Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help.

I first noticed that my Corsa was holding back when trying to accelerate a few weeks ago. I then realised that this was happening when the engine got warm but was OK when it was first started. Eventually the Engine Management light came on and I had a garage check it out.

The code was P0016-00 Crank shaft position / cam shaft position not plausible.
As advised we had the plugs, coil pack and Crank sensor replaced.

Problem still occurred, we then had cam sensors replaced and the problem was still there.

We had Vauxhall do a full diagnosis and said that they had come up with 2 issues on cam and crank sensors 1. Replace ECU 2. Timing issue.

I am now struggling to know which way to go next, do I have an ECU fault or timing fault or both???

When driving home after the test the Engine management and traction light came on. Took it back had them cleared and haven't been in it since.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
How much paid so far with the parts changers? 600-700 pounds or so?
Is this a Corsa D or Corsa E?
What do you intend to do with the info from here? Make the parts changers smarter, so they can rob more money from you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply.
It is a Corsa D.
We used a garage that we have used for a long time and trust and let us supply our own parts. The car was due plugs and as a precautionary measure we replaced the coil pack (a friend who works in a car parts retail outlet said the coil pack have a high failure rate). My wife also works in the car parts trade so we bought genuine parts reasonably with her discount.
The Crank and Cam sensor replacement, after discussion, was the cheapest and most sensible option to illiminate before taking the engine apart to see if the chain is faulty?

We then used our local Vauxhall dealership to do a diagnostics in hope that as they have the tools and the experience they would have a better understanding of issues from previous jobs.
Having had the diagnostics done by a Vauxhall dealership technician and the report, we do not know if the problem is chain or in this area or ECU or both.

I intend to make a decision on best way to procede, whether that is to sell the car to someone, at a reduced price, who is prepared to do their own work or try and fix. I asked the question this forum in hope that someone, who has had the same problem can maybe give advice on what is the best way forward or what the fault is.

In short if Vauxhall can't identify the fault how am I supposed to?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good choice for genuine parts. Problem comes at hot. Forget about ecu failure, this is low energy input and that ecu is not sitting on engine like old models did. Fault code is about cam crank correlation, this means ecu gets the signal but not in the right sequence.
Vauxhall dealers don’t have what is needed.
How willing are you to buy an cheap oscilloscope and do what I say?
But not before I find a good known waveform.
Lets say chain stretch when hot. You are then aware timing chain kit needs to be changed. That’s not cheap and who can do a proper job? The vauxhall dealer having no clue to do a proper diag? The garage at the corner with no access to right info?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for taking time to reply.

I wouldn't be confident in doing any scope testing myself having had a quick look at youtube vids when looking at the code related faults, I'm not very good at this sort of thing.
I have had discussions with 2 mechanics I have used previously, they have both suggested a chain jump/stretch as a possibility. One of the mechanics didn't think it would be ECU as the car would be more likely to not start. However it was suggested that the ECU needed replacing on an in depth look at either the Cam sensor or Crank Sensor at Vauxhall? Vauxhall also said it could be a cog issue.

I'm not a mechanic but I can see that it is not a job that anyone could undertake, having read threads where people have had issues with Engine Management lights staying on after chain replacements because parts have not been replaced correctly.

Vauxhalls proposed next course of action was to start opening the engine up but this video I watched-https://youtu.be/BEklqMPkAbQ -explains how to diagnose the fault without this, I was surprised that Vauxhall couldn't do this and this is what I believe you are suggesting to do to get a better idea of what is happening.

After the diagnostics my wife drove the car off the forecourt and the car started to judder, the engine management light AND the traction light came on. She took it straight back, turned the engine off and it wouldn't start after. The garage disconnected the battery, started it and drove it into the w/shop. She thinks it was cleared of faults (but the battery disconnection may have done this?) and she drove it home which is about a mile.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Look, if you don’t go for it yourself, no one here or on any forums can do more.
Let me be clear: you can’t find osciloscope in a vauxhall dealer. Its not on their tool list and they don’t know how to use it.
Without an osciloscope, the mechanic is blind. You just don’t see what the ecu sees.
So tell me, you spent 500 pounds on parts not needed and you don’t want to spend 100 pounds for a cheap oscill and connect 3 wires. In that case, I think you need to shop around a proper garage. Keep in mind: good diag, good money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I highly recommend checking that the timing is correct, then rebuild, get the car hot and get a screwdriver with a non rubber handle.

Use the screwdriver to listen to the timing chain top cover with the engine running, you simply put the blade end onto the plastic cover, then your ear to the other end. Any noise? You'll hear it, honest!

Please when you do this test make sure any loose clothing, hair, ties etc are made tight so you cant get pulled in should anything get caught in the drive belt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts