Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ve noticed for a while now that when I’m in like gear 2 or 3, but going fairly slow for these gears, I get some sort of vibrating or squealing noise coming from my car. It happens when my foot’s on the gas. It’s a 1.2, 2003. Happens when reversing too. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
does it do it on first cold start of the day as well? if so like Mark said suspect the aux drive belt.
Is it worse going up a step hill? If so suspect the clutch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s worse on hill too. For example, if I go over a bump in my 1.2 at 3rd at like 10-15 mph, that’s when it squeaks when my foots on the floor. Like a chirp noise

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ooh, is it that sends-birds-flying-from-trees-everywhere SKREE-EE-EE-EEYEEEK sound (far worse for people out on the street than the driver inside - you must have heard that noise sometime in your life)? That would strike me as the auxillary/serpentine belt that goes around the alternator. It's a bit "Chuck's Hints 'n' Tips for keeping your Dodge Pickup sweet after 200,000 miles" (in fact, I think that's where I've seen it, on YT) but you might get an easy hack-fix by having the engine running in neutral (and the belt therefore running around) and spray some leather/plastic/rubber aerosol on it as it goes. Doesn't have to be fancy-price Aerospace 303 (I do have that for my tyres in storage); just some domestic stuff from the supermarket. It helps to slow down cracking and drying and might give enough lube to stop that pesky screech.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooh, is it that sends-birds-flying-from-trees-everywhere SKREE-EE-EE-EEYEEEK sound (far worse for people out on the street than the driver inside - you must have heard that noise sometime in your life)? That would strike me as the auxillary/serpentine belt that goes around the alternator. It's a bit "Chuck's Hints 'n' Tips for keeping your Dodge Pickup sweet after 200,000 miles" (in fact, I think that's where I've seen it, on YT) but you might get an easy hack-fix by having the engine running in neutral (and the belt therefore running around) and spray some leather/plastic/rubber aerosol on it as it goes. Doesn't have to be fancy-price Aerospace 303 (I do have that for my tyres in storage); just some domestic stuff from the supermarket. It helps to slow down cracking and drying and might give enough lube to stop that pesky screech.
Sweet, I’ll give that a go!

·
Registered
922 Posts
It’s worse on hill too. For example, if I go over a bump in my 1.2 at 3rd at like 10-15 mph, that’s when it squeaks when my foots on the floor. Like a chirp noise
3rd at that speed I'm surprised it doesn't stall! My 1.2 wouldn't pull 3rd on the flat that slow let alone uphill.
As its not doing it all the time and worse under load sounds like your clutch is slipping. If it did it all the time in all gears it could be the drive belt was put on back to front after your new water pump if it was the old belt used as they wear and do squeal when run in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Will the car do it if you apply hand brake and put it in 2and gear and attempt to pull away. When mine was doing this it was the aux belt tensioner. I had a screech and a knock noise. Turned out the tensioner had snapped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s wayyy worse uphill, and doesn’t do it when in 2nd with handbreak on. If it’s the clutch that’s slipping, what’s the best way around of this?

·
Registered
922 Posts
So what does happen when you try to drive off in 2nd with handbrake on?
If clutch is slipping it needs replacing. 2-3 hour job if you don't have AC bit longer if you do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll give the belt a spray tomorrow, and give it a quick look for some slack and some cracks or anything

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll give the belt a spray tomorrow, and give it a quick look for some slack and some cracks or anything
Used some spray, noise is totally gone! Does this mean that I need a new belt or tensioner or something? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Glad that the hackfix has bought you some relief - if only from that Wimbledon look pedestrians give you as you pass by screeching away. The grooves might well be cracked and nasty, calling for replacement. My personal experience is that Gates belts are good for many years/miles but I'm sure Dayco are also equivalent and probably Bosch and Continental are fine too. They're all in that £15-20 range and, considering the faff, I wouldn't save a fiver for an unknown brand. I found, on ebay, that "auxillary belt" wasn't as useful a search term as "alternator belt" for some reason.

I actually found that "Cheapskate Chuck" video I mentioned

fwiw, you could give the new one a spray or soak before fitting. Won't hurt, and might keep the creaking and cracking away for a few more years. I do a bit of precision spraying in situ while idling the Modus in Malaga, where the summer is fierce.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Nearly forgot (sorry if this is obv) but make sure you get the appropriate belt for with or w/out AC accordingly for your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts