Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need some help.
I was replacing the valve cover gasket on my 2004 1.2 twinport and wen I tried to torque down the bolts I sheared two.
Was able to remove from hole and now I've been left with two holes and I'm afraid to torque down any more.

I set my wrench to 7nm, is this correct?

Where can I buy new bolts for the car? They seem to come in wee sheaths and they appear to be stuck in them.

I cannot start the engine now, all other bolts are hand tightened. Picture below circled the holes where two failed.

Could tow to garage and see what they say but worried it'll be pricy and the MOT is due next week haha.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There going to be dealer only parts I suspect. The torque sounds about right but if you've managed to snap two bolts there's got to be something wrong with your torque wrench. 7nm isn't much more than finger tight.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think if someone manages to break 2 bolts with 7Nm, then I would say honestly let a garage do the job. Probably headcover is warped, so another one needed anyway. And if 2 steel bolts snap, probably thread in cyl head is gone, since that is aluminium. Now it needs another head as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You dont really need torque wrench there anyway...the bolts can only go until their head reaches the cover, just tight them diagonally and have some feeling about it and thats it... Its not a cylinder head you are tightening.

About the bolts, just go to a hardware store and find one you can use. Perhaps bolts with hexagonal head (allen key) will be the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if someone manages to break 2 bolts with 7Nm, then I would say honestly let a garage do the job. Probably headcover is warped, so another one needed anyway. And if 2 steel bolts snap, probably thread in cyl head is gone, since that is aluminium. Now it needs another head as well.
I think my torque wrench may be knackered. I set it to 0nm and that sheared the 2nd. Shouldn't have done that. I was wondering why it kept not clicking... probably stupid but I'll definitely be calling my garage to ask for advice now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You dont really need torque wrench there anyway...the bolts can only go until their head reaches the cover, just tight them diagonally and have some feeling about it and thats it... Its not a cylinder head you are tightening.

About the bolts, just go to a hardware store and find one you can use. Perhaps bolts with hexagonal head (allen key) will be the best.
Yeah I was thinking of just buying some new bolts too. The issue is, seems like they are stuck in the cover? Can't seem to remove them. New covers are like £20 on ebay may try that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There going to be dealer only parts I suspect. The torque sounds about right but if you've managed to snap two bolts there's got to be something wrong with your torque wrench. 7nm isn't much more than finger tight.
I think you are right. I even set it to 0nm and it kept tightening!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dealer only part. they have a shoulder on them so you can not twist the cam cover by over tightening.
You could also find them at a breakers second hand.
Where abouts in the country are you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer only part. they have a shoulder on them so you can not twist the cam cover by over tightening.
You could also find them at a breakers second hand.
Where abouts in the country are you?
I see. Yeah I just popped one bolt out the cover and the shoulder came with it haha. I live in Paisley so Glasgow area really. There's a breaker yard I'm sure down by Hawkhead here.

Also, my torque wrench is obviously not working, to be honest its a cheaper one so that's probably why. How tight should I go by hand to do it properly?
Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can get your torque wrench recalibrated but I'm unsure of how expensive it is. When I do these up I simply compress the gasket slightly and then run the engine upto temperature. If it leaks, nip it up slightly more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts