Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

again coming back with me troublesome corsa.

So to try and be brief I had my power steering rack replaced In may 2019, so just over 2 years ago as it was creaking and ready to go. Over the last few months however I have noticed a similar creak reappear when turning at low speeds or stationary. If the wheel is turned violently it turns into more of a knock (see video). Additionally only when there is weight in the car there seems to be a rattle of some sort (see other video) not sure if this is related or not.

I replaced my gearbox mount about 2 months ago.

So I just wanted opinions. could this be the rack again? It was only replaced with a brand new one 2 years ago and has only done about 10,000 miles if that since it was replaced. Just don't want it to turn into a money pit now. In addition to this does anyone know of anyone in leeds area that is good with Corsa's and cheap? Its turning into a nightmare this car and i am unfortunately clutching at straws with it now, just don't want to let go yet.

tia

Knock when turning violently :

Rattle when moving off if weight in car :

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
When you replaced the steering rack did you replace the arms behind the rubbers on the rack. As it’s sounds like them worn out. Think it’s called tracking arms. They a ball joint fitting. You can check them by pulling and pushing them up. Should move very slightly. With no sounds. The joints have grease in them. Would check that and the tracking adjusters on each arm this can do same if damaged.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Have you checked the uj's on the bottom of the steering column? the pinch bolts top and bottom can work lose over time and knock.
To check for play in the rack, jack one side of the car up and pull/push on the wheel that is in the air. You will feel any play and knocking then if it is in the rack on the ball joints.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the uj's on the bottom of the steering column? the pinch bolts top and bottom can work lose over time and knock.
To check for play in the rack, jack one side of the car up and pull/push on the wheel that is in the air. You will feel any play and knocking then if it is in the rack on the ball joints.
Hi both, thank you for your replies. So I have had another look and done as you have suggested (push and pull on the wheel when jacked up.) I did this on both sides and the knocking was just not there at all. It is only creaking and periodically knocking when at a standstill/moving slowly.

It's driving me insane now, I am due to travel from Leeds to Glasgow and back next week, which is 250 miles each way so am now getting a bit worried on whether it will get me there and back. I've took a picture of each side of the wheel where the track rod ends are. It might also be worth noting I did replace the drop links on each side a few months ago so it can't be those.

I did hear and read that the strut top mounts can make a similar sound when they are shot, and I did replace those too at the same time of the steering rack as I thought they were causing the issue. Could that be it? I've put pics below and video with my phone underneath the wheel when I'm moving the steering wheel.

thanks.
Video of phone under tyre

https://vimeo.com/560166393

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You haven't said if you checked the UJ's inside the car. Not only can they work loose they can dry out and wear out.

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
I’ve just been looking at the photos you put up it does look like the track rod arm rubber boot is damaged and been rubbing. Also both sides of the lower wish bone do look like they will need replacing very soon. The rust build up. Would look into that. I’m not to sure from photos but can you check the lower part of the suspension springs. Bit had to see but try and put some wd40 on them at lower point and check the drain holes are not blocked this can Creek if rusted up. Apart from that cannot see much wrong. If all fails could spray some deep penetrating oil on the moving parts. Bushes and joints. Give a good coating and don’t get it on the brake pads and discs. Try that. Been doing it on mine from time to time and creaking has nearly stopped. Just does it now over dam speed bumps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve just been looking at the photos you put up it does look like the track rod arm rubber boot is damaged and been rubbing. Also both sides of the lower wish bone do look like they will need replacing very soon. The rust build up. Would look into that. I’m not to sure from photos but can you check the lower part of the suspension springs. Bit had to see but try and put some wd40 on them at lower point and check the drain holes are not blocked this can Creek if rusted up. Apart from that cannot see much wrong. If all fails could spray some deep penetrating oil on the moving parts. Bushes and joints. Give a good coating and don’t get it on the brake pads and discs. Try that. Been doing it on mine from time to time and creaking has nearly stopped. Just does it now over dam speed bumps.
I did check the U/j pinch bolts and they were tight and there was plenty of grease on the joint itself so that looks ok.

Okay thank you, are the wishbones easy to replace? It does make an awful noise when going over bumps at over 20mph which is a different scraping sound which I did put down the the wishbones but not had chance to look into it yet.

In this case do you think it will be fine to drive to Glasgow next week? as its still doing it and driving me crazy now.

thank you :)

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
Wish bones only have 2 bolts on hardest part is removing the lower ball joint. Just jack up with wip wheel off remove remove the bushes bolts nuts knock out the bolt. Put a long enough screw driver in we’re the bolt was. Undo the cab side bolt and but. Just so it moves easier. The undo the lower ball joint but an bolt and remove bolt. Then you need a long bar or ball splitter to separate. Will be a bugger to get off they on tight but with the other bushes lose it’s a bit easier. Re placing with new put the bushes side on first and tighten them up before putting the lower ball joint in. Wd40 and brute force will get them off. 10-15 each side if lucky.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks both. I had another look at it yesterday just with me being due to go to Glasgow soon. Tried to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. anyway I discovered the nut and bolt that hold rack didn't look very snug, so i jacked up and tightened the nut using biggest extension bar i had. managed to turn it a fair few times.The bolt however is in a really tight space and you can barely get a socket on there never mind the ratchet, so despite many attempts i had to leave it. Though looking at the bolt it did seem there was about a 5mm gap between the bolt and the frame of the rack, I tried to take a decent picture of this. So it must of been partially loose? I tried getting a spanner on it too but there was just no room at all to manoeuvre it.

Just don't know what to do for the best now. Would it be worth cutting my losses and taking to a garage? just conscious with me driving it long distance next week.. or will it be fine? and on the back of that, is there anyone on this forum/any garages that are recommended in Leeds? thanks

Bolt to nut on steering rack:

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
I think you might have it. But we’re is the 8mm washer? Just checked on mine and has a washer fitted. ?

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
I think you might have it. But we’re is the 8mm washer? Just checked on mine and has a washer fitted. ?
Have a look any were else there is a bushing without a washer between the bolts. Most are dead end so washer makes the gaping right with bush and bolt. Also stops bolt damaging the bushing.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There are nuts on the bottoms of those bolts which can be reached from under the car. If you think the rack is moving use a pry bar to try and leaver the rack away from the sub frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve done the nuts up under the car, and I’ve extra tightened the bolts on the u/j but still doing it. I’m getting really worried now as I’m due to go to Glasgow on Monday and I don’t want to lose steering on the way..

jsut needsome reassurance or something, is there anyone in Leeds at all that anyone knows that could have a look or give us a hand with it at all????

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
I’m not In Leeds. But you could be looking in the wrong areas. Have you checked the heat shields on the discs. It could even be the lower suspension spring locator starts squeaking or thudding. Lower part where spring is make sure the drain vents are clear. Spray some wd40 etc in and around the spring. Leaves and stones can get in there and cause rust to build and the spring does need to move a round. This can cause same sounds. And heat shields can get bent and catch on disc when turning as it all flexes. Should be able to get a finger in between plate and disc. Just check them. I’m sure you will be fine driving there and back to Glasgow. Might even sort it out all that moving around everything sound by way you have been saying to be all tightened up. So should be fine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In Spain it was commented that this noise is a plastic seal of the steering rod, which wears out and is the noise it makes, when going over potholes and thus it is usually noticed more, in theory it goes inside the steering column and to change it there is To take it out of the car, change it and see how many km it takes the new one to wear out again and sound again, let's say that the noise it makes is worn out and if the new one is changed with use it will sound again, it will not cause more than that noise although do not change it but it is an annoying noise, it comes from the left side of the car, according to English cars on the passenger side, if you lend a hand to the steering arm on that side and move the steering wheel you should not hear the sound

1 - 15 of 15 Posts