Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my daughter has a 1.2L 2005 Corsa and I need help with ideas that may be causing this problem.

At first it started with a dead battery, had to unlock car by putting key in lock and jumping the car to start. We fitted a new battery but within a week of not being driven, the new battery would be flat.

We completed a quick charging system check and found the battery was within the recommended 13.5 and 14.5 volts. When the car is running the battery is being charged so not the alternator.

The car was fitted with a telematics box and so we tested the drain:
  • The first test was with the black box device removed. We found 0.05 amps is drawn from the battery. Apparently this is considered acceptable as parasitic loads such as computer modules, alarm, dash clock etc run in the background.
  • The second test was with the black box fitted. We found the amps used by the black box varied from 0.06 to 0.08, giving an overall usage of 0.11 to 0.13 amps.
So when the insurance was due for renewal we took out a policy without a blackbox hoping this would help. Removing one of the biggest drains on the battery.

However, we are still finding the battery goes flat but it's random. Sometimes you can drive the car for 30 minutes, stop, go back 1 hour later and it won't start. Other times you can leave it for a week and it will start fine.

We have even noticed on occasions that you can't even start it with a set of jumper cables, those we have successfully used in the past.

I can only assume there is an intermittent fault with the electrics somewhere but how do you found out where or has someone else got any other ideas of what to check, maybe you came across the same issue before?

Your help is appreciated

·
Registered
357 Posts
Obviously you have a current consumption, if you have the radio changed, or some electrical addition suspect that, if not the only solution will be to start removing fuses and see if you find the consumer who is at fault

Years ago I learned of a Mercedes class A that the same thing happened to him and they realized that it was due to the wrong closing of the car door, after a while he drank the battery, began to remove fuses and after an hour or two he checked the battery consumption of the car. car

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What size battery do you have fitted?
Have you had the battery and starter checked?
Have you checked all the main earth/power points?

A weak/undersized battery or a faulty starter motor can cause the faults you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jewels and Corsaz22se, I will check the points you raised.

The battery is the correct one for the car. We had the battery checked and that was okay but I'm going to do that again and check earth/power points.

I once went through all the fuses and there wasn't anything obvious, however, she has been at Uni recently and her boyfriend fitted a new stereo so certainly check that. Part of the issue is it not being driven enough recently so hope that hasn't damaged the battery as it's been flat on several occasions. Last night it was at 5.79 volts so will remove from car and give it a good charge first.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Your battery should be an 065 or bigger, many motor factors will say its an 045 as they are smaller so cheaper and they will get a sale. If it's being parked for weeks at a time I would recommend an 075 or 100 battery size. That's what I have in my Tigra B and Corsa C that don't get used much.
I would also try disconnecting the new radio and see what happens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That the battery is bigger does not have any poor, simply when it is charged it will start faster than series, when the charge is gone and it is left to what the alternator gives it will start the same, do not put it smaller than it can explode by not storing so much tension, otherwise, equal or greater

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Partly because my Combo Tour has a lot of 12V stuff plugged in on its trips, but mostly because the vehicle is the biggest drainer on the driveway I've ever had (I can return to my Focus and Modus after months no problem) I have a 73Ah rather than the usual in mine. I also have a solar trickle charger but I remove the battery completely in the winter because it will go flat after a month unused.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts