Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y17DT motor with a now suspected timing chain FUBAR.

Exiting M6 slip & it started making a cool as fook supercharger whinning noise :err: followed be an immense mettalic rattling that sounded suspcisouly like the timing chain eating the plastic cover. Came to a stop & the engined stalled out on me.

Not started stripping it down yet as ive only just got back home with the car, the cam appears to be locking when when you try to turn the engine over.

Would i be right in thinking that ive probably smashed a few followers & shattered the chain, possibly nuked a few valves to.

Gutted really, last year was my epic engine blowage year, this year was not hoping to improve on my record of 3.

Any gen guys?

·
Premium Member
28,928 Posts
ouchy - not easy to tell until you get the head off and check the damage, hope it hasnt scored the pistons, can gaurentee you will need a few more vavles :lol:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ouchy - not easy to tell until you get the head off and check the damage, hope it hasnt scored the pistons, can gaurentee you will need a few more vavles :lol:
Oh the joys :( nothing I cant do myself, just being bothered to do it is the main thing :(

·
Registered
817 Posts
You need to get the head off and check the damage. When my chain came off on the Combo I was lucky that it was repairable, it was still expensive to sort but cheaper and less risky than buying a 2nd hand engine who's history you can't be sure of.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im either very lucky, or er very lucky lol

Been mincing on t engine since about 10.30 now. Its non of the above mentioned at all!! Its not even a chain drive engine, friggin belt LOL

Turns out the alternator I fitted in November is the culprit :) the bearings in the alternator have gone, locking it up, thus locking the engine.

Took the alt belt off, rachet & socket on the cam sprocket, engine spins sweet as a nut. Put the alt belt back on, engine wont turn more then about 5mm either direction.

The metallic rattling noise i heard was the bearings pinging around the alternator making swiss chesse outta its insides lol

·
Premium Member
28,928 Posts
Im either very lucky, or er very lucky lol

Been mincing on t engine since about 10.30 now. Its non of the above mentioned at all!! Its not even a chain drive engine, friggin belt LOL

Turns out the alternator I fitted in November is the culprit :) the bearings in the alternator have gone, locking it up, thus locking the engine.

Took the alt belt off, rachet & socket on the cam sprocket, engine spins sweet as a nut. Put the alt belt back on, engine wont turn more then about 5mm either direction.

The metallic rattling noise i heard was the bearings pinging around the alternator making swiss chesse outta its insides lol

lol

yuou lucky sh*t! lol

bet your glad :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol

yuou lucky sh*t! lol

bet your glad :)
Lucky aint the word mate, ive blown engines to peices before, including a 90mph R5 Turbo fireball, i really was expecting the worst TBH.

If, IF, it had been a total loss, i would have chopped the engines over. Got the one thats on eBay at the mo & chucked it in over the weekend.

But yea, glad man, a very easy fix on the whole. Suprised its the alternator going by the noise it made tho!! Im expecting some hefty holes in the alternator casing when i take it off tho.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When I worked for the Royal Mail the 1.7 DI belts would go occasionaly and on the odd occasion all that would happen was the lifters would shatter, we did have a few proper messes though! We had some aternators break as you describe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts