Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm not overly impressed with the quality but for the price I paid to have the wheels done I cant complain. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
16s look better on a Combo than 15s, for sure. The only thing (for me) taking away from them is that the plastic's also a bit grey, competing with the wheel for the eye's attention (artyfarty ex-photographer speaking, but you did ask). I used CarPlan Original Black on mine, which is only £3.40 at my cash+carry but is surprisingly effective. Spray on and leave to dry, no buffing. Mine are just starting to return to grey which, after a whole Spanish summer on a 2002 ex-Menorca car, is doing well. Only slightly more expensive than a heat gun and a lot less than new arch trims. HST, I'd be quite keen on that body colour rear bumper for £20 I mentioned a while back (still not sold) to really make the grey wheels catch the eye.

If you just look at the side strips (I was getting rid of the bumper), CarPlan alone took them from this

to this

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not bad! Personally not a fan of the 5-spoke style myself, I prefer the Exclusiv 9-spoke alloys like on mine, but each to their own!

I think this may be a Combo forum at this rate!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
16s look better on a Combo than 15s, for sure. The only thing (for me) taking away from them is that the plastic's also a bit grey, competing with the wheel for the eye's attention (artyfarty ex-photographer speaking, but you did ask). I used CarPlan Original Black on mine, which is only £3.40 at my cash+carry but is surprisingly effective. Spray on and leave to dry, no buffing. Mine are just starting to return to grey which, after a whole Spanish summer on a 2002 ex-Menorca car, is doing well. Only slightly more expensive than a heat gun and a lot less than new arch trims. HST, I'd be quite keen on that body colour rear bumper for £20 I mentioned a while back (still not sold) to really make the grey wheels catch the eye.

If you just look at the side strips (I was getting rid of the bumper), CarPlan alone took them from this

to this
Yea, wheres that bumper?? I agree, once iv changed the doors I'll sort out the faded plastics! Keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Not bad! Personally not a fan of the 5-spoke style myself, I prefer the Exclusiv 9-spoke alloys like on mine, but each to their own!

I think this may be a Combo forum at this rate!
Yes mate, I love those that you have on but these were free and cost me 50quid to get powdercoated

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's in Willenhall, which is not a huge distance from your Tornadoes, I think:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-combo-rear-bumper/143392236546?hash=item2162d7e402:g:MGoAAOSw-2hb20Ga

The seller has been unsuccessfully relisting stuff from a red Combo for several, several months. If my paint-spraying weren't nearly as unedifying as my food-spraying when talking, I would have got it to change to white but it makes much more sense in your hands. Might be worth looking over for other grabs if you head that way (although £15 post for it is also pretty reasonable).

Nice score on your wheels. I got those 7-spokers with rubber for a quid. I felt awful, even worse once it turned out a forum member put the listing up. However, although I offered not to insist/post a neg if he wanted to delete the sale, he very nicely went through with it. I have just this week been applying the Halfords touch up kits (surprisingly good) to a few little scrapes but I am heavily impressed with your £50/4 wheels refurb. If I get some cheap but scuffy 17s one day, I shall ask for more info. Combo sub-forum for the win, I say :yipee:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oh, hang on. Do those GSi use the same Maltese Cross style centre caps as the C-SXi? I have two sets of SXi alloys with centre caps; a shabby set (came with the Tour) that Delta Romeo is fettling for fun, and the set I use with 4Seasons rubber for the cross-Pyrenees treks. I have an OCD about Griffins sullying my Opel, so either one of my cap sets will be de-griffined and blitzed or (my aching wallet) a Portuguese seller's £20+£5postage set of Opel caps could come my way.

Either way, like rlaw, I have no-use-to-me Griffin centre caps lying around; you won't be in need of ebay scouring if they are the same type. But I thought your Crew had SXi alloys on in the Tornado pics?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So.... may have just ordered a ew flywheel, and a stage 2 clutch. Reason being, my clutch is slipping after my remap, partly due to more torque and contamination from a leaking layshaft seal. But is in preparation for a small power upgrade: some slightly bigger injectors and eventually either a hybrid 35 or 39 turbo. Failing that, a diy log manifold and a bigger cheap 2nd hand turbo from an ebay donor

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Righty-oh. I have just given DR the go-ahead to ping the Griffins out of my caps at his place, so they'll be flat, wheel colour and ready for some Blitzes to go on them. I'm travelling back in late October in the Tour with the all-weather Nexens on the SXi alloys. So, I'll whip those caps off when I return and get Mr Postie to take them to you, if that's not too long a wait. Funny thing is (I've admitted this thought to DR) there's a scuffy Opel Astra G that parks around my gaff in Malaga with those Blitz centre caps. If I were badly brought up, the temptation to take a stroll one night, Vx caps in pocket, small screwdriver... Wonder how long it'd be before the owner went 'huh?' on noticing some strange, bird-shaped emblems on his wheels. Nobody noticed Andy Dufresnes wearing the governor's shoes when he escaped from Shawshank. But my mum's disapproval would be too much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Haha that's brilliant!!!!!
I'm in cyprus until november so works for me!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ah, so we're both wondering why people keep saying "couldn't finish the job because of the lousy weather"
That works out well, then

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ah, so we're both wondering why people keep saying "couldn't finish the job because of the lousy weather"
That works out well, then
Yes, didn't realise rain stopped play in the UK! Rain=no work, Snow =no winter tyres = no work, frost =no work lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crackin' lookin' wee van mate,

What springs is it on to get it sitting like that?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Astra G coupe rear springs, corsa c fronts. I will be taking them off in the next 3 weeks or so as iv girls H&R ones coming and adjustable front shocks. Only reason being is I tow a trailer and have a motorbike frame that sits on my timber and fully loaded it sits a wee bit low so adding a little more height to the rear.

So the ones I have on now will be going up for sale

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Again, like the turbo, my rear springs were replaced (stds) as soon as I got it and I'm too cheap to upgrade until I get enough kms worth out first. I would (except for the expense) like adjustables. Reason being that I don't want to arrive in Malaga or NW England with Chalfonts the size of golf balls from consecutive 7hr drives in a laden Tour, but I would like ~30mm lower for just going to the beach and back with a couple of parasols in the rear. Not very often I see some used C fronts, Astra G rear, coilovers (just once in fact)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Mine drives fine with my enduro bike hanging off the back, my two dogs, my daughter and the wife and that with a 60mm drop on the back

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That's interesting. Mine semi-needed a new rear coil before I headed for Malaga so I decided to get a fresh pair. At the time, I'd read of some 'net people finding lowered uncomfortable so I went std but you're the 2nd I've heard from directly with no complaints. Maybe we all have proper Tour or Crew rear benches and the 'net people had those awful afterthought rear benches that are a strip of foam on a plank of ply by comparison. Only good for the apprentices to get to the next job, those.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts