Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Good evening.

My name is Wayne and I've been a 'lurker' on this forum for a little while and only of recently joined up; I own Vauxhall Corsa C 2004 (Design) and after reading the Haynes manual and buying all the correct tools I've managed to:

• Replaced the cylinder head (I was advised that this needed to be replaced after 110,00 miles) with a new one
  • Replaced the front cat converter with a new one (off eBay)
  • Replaced the lamba sensors front and center
  • Fitted a new exhaust (front and center)
  • Replace the old back box with a new Sportex exhaust (which makes a lovely low but strong hum!)
The next stage I want to action is replacing the rear axle with disc brakes; I've watched the youtube channel 'Savage garage' with the mechanic's journey on what he did and now I want attempts this. What I've learnt so far is I need:

• The correct axle
  • Handbrake cable
  • Brake/Clutch fluid pump (to mount to the brake/clutch fluid reservoir)
The key most important component being the axle, I now need the forum's help to point me in the right direction

From crawling through eBay I found the following

Stores and part they sell
ebay.co.uk /usr /n.v.r.c

Part
ebay.co.uk /itm/ VAUXHALL-TIGRA-2-DOOR-2004-2009-1-8-AXLE-REAR-DISCS-ABS/183507102061
VAUXHALL TIGRA 2 DOOR 2004-2009 1.8 AXLE (REAR) DISCS/ABS
FOR YEARS: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 (2006)

NVRC Ref: 1235-27101820493499

and

Store
ebay.co.uk /usr / newgenmotorservicesnms

Part
ebay.co.uk /itm/ VAUXHALL-TIGRA-B-CORSA-C-COMPLETE-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-AXLE-ABS-2001-TO-2006-SHAPE/153702089069
VAUXHALL TIGRA B CORSA C COMPLETE REAR DISC BRAKE AXLE ABS 2001 TO 2006 SHAPE

eBay item ref: 153702089069

I will be incredibly grateful if can consider my post/request to point me in the correct direction, cost isn't a concern so if I need to buy a more expensive but more accurate components I'll be happy to do so; I'm new to the whole car modding seem, its my first car and really enjoying this (keeps my out of trouble!), I'll be happy to post before, post cleaning and after photos if anyone's interested,

Thank you

Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've used the search function and found this has been asked a lot!

corsa-c.co.uk /search/ 447/?q=disc+conversion&t=post&o=relevance

I'll have a read through all of this just in case I can get the answers there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a small update; I've gone through several posts now and contacted a few users, so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm not much help other than to wish you success and would look forward to following your conversion. Truth be told, there aren't many people willing to put the time and money in, given that a car of this age doesn't seem an obvious contender. As you might have seen, current members such as Mr Drew know plenty about up-specing the mechanicals and will be a lot more use to you than my tea and Hobnobs. That said, I am a scourer of ebay - particularly for badly listed items that could be picked up for less than they're worth. A rough location (county/city or large town/region) helps me if you'd like any items flagged.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would be careful following that guy videos. He does nothing, absolutely nothing by the book, he has dangerous practices, to his recognition, he posted his mistakes also.
With regards to which axle you should buy, tbh, any. You would have to replace parts anyway, example brake discs and pads.
I've done this conversion twice, maybe I can post some pictures. Get yourself a torque wrench, you will need it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
While you're here, Liviu - for my curiosity if not the OP's - I sometimes see "disc brake conversion" sets, used, around £100. Are they a viable alternative or is a 1.8 or CDTi rear a much better solution, worth the extra effort?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Would you trust your life on 100 pounds? Is that thing type approved and can they show certification details? I don’t think we need an answer on this.

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,240 Posts
you are best getting the rear axle not the conversion kit

rear axle

handbrake cables

or ask your local vauxhall dealer

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
While you're here, Liviu - for my curiosity if not the OP's - I sometimes see "disc brake conversion" sets, used, around £100. Are they a viable alternative or is a 1.8 or CDTi rear a much better solution, worth the extra effort?
Would you trust your life on 100 pounds? Is that thing type approved and can they show certification details? I don’t think we need an answer on this.
I think by 'conversion kit' ozsubrosa means when people sell the stub axles, bearings, discs, caliper etc without the beam..

From a braking point of view the beams make no difference. From a handling point of view the 1.8 beam is stiffer than the standard fabricated beams used on the lesser models so would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wasn't entirely sure myself what ebay sellers meant by "conversion kit" but the looks of ones I've seen match your description, Mr Drew. Apologies for my lack of clarity, Liviu, but yes - they weren't previously used aftermarket Hiudaikwik items from "UK seller" based in Shenzhen; I would run away further than the stopping distance of anything like that up for sale. Tbh, the ones I have seen look like throwing away the discs themselves would be the first job. I've not looked into how much if at all a Combo Tour's rear axle differs from a C. Rear disced Combos exist but, afaik, 5-stud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts