Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was just wondering what are the symptoms of the timing chain going slack?
I’m currently at 95k on my 1.2, I do get a ticking even on warm engine, but no loss of power, warning lights ect ect, only a more deep noise to my exhaust (if this is even related). Under the rocker cover, I’ve given the chain a quick tug and it is barely loose.

I’ve had the car since 72k, been well maintained by me but not much previous history, all I know is an elderly man owned it before and only used it for short journeys (Friend of family), but no history before him.

Should I be worried about the chain at this milage? And is it classed as a service interval to get it done?

Many thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
It happens to the cdti that they start to start badly in the cold, or that when they turn on as they have no oil pressure, they notice more sound You can hear the noise when it is cold on, you stick a screwdriver in the metalics area of the motor, and with your hand making a conch shell you hit the ear, if it sounds you will hear it, it is also advisable not to walk to change the oil density

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The chains can fail at very low mileage, I recently did one at 36,000 miles. Although the car had been "serviced" every 10,000miles approximately it had still worn and stretched. This was a z14xep engine.
There should be no slack in the chain if you try to lift it at the top where the nylon guide is between the 2 cam shafts.
As they wear they become increasingly noisy, like a rattle sound and very metallic. If they are left the chain can slip teeth and put the timing out causing poor running and rough idle. If they are left even longer it can cause valves to hit the pistons as timing can go so far out.
Other causes of top end "ticking/rattles" can be stuck/sticking valve lifters or cam wear. Photo show worn cams at 36,000 miles. Using a decent engine flush and 10w40 semi synthetic oil can help with the noise. Personally this is what I have used in all my Vauxhalls for the last 25 years without problems, one engine has now done 170,000 miles and still runs quite.
Post a photo of the slack in you chain and of the camshafts please.
These cams are worn out and so is the chain. Book was stamped by a main dealer and noted 5w30 fully synthetic oil had been used on services!
20200624_101049.jpg
20200623_183452.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tha
The chains can fail at very low mileage, I recently did one at 36,000 miles. Although the car had been "serviced" every 10,000miles approximately it had still worn and stretched. This was a z14xep engine.
There should be no slack in the chain if you try to lift it at the top where the nylon guide is between the 2 cam shafts.
As they wear they become increasingly noisy, like a rattle sound and very metallic. If they are left the chain can slip teeth and put the timing out causing poor running and rough idle. If they are left even longer it can cause valves to hit the pistons as timing can go so far out.
Other causes of top end "ticking/rattles" can be stuck/sticking valve lifters or cam wear. Photo show worn cams at 36,000 miles. Using a decent engine flush and 10w40 semi synthetic oil can help with the noise. Personally this is what I have used in all my Vauxhalls for the last 25 years without problems, one engine has now done 170,000 miles and still runs quite.
Post a photo of the slack in you chain and of the camshafts please.
These cams are worn out and so is the chain. Book was stamped by a main dealer and noted 5w30 fully synthetic oil had been used on services!
View attachment 36115 View attachment 36116
Thank you for such a detailed reply. This is an image of the cams (rocker cover gasket caused that oil leak). Regarding the chain, if I do pull it at the top, it’s got the slightest of movement in it, and will move left and right with a good tug.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I can see a lot of carbon build up in the engine, start with a good flush, you may also need to remove the sump and clean it and the oil pick up tube out. New sump gasket and exhaust down pipe gasket required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts