Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya'll,
new to the forum so I apologise if this is posted in the incorrect place,

Now onto the question, My Corsa C 1.4 16v Auto... Seems to produce a vibration upon reaching 3k rpm, this is persistent if kept in this range (like on the motorway)
However above and also below 3k this vibration is no longer present, I have recently had the RH side drive shaft replaced.. To my knowledge this vibration was not there before this, What could this be? Perhaps the new driveshaft is made out a different material and causing imbalance with the OEM on the left?

I do have a (repair asap) on the mot for the drop links, but should imagine this is not the cause (though it does cause knocks and bangs over rough terrain) seeing to that soon, also the shock mounts may be a bit worse for wear (also seeing to these soon)

Bit of further of info that may or may not be related, though this could just be Corsa's in general. Is the ride can feel a bit floaty at times, and also springs can sound like a damn shopping trolley. (71k miles on the clock)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Is the vibration through the steering wheel, or more generally throughout the car? If it's the former, your wheel alignment could be a bit out (maybe following your drive shaft work). I noticed this in my Modus when I took it for a test drive (around 110kmh in 5th). It was a 2nd-hand garage selling it and I pointed out "poco vibraccion" in my terrible Spanish to the owner and it was duly made to disappear by them before I completed the purchase.

I have a Combo, not the C, and although it's not razor-sharp handling, I've only had one instance of floaty driving and that was pushing it pretty vigorously on undulating country roads on slightly oversize (195/55/16) tyres. Otherwise, I'd say it's pretty stable and, although creaking noises can be had, not from the springs IME. You might have something needing checking in that area.

Welcome to CCUK, btw.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Is there any vibration when braking?
It is not a "Corsa thing" generally they are a good chassis. Having had 8 Corsa C's and a Tigra B the only times I have noticed vibration was an out of balanced wheel and a failed wheel bearing.
As to the floaty feeling it is quite likely the shocks need replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the vibration through the steering wheel, or more generally throughout the car? If it's the former, your wheel alignment could be a bit out (maybe following your drive shaft work). I noticed this in my Modus when I took it for a test drive (around 110kmh in 5th). It was a 2nd-hand garage selling it and I pointed out "poco vibraccion" in my terrible Spanish to the owner and it was duly made to disappear by them before I completed the purchase.

I have a Combo, not the C, and although it's not razor-sharp handling, I've only had one instance of floaty driving and that was pushing it pretty vigorously on undulating country roads on slightly oversize (195/55/16) tyres. Otherwise, I'd say it's pretty stable and, although creaking noises can be had, not from the springs IME. You might have something needing checking in that area.

Welcome to CCUK, btw.
Generally the vibration is throughout the whole car, it seems to be at somewhat hard acceleration, upon smooth acceleration it doesn't seem to be there or is far less noticeable.

I was thinking my wheel alignment also but was unsure, as I am not fully mechanically minded. I shall get that done ASAP, in terms of the checking in further in the floatyness I shall have my mechanic look when doing the drop links :)

Thank you for your input :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any vibration when braking?
It is not a "Corsa thing" generally they are a good chassis. Having had 8 Corsa C's and a Tigra B the only times I have noticed vibration was an out of balanced wheel and a failed wheel bearing.
As to the floaty feeling it is quite likely the shocks need replacing.
Not upon braking no, although the brakes can sound like a squeaking mouse at times. I am leaning more toward the wheel balancing/ wheel alignment going by the reply from ozsubrosa.

Having the droplinks done soon, shall get my mechanic to investigate further.. just wanted to come here first to see if it was perhaps "corsa related handling"

I appreciate your help and input. Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If it's more noticeable under hard acceleration and overall rather than the steering wheel, it could be that your suspension suspicions are correct but a periodic wheel alignment check is always worthwhile. It could also be worn engine mounts but I don't want to throw in lots of "could be this" statements without finding out what the eyes on the ground think first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seems to produce a vibration upon reaching 3k rpm, this is persistent if kept in this range (like on the motorway)
However above and also below 3k this vibration is no longer present,
I'm just focusing on that "if i keep it in this range".

A badly seated brake pad may bounce in it's caliper when the car is neither accelerating nor braking(hence why I'm focusing on that "like on the motorway" statement, because that's when it's most noticeable with max wheel rpm and steady speed). While driving you might feel/hear it as if it was the WHOLE car or perhaps just below the rear seats. But if you pay attention or (for whatever reason I'm unaware of) your copilot will be able to pinpoint the source easier(if you move your head to the right seat-IDK if it happens on RHD cars too), the front.

Can you relate your issue to this descrption?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's more noticeable under hard acceleration and overall rather than the steering wheel, it could be that your suspension suspicions are correct but a periodic wheel alignment check is always worthwhile. It could also be worn engine mounts but I don't want to throw in lots of "could be this" statements without finding out what the eyes on the ground think first.
Will get it in for a wheel alignment asap in that case! :) Thanks, hate to think it's an engine mount... I know the parts cheap just not to sure on the labour LOL Thank you :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just focusing on that "if i keep it in this range".

A badly seated brake pad may bounce in it's caliper when the car is neither accelerating nor braking(hence why I'm focusing on that "like on the motorway" statement, because that's when it's most noticeable with max wheel rpm and steady speed). While driving you might feel/hear it as if it was the WHOLE car or perhaps just below the rear seats. But if you pay attention or (for whatever reason I'm unaware of) your copilot will be able to pinpoint the source easier(if you move your head to the right seat-IDK if it happens on RHD cars too), the front.

Can you relate your issue to this descrption?
I thought this to, though there is many variables mentioned above. I think I shall get a wheel alignment and balancing done (need new tyres anyways) and go from there, Just hoping a simple fix. At least almost everything suggested so far, is relatively simple for a idiot (haha) like me to pin point and rectify

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello ya'll,
new to the forum so I apologise if this is posted in the incorrect place,

Now onto the question, My Corsa C 1.4 16v Auto... Seems to produce a vibration upon reaching 3k rpm, this is persistent if kept in this range (like on the motorway)
However above and also below 3k this vibration is no longer present, I have recently had the RH side drive shaft replaced.. To my knowledge this vibration was not there before this, What could this be? Perhaps the new driveshaft is made out a different material and causing imbalance with the OEM on the left?

I do have a (repair asap) on the mot for the drop links, but should imagine this is not the cause (though it does cause knocks and bangs over rough terrain) seeing to that soon, also the shock mounts may be a bit worse for wear (also seeing to these soon)

Bit of further of info that may or may not be related, though this could just be Corsa's in general. Is the ride can feel a bit floaty at times, and also springs can sound like a damn shopping trolley. (71k miles on the clock)
I would check to see if centre nut on driveshaft is tight and has a cotter pin through it, Also Corsa cs have harder suspension especially on SXI models, Mick Notts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would check to see if centre nut on driveshaft is tight and has a cotter pin through it, Also Corsa cs have harder suspension especially on SXI models, Mick Notts
Apologies for the late reply, haven't been on in a while. Thank you for your recommendation :) I shall check

1 - 12 of 12 Posts