·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I think u would do better if u put up sum price estimates, as there are a few threads with ppl mentioning how much garages have charged for this job, it seems the average garage will charge 300-350 including the chain kit but vaux charge around 700 due to their rediculous hourly labour costs. But u should also put a price up for fitting a tensioner as thats usually the problem with the older 1s. And a new tensioner costs 30 quid from vaux. I think u will get a lot more business if u offer a tensioner fitting service as it will cure the rattle for much less, and there are thousands of corsas with rattly chains due to the crappy old tensioner. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will fit the timing chain plus tensioners for £250

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
y dnt u replace?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
will fit the timing chain plus tensioners for £250
gd price, but why dont u offer to change just the tensioner as that is the part at fault when it comes to the common rattly engine of the 1.0 and 1.2 corsa's. And it will cost u and the customer less which means u will get more business.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pm me for a price on just tensioners

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ttt

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why would you just change the tensioner when you've got the engine stripped out? The rattling chain stretches it and makes the chain cut into the guides. For the extra £60, i'd fit the kit to save problems further down the line.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
u dnt have 2 take the engine out mate.... i would personally do chain and tensioners

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ttt

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Why would you just change the tensioner when you've got the engine stripped out? The rattling chain stretches it and makes the chain cut into the guides. For the extra £60, i'd fit the kit to save problems further down the line.
See its ppl like you who make other ppl go to vaux and pay 750 for a new chain when all they need is a 30 quid tensioner, the chain is supposed to stretch, thats what the tensioner is for, to keep it tight even though it has stretched, my 1.2 had done 65k when me and my dad changed the tensioner and there was nothing wrong with the guides and the chain was stretched the normal amount for the mileage, the new tensioner was only a third of the way out meaning that the chain had 2 thirds of its life left, and thats at 65k, and ur not just saving on the chain, ur saving on fitting aswell. U dont exactly strip the engine to change a tensioner, its less work than a full chain, and its also something that someone with little mechanical ability could change unlike the chain itself.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ttt

·
Registered
785 Posts
i changed my chain cause the side water gasket failed and it started rattling...
did the job all was good for 300miles... then the side gasket went again :s
so got a genuine gasket did the job again... now when it gets hot(unlike the last time)
engine sounds weird like the chain is streching but the engine feels nice and smooth?(doesnt do it from cold to hot on tick over only if you drive it hot)
took it to a local garrage due to the weather and the fact that im busy now. and its been sat there for 3 weeks cause they carnt be arsed to touch it..
i think the sump gasket has gone(could it be low oil pressure?) since it looked abit suspect the second time i did the job. but it could also be the tensioner guide.. since i put factory tention on the swing bolt thing at the bottom( tiny little torques bit inside a plastic thing)(20nm)

anyone fancy cumin up here to fix it as i really not goin to do this anymore on my own :(

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
where u from mate?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
u can cum 2 me and i will sort it for u bud

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status