Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, im new here, just bought a 2000 1.2 corsa c with 67.000 km, had oil, filters, coolant and plugs (the old ones were the original bosch, all 4 looked good brown color) replaced, Liquimoly Super HD 10w-40 + MoS2 additive. the car when running cold you can barely hear it, but as soon as it gets hot you hear a ticking sound from the engine top, as i hear closely it seems to be from the throttle body or injectors, i had the throttle body clean but it still sound the same, chain is still the stock, car makes a rough sound (not ticking) when starting to move + clutch pedal vibrates, it kind of sounds like a 3 cylinder engine, engine does not shake while on idle, just when the misfure occurs).
While coasting/compression there is absolutely no vibration nor ticking. There is no errors at all but the car when idle "misfire" for half a second every 5-6 seconds also the throttle body does not detect movement from 6% to 12.40% when pressing the pedal and i think thats why the car sometimes "chockes" when starting to move.
There is absolutely no smoke coming from the exhaust, oil and coolant still the same after 1000 km with some fast highway and long climbs.
Well, this is to much info but i hope you can help in some of this symptoms before i take it to the mech.
Youtube vide i made to help describe what's happening

Thank you :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Three things the rattle can be.

1. Water pump
2. Timing chain
3. Oil pump

Get a plastic handled screwdriver and use it like a doctors stethoscope to listen to the above listed parts with the engine running. You are listening for rough noise in time with the rattle.

(use extreme caution not to catch the pulleys or belts with the screw driver or any loose clothing)

Engine hesitation when revving is totally normal for these engines, as is a loud rattle that dies down when started from cold.

Gear selection sounds good to me.

Hope this helps

Cal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three things the rattle can be.

1. Water pump
2. Timing chain
3. Oil pump

Get a plastic handled screwdriver and use it like a doctors stethoscope to listen to the above listed parts with the engine running. You are listening for rough noise in time with the rattle.

(use extreme caution not to catch the pulleys or belts with the screw driver or any loose clothing)

Engine hesitation when revving is totally normal for these engines, as is a loud rattle that dies down when started from cold.

Gear selection sounds good to me.

Hope this helps

Cal
Thanks for the fast reply, i did try the screwdriver trick above valve cover, throttle body, chain cover and the sound was the same over the injector plugs, all 4 made the same noise.

·
Registered
Corsa, SXI, 2005
5 Posts
Hey there, the ticking would be the timing chain, I had the same issue with mine also 10w40 is too thick. It should be 5w30 semi synthetic definitely double check that as putting in a thicker grade can cause the oil filter collapse. I use Castrol in mine, I say this because mine had 10w40 which wasnt the recommended oil and it was the previous owners attempt to quiet the engine down. Your rattle is properly due to the plastic guides that the chain runs on being worn.

·
Registered
Corsa, SXI, 2005
5 Posts
Hey there, the ticking would be the timing chain, I had the same issue with mine also 10w40 is too thick. It should be 5w30 semi synthetic definitely double check that as putting in a thicker grade can cause the oil filter collapse. I use Castrol in mine, I say this because mine had 10w40 which wasnt the recommended oil and it was the previous owners attempt to quiet the engine down. Your rattle is properly due to the plastic guides that the chain runs on being worn.

·
Registered
440 Posts

My corsa c 1.2 petrol lasted 2 years (probably about 15 k miles) on 10w40 oil and top quality filters. I changed the oil every 6,000 and the car still drove great, the body killed it....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I always use 5w30 fully synthetic and change at 5k intervals to keep the engine running in good oil. My cars just past 170,000 miles on the original 1.0lt engine and is still sounding pretty good. I do have a bit of rattle on the chain when it starts but cant complain. It's still pretty quiet at idle and doesn't sound like a diesel just yet.

·
Registered
Corsa, SXI, 2005
5 Posts
I always use 5w30 fully synthetic and change at 5k intervals to keep the engine running in good oil. My cars just past 170,000 miles on the original 1.0lt engine and is still sounding pretty good. I do have a bit of rattle on the chain when it starts but cant complain. It's still pretty quiet at idle and doesn't sound like a diesel just yet.
[/QUOTE
That's pretty good I had thought about putting fully synthetic in mine but just went with the original. I had to change the chain, guides and everything including bottom end bearings. Had a really bad service history and an army of bodge jobs I've had to put right. But runs nice now wouldnt know it's done 130k miles

·
Registered
Corsa, SXI, 2005
5 Posts
My corsa c 1.2 petrol lasted 2 years (probably about 15 k miles) on 10w40 oil and top quality filters. I changed the oil every 6,000 and the car still drove great, the body killed it....
Mine was a real chamber of horrors tbh when I brought it. Engine sounded awful even with the thicker stuff but the service history had two oil and filter changes with the last owner and when I went to change it the thing was collapsed and gunked up replaced with a Bosch one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts