Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so there have been a lot of threads on this, but they're all very vague. So I got myself some wiring diagrams and some spare parts, and set to work!

I'll post this in several replies to this so I don't lose it or anything, so if you see it too soon it might end abruptly!

My corsa is an 03 1.2 club prefacelift, with interior loom revision june 2002. It has the wiring to the indicator switch but not the clutch switch.

Parts required:
Cruise control stalk: p/n 9185414 38.13gbp for a dealer:

Pedal switch: p/n 9149766 I took a brake switch off a corsa in a scrap yard for a fiver, however it required modification to fit. Dealer part is more like 20 quid possibly p/n 90492444 or 90458543 or 90494519 but I can't be sure. Whatever you get, it must have at least one pole which is push to make. And a socket is useful, I chopped that off the scrap car as you can see.

Also a wire with a crimped female connector pin for an ecu socket. I got this by attacking a wiring loom I bought off Chaz (top seller btw!) However it may be worth just finding a scrappy and getting the wire from there. You can see the wire in the above picture.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring required

To get it working, you need a wire from pin 8 of the ECU to live via a push to make clutch switch.

You also need a wire from pin 4 of the indicator stalk to pin 2 of the BCM.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fitting the pin to the ECU plug

OK enough preparation!

First disconnect the negative from your battery. You'll need a 10mm socket or spanner for that.

Next unplug the Body Front wiring harness plug from the ecu, this looks different on facelift cars, they use plastic instead of metal, but I think it already has the wire. Make sure to press in the plastic clip first, else you rip it off which is annoying but not majorly bad.

Next you need to open up the plug. Be careful, as that loom is over 200 pounds plus fitting! Best idea is to close the metal lever again, then use a small screwdriver to push out the pink clip and then pull from the other side:

Now unclip the back cover from the plug, it's held on with about 4 clips and I didn't take a pic. Then cut the zip tie (I felt this step needed a pic.... :) )

Now this is the hard part, you have to unclip the front inner section of the socket and pull it away from the body of the socket. Each wire is clipped into the front part and goes through the back, so you have to make sure there is some slack at the back before you do this.
I did this by shoving a screwdriver in the socket where the pink clip came from, then levering the clips open one by one. Then once it was loose, I gripped it with pliers and wiggled it hard for a while, as if I was pulling a tooth!
Then I had enough clearance to insert the plain end of the wire I had into the back part of the socket in the space for pin 8. You can see this process on this picture:

Then I clipped the pin into the front section of the socket in the space for pin 8, and wiggled the socket back together again.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tying the wire down

Now this was the faffy bit... this wire has to follow the loom all the way into the fusebox and up through the bulkhead, across the dash and down to the drivers footwell. And there's nothing more annoying than a rattling wire.

I had some spare trunking and that black tarry tape, you may have something similar.

Then I just wrapped it around the wire. The most important thing to remember is that the engine jiggles all over the place, every time you start it or accelerate, so you need plenty of slack!

I then opened the fusebox and unclipped the boards, then pulled out the wiring that goes to the radiator fan. I decided the best way to get the wire into the box was to splice the trunkings together and take it in that grommit.

I then ran the wire under the boards, and through that concentinad pipe up to the BCM box.
Taking the BCM box off is not fun... I recommend getting a flexidriver for 9 quid from screwfix. You'll also need a T20 driver, available in all good multi screwdriver sets.
Anyway you should take the lid off there. Next take out the glovebox (two screws inside the door frame, two just below the hinge, then it just pulls out.) Also remove the trim from below the steering wheel with the little cubbyhole in it, it unscrews at the bottom. I didn't remove the air ducting, but it would have helped.
Now you can go back to your wire, and feed it through into the footwell, I taped it to the metal bar behind the dashboard, just don't let it rattle around as it'll get annoying and your passengers will rip it out with their feet too.

Now you're ready to fit the clutch switch!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch switch

First thing to do if you're cheating and using a brake switch is to chop off the locating lug. This is presumably to stop them getting it wrong in the factory/dealer but we (supposedly) know what we're doing! It comes off quite easily with a stanley knife, but watch your fingers etc.

And here is the hole it has to fit into

So strip the black wire of the clutch switch and bodge this onto the black wire of the brake switch. I did this by unplugging the brake switch, shoving the wire into the socket, then jamming it back on. If you do this make sure you don't short anything. It won't damage anything if you do, but you'dd end up with weird behaviour, most likely cruise won't work or your brake lights will get stuck on.
There will be two other wires, in black and yellow. One of these is Push to Break and the other is Push to Make. You need to connect the Push to Make one, pin 4, to the wire you dropped down from the ECU. Tape up the end of the one from pin 2, just in case you need it later due to mistakes.
Then tape any other loose wires up so you don't snag them and they don't make rattling noises. It should look a bit like this, however in this picture I have the pins wired wrongly, I need to swap it to pin 4!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indicator stalk

Finally check that the indicator stalk wiring is there, it was for me so not much to say, I checked the continuity as shown in the pictures, and it was definitely connected :D

So all I need to do now is swap the stalks over.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tech 2

The last thing to do is get ripped off by your dealer, go to Regal, or find someone else with a proper tech 2 system, and get them to change the configuration of your vehicle to have cruise control. This is always a variant which is available, however it's switched off as standard (unlike front fogs, which was enabled in mine as standard!)

All they have to do is turn it on in the BCM and ECU, they need the security code off your car pass, and then I belive they have to go into these to set it to present:
Body Control Module – Body and Accessories > Cruise Control > Module Setup
Engine Control Module – Body and Accessories > Cruise Control > Module Setup

However I'll confirm in due course.

And that's it for now, expect a few edits in the next week or two as I work out the last things, feel free to ask any questions and I'll update in respnonse to which bits are most confusing! Please no PMs, just keep it in the thread.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will this work with a 1.2 sxi prefacelift
Yeah it'll work on any 1.2 between mid 2002 and facelift, I can't guarantee it but you'll see when you look for the wires. I do have a spare brake switch and a 4 pin plug for an indicator stalk, I had the indicator wiring in the end.
what was your overall cost, time taken etc for this?
Cost of materials 32.50 for the stalk, tenner for the wiring harness, fiver for the brake switch, probably a tenner in petrol going to the scrappy, 15 quid for the snips I left at the scrappy :cry: And it took me a couple of hours at the scrappy, and then probably about 4 hours doing the wiring, but I'd recommend leaving a full sunny day to work on the car.
or just get an sri with it already fitted eh John :p :lol:

glad the loom was handy, gave me a small bit of space in the garage:lol:...nice tutorial! :)
:p Yeah thought it was about time I gave something back to the forums, and cruise control is one of those elusive things that no-one ever pins down exactly what's required!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
i soo wna do this mod, i hate being on motorways and having to actually regulate my speed manually when i no i could have cruise control!!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I've just looked at the circuit diagram, and the connections are identical on the 1.0l. On the 1.4 however, it's pin 61 on the ECU that needs to be connected, not pin 8. On the 1.8l it's pin 10 and on the 1.7 diesel it's 59 but it will always be connected anyway.

I would offer to do it for a fee, as I have a few more bits of wire, but it scared me enough doing it to mine in case it didn't start up again! I wouln't trust myself with someone else's wiring! Plus it's such a fiddle it would take all day, but I wouldn't mind helping someone out with an install :)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worst? Don't ask - you could screw your ECU, BCM and Front body loom! :eek: Reckon that'd come to a grand! However very unlikely to screw ECU and BCM, most likely is damage the socket when dismantling. To be honest, if you're not sure what you're doing steer clear. I've been planning this for a good 6 months and I've had things apart twice to familiarise myself with things, so definitely don't rush into it. However of course I'm happy to answer questions if you post them on this thread :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yeah it'll work on any 1.2 between mid 2002 and facelift, I can't guarantee it but you'll see when you look for the wires. I do have a spare brake switch and a 4 pin plug for an indicator stalk, I had the indicator wiring in the end.

Cost of materials 32.50 for the stalk, tenner for the wiring harness, fiver for the brake switch, probably a tenner in petrol going to the scrappy, 15 quid for the snips I left at the scrappy :cry: And it took me a couple of hours at the scrappy, and then probably about 4 hours doing the wiring, but I'd recommend leaving a full sunny day to work on the car.
:p Yeah thought it was about time I gave something back to the forums, and cruise control is one of those elusive things that no-one ever pins down exactly what's required!
Worst? Don't ask - you could screw your ECU, BCM and Front body loom! :eek: Reckon that'd come to a grand! However very unlikely to screw ECU and BCM, most likely is damage the socket when dismantling. To be honest, if you're not sure what you're doing steer clear. I've been planning this for a good 6 months and I've had things apart twice to familiarise myself with things, so definitely don't rush into it. However of course I'm happy to answer questions if you post them on this thread :)
So 6 months, 1 day should just about do it then? :D

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So 6 months, 1 day should just about do it then? :D
Haha yeah it's the same with everything I do.... 6 months planning and then 1 day doing :lol:
I thought the CC stalk was only £29 from vauxhalls?
If you can find a cheap source I'm sure lots of people would be interested! My local vx claim they're 38 pounds whatever and that's non-negotiable list price. There must be a way of getting parts cheaper though :S

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.