Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

Yesterday, I was driving my Corsa (Z12XEP) and noticed the temperature gauge had dropped to 0 degrees (normally at 89 warm). When I turn off the car, the fan spins at max revs and when I turn it on (warm engine), the temperature usually rises to 89 degrees and either right after or eventually it will drop to 0 degrees or fluctuate somewhere between 80 and 89.

I am aware it is either the thermostat or temperature sensor that is bugging, but since I have little money for repairs, I can currently only buy one of those and therefore need to make a precise diagnosis. The heater breaths out nice hot air into the cabin. I have heard to check the hose connecting to the thermostat housing, and feel whether it is warm or cold while the engine is hot, and if it is cold it would be the thermostat, but I'll need this confirmed.

Without having checked the engine further, I personally believe it is the temperature sensor, as the gauge does go up to it's usual operating temperature, meaning it does read the correct temperature momentary, but then fails to do so, however, I am not qualified to make that guess.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I remembered this coming up last year and, if everything is working fine except the gauge, the connector might be perished (this is a cheap part). Here is the thread that I was thinking of:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The fact that fans are on might indicate the temperature sensor open circuit.
You have money for one part at the moment and I find it very awkward that you want one of the forum users to put the bet.
This is not the way it works.
If you want to know what the problem is 100% then you need:
  • diagnostic device read fault codes
  • start engine, eyes on the Data List PID of the coolant temp
  • with thermal camera or by hand, feel the outlet hose towards the radiator, while watching the PID, hose should be cool until around 92 degrees.
  • multimeter capable of measuring resistance, take a measurement of the sensor while cold and once the problem shows itself.
Then you know!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts