Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who's helped with my coolant leak, will sort that once I get paid.

So onto the next (and only other) issue my free (or wife's) car has, as per post title, when being driven at speeds above 65+ mph, or when driving over speed bumps/cobbled stone road etc...... the car has a clunking sound coming from the front end. I've checked all the usual stuff like ARB bushes/drop links, shock top mounts and bottom bolts attaching to wheel carrier, I've checked lower control arm bushes, ball joints, track rod ends as well as the tie bars, but I still cant figure out what the problem is??

Personally I think the knocking at speed is down to an imbalanced wheel. I have read elsewhere there's (though cant find it now) something else that's causing the knocking noise potentially. I do have a slight knocking noise on the steering rack between left and right, but that's nothing in comparison to the louder knocking coming from the front end.

The only other thing I can think of would be suspension mounting bolts, but I would have thought that would get picked up at the MOT?

Are any of you able to help me identify this knocking?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

P.S I'll try and get a video of it next time I'm out in the car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not sure if this fits your description, but tightening the steering universal joint in the cabin crops up a lot; Marks152 has mentioned it many times in my 2yrs here.

There's also this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I’ve seen the UJ being mentioned several times, not putting too much effort into this until I’ve gotten my VW Polo through its MOT. I will be checking the attaching bolt for the steering wheel too when I get around to it.

I’m at a bit of a loss, the only other thing I could think of was a loose steering rack, but surely, exercising the track rods and tie bars would have brought this up.

Would broken coil springs make this sort of clunking noise? Really am clutching at straws with this?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Deteriorated top strut mounts was my thought, but I re-read and you checked that off your list. I'm hoping this 'bump' brings the brighter (than me) people in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts