Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, need a little help... won't be getting my ice install for at least a few months but was planning on getting a stealth shelf.. until i looked at the prices!! :shock: good thing is my dad's a joiner so i reckon he could knock me one up - but i don't really know how they're constructed? can anyone post lots of pics of theirs from different angles to give me some idea of how it works? cheers - also any places i could get the materials needed to cover it. tnx in advance :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I was thinking of a stealth shelf too.

Is it possible to stealth and sound proof an existing shelf or do you need to start from scratch with a new one?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not 2 sure m8... thatz really why i woz posting, but i think in most installs the original will start 2 vibrate coz itz pretty thin. the stealth shelves are thicker so are better to mount speakers in

·
Registered
379 Posts
hi,

i made mine from scratch. as u said, thinnershelves tend to vibrate and reduce sound quality. therfore if u use a sturdy shelf,the bass is more fuller and better quality, as the shelf is not absorbing all the bass vibrations. If ur gettin a sub and are only using the 6x9's for volume,it might be ok to mount on original shelf as u prob wont notice the difference. if ur only putting in 6x9 for the minute,is def best to build a shelf from scratch with thick mdf wood.

i used 18 mm mdf,which waas sturdy,but heavy. the bass from the speakers sounds clear and deep and not flimsy. im sure that 15mm shelf would be alright,but would not recommend anything thinner than this,as becomes very flimsey(u can tell by holding the wood by the sides and pushing it in the middle).

Im not to sure about re-enforcing your original shelf,as if you wre to go into all the trouble to do this,might aswell make a new one. all u need is mdf wood, a jigsaw, a pencil, spray glue(to stick the carpet to the shelf), and some carpet that matches your shelf. the glue u can get from maplins or alternative, the carpet from your local ice shop(they might be able to give u half a roll,like mine did, as thats all u need to cover the c's shelf),otherwise halfords do it.

hope this helps.

oh you need quite a bit of time and patience too.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how are they built then? is it just 1 sheet of mdf with 2 holes, carpet over the top covering the holes and speakers screwed in from underneath? if any1's got ne construction pics it'd b pretty useful so i can get my head around it, coz i've neva seen 1 b4

·
Registered
379 Posts
lol! that one looks totally crap! might aswell have just mounted the speakers on the shelf,coz that aint stealth! lol :lol:

anyway,yeah ur right,just cut out 2 holes for the speakers, stick the carpet on, screw the speaker on underneath. to add some curvers to ur shelf,just stick strips of carpet down the sides under the carpet ur covering ur shelf with,so that when ur shelf is finished it will look similar to original. Mate,if you put effort into it,will look better than the shelves u buy,for less than a 15 pounds!

i used black string to support my shelf,as i couldnt be arsed to detatch the original rubber things,which can most probably support the weight of the shelf. only thing is,the boot doesnt spring up on mine no more,have to give it a helping hand as the gas lifters are too weak!! :)

i will take some photos and post em up soon to halp ya! :wink:

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
Right, now I have returned, I can give you a quick guide and show you some pics.

Cut a piece of 12mm MDF 800 x 200mm (I haven't measured this, but should be enough!)

Using your templates, mark off for underside mounting of you speakers and cut the holes.

Cover in black to match the underside of your shelf (leave the holes clear)

Place the MDF against the underside of the shelf and mark the holes, and then cut them out of the shelf

Fix speakers to the MDF

Fix MDF to Shelf from the top of shelf with screws.

Cover top of shelf in Grey Acoustic Carpet to hide the holes and stop prying eyes!

You can tidy up your wires by drilling small holes in the MDF and passing your wires through it. Sandwiching them between the MDF and shelf, lead them to one end only. Use a piece of cable tidy (conduit or sock) and fit cables into that to get to side of car. I put a multi way connector in mine to allow me to disconnect and remove the shelf with ease. All this for £18 and a couple of hours of time.

An Overall View

A Tidy Hole for the Speaker Wires

Here you can see where the MDF and Shelf meet

Once the boot's shut, this is all you can see

To be honest it's not that different but then again, that's that idea :D

I hope this helps ya gooner

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ka$h that is a well designed and well put together shelf mate, I like the Multi Way connector, I'm putting phono plugs on my speaker wires when I get the new car on friday and having a soccket for them because I too like to be able to take the shelf out easily when needed :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice 1 fellas.. ka$h - looks sweet as m8 :thumbs: thatz exactly wot i want, totally hidden - i.e - stealth! ...doesn't the acoustic carpet sag over the holes that've been drilled?

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is what I have it's an auto acustics shelf but I got it cheap off ebay.

Just done the re-wiring of the speakers for when I get the New Corsa on Friday

Close up

Not a good pic but you get the idea the carpet on the shelf is very neat although I might change it to grey.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
I like the box QS.

gooner

The carpet is quite thick, and doesn't really sag. If you wanted to, you can fix a strap (or two) of cloth over the hole to support the carpet. :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in two minds about what to do now... i think the auto accoustics one looks slightly better (thatz not 2 say i don't like the look of urs ka$h!) and also it would mean i didn't cut up the original shelf. On the other hand, itz pretty expensive - that seems the only downside really. decisions decisions! :D

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
I must admit the shelf itself looks ok, but the thin strings on the side look a bit cheap, especially for the price your paying.

A new shelf isn't necessary when selling, as they'll never know if you trade it in, and they'll give you a naff price anyway. If you're selling private, a new one from vaux will still cost less than the aa one!

Also, the cabling on the aa one is a little too visible if you know what I mean.

Then again, I'm bound to favour what I've already got aren't I? :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ka$h, know what you mean about the black strings but they do the job also I know what you mean about the wiring I like the idea you had.
It's better the way I have done it now as before the wire's just hung down :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts