Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a work in progress will update as time goes on.

I was inspired by another member on here
See post 14
after reading how he overhauled his steering rack and the information he provided I aim to build on that.

here is the guide from the repair manual click here to see if it’s in within your capability.
Repair manual

some points worth noting that were confusing me:

there is only 1 bush inside the rack it’s made from plastic and it’s on passenger side of the steering rack for U.K. cars.
The bush wears and the rack rattles up and down because of the excess play caused by wear inside the bush creating the noise.

This was confusing me as I thought there would be 2 bushings one at each end of steering rack.
And when searching for a repair kit there was only 1 bush per kit so I thought i would need to buy 2 repair kits I don’t you only need 1.

the repair kit from Vauxhall is around £30
You get 1 plastic bush some grease number of circlip and a new oils seal for the pinion.
Repair kit click here
Part number 93190161 if you decide to search eBay or internet for that.
You can order that kit and be done with it and follow the guide in the repair manual it will probably last around 30k miles before the noise comes back.

i have decided to make a proper metal bush designed for this so its long Lasting and put the information up here for others to do the same.

the tie rods that screw onto each end of the steering rack some of them have a white plastic ring it depends on the manufacturer if they include them or not.

This is to prevent metal on metal noise coming from excessive movement inside the rack. Think of it as a band aid it doesn’t fix the cause of the problem but it helps to reduce the unwanted movement and noise as that’s how I understand it.

there is 3 tie rods available for the corsa each with a different part number.

for my 1.0 2001 Corsa it lists it as 93192421 Iv searched and I cannot see these from any manufacturer that come with the plastic buffer ring as seen in the photos. The genuine part from Vauxhall does not come with the plastic ring.

93192420 some of these come with the plastic ring other do not depends on the manufacturer of the tie rod.
The genuine Vauxhall part comes with the plastic ring.

93192418 now this is listed as follows on Vauxhall’s parts database as follows: FOR REDUCED RACK TRAVEL. These are meant to come with the ring. so check photos of part before buying.

you can input the part numbers into this website and see the photos clearly of what you’re getting. Part search those numbers here

the 3 tie rods have same thread sizes and same length 315mm give or take a few mm.

the white rings that were on the old tie rods measured 38mm inside that part of the rack tube is 40mm. So that allows 1mm of deflection before the plastic ring prevents the rack from deflecting abs further and causing more wear to the plastic bush.
FF9301FE-DD90-4041-8C0D-D846B712BF5C.jpeg

A691E39F-960A-4AD5-AA4B-DB9579723A7E.png
The Previous poster used an oilite bush this works best when there’s no lubrication the lubricator is contained within the bush so using the grease as well doesn’t make sense.

We can use Phosphor bronze PB1 but requires lubrication or I think sae 660 leaded bronze the lead acts as lubrication I think this will be better long term and will suit this application better. Iam no expert just trying to figure this out myself.

The dimensions of the bush we are making are 22mm I.D. Exactly X 32mm O.D. X 23mm length approx.

21.97mm is the outside diameter of the rack.
32mm is the inside diameter of the rack tube.
23mm is the length to an internal groove inside the rack tube where we will use an internal circlip. There was no circlip there from befor the plastic bush clipped into place.

when removing the pinion shaft from the steering rack it initially moved then got stuck only when I gripped the pinion shaft in a vice and yanked on the steering rack did it remove itself.
The pinion has a 6203z bearing shielded on top side and unshielded underneath. It’s held in position with a collar that’s been squeezed and shouldn’t be removed.
I mistakenly cut through that collar in order to replace the bearing that’s swedged on behind the bearing and there was a deep groove on the pinion shaft that the collar swells into to secure it on the shaft. So I had to make a collar and put a circlip into the beginning of the Groove in the shaft to hold the bearing in position. The shaft is hardened so not ideal to machine a circlip groove in it.

long story short don’t remove the bearing or the collar behind the bearing too much hassle.

the oil seal needed is 17x40x4.5 can order that anywhere.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Whilst I'm alway up for modifying or improving parts replacing the somewhat compliant standard/uprated bush with a solid metalic one may cause you a different problem. Setting the backlash on the pinion requires that the rack can move in the rack body itself, With the pinion been close to the bush, zero compliance in the bushing may well mean that trying to adjust the lash 'bends' the rack and makes it difficult or impossible to elimate play and operate smoothly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Whilst I'm alway up for modifying or improving parts replacing the somewhat compliant standard/uprated bush with a solid metalic one may cause you a different problem. Setting the backlash on the pinion requires that the rack can move in the rack body itself, With the pinion been close to the bush, zero compliance in the bushing may well mean that trying to adjust the lash 'bends' the rack and makes it difficult or impossible to elimate play and operate smoothly.
I like a challenge and I won’t know until I try. worst case scenario il fit the plastic bush from the repair kit and update thread accordingly .

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
At 15 years + old and over 100.000 miles I think the stock parts fitted from factory will be good enough to use again.
The Corsa C will be forced off the road long before a second set of parts will wear out with E10 fuel being forced on us.

·
Registered
2005 Combo 1.4
31 Posts
My Combo has the same issue, in saying that, I repaired a steering rack some 30 years ago which had the same problem,with parts no longer available. What I found in that rack surely couldn't be different than in these, the bush wears in two spots, the rack cuts into the bushing right where the teeth are, it doesn't happen on the pinion side because the pinion holds it down. the rack slides a fair way out to the left and the constant sliding and pressure exerted by the flat part of the rack shaft, cuts the bush. In the rack I repaired all that time ago, I removed the bush on the LHS, rotated it around 180 degrees so the worn bit was on the round side of the rack shaft and knocked it back in, it was spot on, no movement whatsoever! Seeing as Holden is dead and buried here in Australia, I doubt I can buy the parts, so might have to rotate the bush in this one too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a sensible idea to repair that well done. I think on my rack the teeth stops before it gets to the bush on the passenger side but I will double check to be sure. What do you mean about Holden being dead I thought they were big in Australia?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Combo has the same issue, in saying that, I repaired a steering rack some 30 years ago which had the same problem,with parts no longer available. What I found in that rack surely couldn't be different than in these, the bush wears in two spots, the rack cuts into the bushing right where the teeth are, it doesn't happen on the pinion side because the pinion holds it down. the rack slides a fair way out to the left and the constant sliding and pressure exerted by the flat part of the rack shaft, cuts the bush. In the rack I repaired all that time ago, I removed the bush on the LHS, rotated it around 180 degrees so the worn bit was on the round side of the rack shaft and knocked it back in, it was spot on, no movement whatsoever! Seeing as Holden is dead and buried here in Australia, I doubt I can buy the parts, so might have to rotate the bush in this one too!
also meant to say the bush is a plastic flexible expanding bush sort of like an expanding collet. You can buy the replacement bush repair kit from the dealership.

2nd picture from the left it won’t make any difference turning it round because the teeth don’t reach as far as the bush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts