Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Ive just added some hydraulic lifter fluid to my oil and when I check on the dipstick the level is to about here:

Should I be concerned / need to get it drained? I dont have a jack so can barely get under my car.

Regards,
A

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It would be best if you did drain some oil out yes.
Are you with AA or RAC or similar? They may be able to help you but might also charge?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Search "vacuum oil extractor" on ebay and you'll see cheaper ones around £25. Rust Locker used a (more expensive) Sealey to carry out a full oil change on his Combo but the £25 jobs should be very up to the job of getting you out of your predicament and, I suspect, work well enough for at least a few oil changes in the future should you wish.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Search "vacuum oil extractor" on ebay and you'll see cheaper ones around £25. Rust Locker used a (more expensive) Sealey to carry out a full oil change on his Combo but the £25 jobs should be very up to the job of getting you out of your predicament and, I suspect, work well enough for at least a few oil changes in the future should you wish.
I have a Sealey one of these and it's great for this kind of job. Not really sure it should be used for full oil changes though? I got it for doing lawn mowers which often don't have a drain plug and you have to invert the mower to drain them, ok if the fuel tank is empty. Handy for draining fuel tanks to.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Rust Locker got 3.5 of the ~4 litres out. The thought occurs that the dregs remaining might contain a greater proportion of the bits and crud that would drop out in a gravity drain. Probably not a huge deal with regular, short interval changes but not ideal for a first change on a car with vague history. I can see their appeal for avoiding the ick but, tbh, I'm happier to have JB Motors do it for the minimal cost when I supply the oil.

When I saw the video I did read that apparently Mercedes now use vacuum as a matter of course. As well as lawn mowers, they make a case with 'sealed for life' gearboxes (like the C) when the idea of a 100+k box that's never seen fresh oil feels unnerving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts