poop: whereas even std setup in the other two is pretty acceptable to me.
I can run Component speakers directly from the head unit? I always assumed that you needed to buy and amp and all that other stuff too? Excuse my ignorance 🙂

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
These are the standard speakers in the C (minus the tweeters)

which are components for the front and 2-way for the rear. I'm not fully up on the detail myself, not having upgraded, but the C is already set up such that the high frequencies are sent to the tweeters. I remember a thread some months ago (I'll try to find it) where someone asked about a choice of speakers and another member more clued up than me pointed out that they were co-ax and would interfere with the tweeters in the mirror covers (presumably some high-pass filtering is built in to the std wiring). This is the thread - with a link to previous threads. Rlaw, who woke me up about the component/coax thing, does still look in here and you could PM him for advice but, like I said, use the live chat or enquiry forms on car audio websites. If they suggest inappropriate speakers, you have some comeback on them.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa C 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are the standard speakers in the C (minus the tweeters)

which are components for the front and 2-way for the rear. I'm not fully up on the detail myself, not having upgraded, but the C is already set up such that the high frequencies are sent to the tweeters. I remember a thread some months ago (I'll try to find it) where someone asked about a choice of speakers and another member more clued up than me pointed out that they were co-ax and would interfere with the tweeters in the mirror covers (presumably some high-pass filtering is built in to the std wiring). This is the thread - with a link to previous threads. Rlaw, who woke me up about the component/coax thing, does still look in here and you could PM him for advice but, like I said, use the live chat or enquiry forms on car audio websites. If they suggest inappropriate speakers, you have some comeback on them.
Thanks for the help mate! Will be sure to do more research before throwing my... Somewhat limited... Money at speakers 👍🏼

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa C 2004
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!
Just throwing this here as an FYI for anyone trolling the internet as I was.
I have bought and installed my speakers now, the door trim were easy enough to get off.. although I did snap a clip or two..

The speakers I went with were : VIBE Slick 6.5” Component speaker - 90/270 W: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

And I used these adapters to allow them to fit the original speaker mounting holes : Autoleads SAK-3001 Speaker Adaptor for Vauxhall Corsa: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I got myself confused as I am a newbie with anything car or electrical related. I didn't think I had to use the crossover that came with the speakers as I didn't see one with the old speakers.... I WAS WRONG!

To fit the new crossoverI used the old mid-woofer wires and put them to the "IN" side of the crossover and the new tweeter cables to the "T" crimps and the new mid-woofer cables to the "W" crimps. I then just tucked the old tweeter cable into the door trim. I did have to use some extra speaker cable to get from the crossover (behind the mid-woofer) up to the tweeter (in the side mirror cover)

I hope this has helped someone! I am a complete newbie so if I have done something I shouldn't or you can recommend me anything, all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks, Jay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts