Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here, but have to say its been a great site for getting information from and has really helped with induction kit install and other bits and bobs i'm going to be working on (lowering, cosmetic, camber etc)

Anyways, i installed a Induction kit, and it has made a difference to the performance of the car. As with everything in life, you always want more, so my mate told me about "superchargers", now I'm not completely dumb to what its meant to do (compress air and push it through to give boost) I've looked on Google and eBay, and theirs kits from £7 to £200, and as with everything i buy, i check for reviews, and everything has said they don't work or they are gash.

Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-500...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abbd2fea7

Now i'm not going to waste £100 on a fan that basically blows air and doesn't compress as there would be no boost. So i looked at centrifugal supercharger as this would indeed compress the air that's needed, but the cost is too high (especially for a 1.2 sri)

But i came across this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1112...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

It looks different from the "gash ones" and looks more towards lthe high end ones that are too expensive (see below)...

My question is, are all the "super charger kits" the exact same, or is there a chance that the vortex one might actually do what it says on the tin?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
All the 'electric' supercharger stuff you'll find is utter rubbish. If you want real supercharging you'll have to pay real money for it I'm afraid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.2 SRi??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**sxi, my bad

So it'll just do nothing like the other ones? Thanks for clearing that up, cheers

So what can i do to gain some boost?

I've done the induction kit, been told to get a straight through exhaust, and maybe remap the ECU, but its a 1.2 so i don't see what gain i'd get from a remap? (my understanding is a remap is more suited to more powerful engines, could be wrong)

Is that the 3 things i can do or is there more?

·
Premium Member
46,991 Posts
To gain some boost? :lol: it's N/A you won't be getting any boost without a conversion, especially not these crappy "superchargers"

Sad truth is you can throw literally thousands at your 1.2 (Like Chino did) and see seriously minimal gains, pointless buddy.

if you're going to race around like all young teens do, i suggest getting a decent suspension set up so it will at least corner less like a big fat boat, best thing i did to mine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i seen a post that theres a 4K conversion kit, but i'd be quicker a diff car. Stuck with this car for at least a year till my insurance comes down, so just want to do some stuff to it to jazz it up abit

I was wanting to lower it, seen an adjustable suspension set. Any recommends on the amount to lower for better handling?

Thanks for all the input guys, i thought they was gash but i just wanted to double check because that one looked slightly diff

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you want to improve the performance the best thing you could do is lighten the car, remove everything that doesn't need to be in it, spare wheel, jack, rear seats, seat belts, sound proofing pads, exhaust heat shields. Once you've shed the weight you'll be able to feel the difference and the bonus is not only will it accelerate faster it will slow down faster and change direction faster too.
You dont want to be lowering more than 15-20mm if you're trying to improve the handling IMHO as it starts to seriously mess with the suspension geometry. Also you'd get better results with a good set of springs and quality dampers rather than a cheap set of height adjustable ones.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My mum works in Whyvales garden center. I can gets leaf blowerz @ like 30% off. Gunna order 5 now, anyone else want some?

·
Registered
807 Posts
There is nothing stopping you doing it properly - get a compressor and tank, run that on a pressure limiter to 5lb/sq inch and then seal to an intake. That provides proper pressurised air electrically. And there is the key - your compressing air not blowing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you havent already check out Mighty Car Mods on Youtube.

2 of the maddest aussies around XD

They did a special on the whole Electric supercharging FAD that will hopefully help you realise how stupid they really are.

Now comes the harsh truth part:

Boosting a 1.2L while funny and can be quick (See the charade GTI, which has a turbocharged 1L 3cyl, however this car weights sweet f*&$ all)

The corsa (or barina here in Aus) may be too heavy to see any decent gains from turbocharging/supercharging a 1.2

My advise is either swap for the 1.8 or convert your car to the 1.8 and then go from there.

As @Mr drew said, You gotta pay big money

A little information for you though.

Cars have 3 characteristics:

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Unfortunately with a car you can only pick 2 of these. EG. A car can be fast and cheap, but its not going to be reliable, alternatively it can be cheap and reliable, but its not going to be fast. etc etc.

for supercharging the car there are a few routs to go, im not sure how much room the 1.2 has but the 1.8 has none and theres a guy who has managed to strap an Eaton m45 of a mini cooper s onto his.

My AC died so my plans are to remove the compressor and put in an SC12 supercharger off a corolla (Or an sc14 depending on how far I want to go)

If you want to go with a "Procharger, Rotax charger etc." *They all have different names these days but they are all a centrifigal charger* Look for kits that are pre made for cars like the honda civic etc. as you may be able to adapt them to your needs and it could work out slightly cheaper than buying the unit by itself. Keep in mind though this particular style of charger has a very small window in which it actually makes decent boost. Just like a turbo makes its boost at higher RPMs and a supercharger makes boost from very low down.

Also if you do decide to boost your car which ever way you choose, keep in mind the other factors that need to change. Fuel, ECU, possible engine internals depending on how crazy you want to go. same with drivetrain etc. in the quest for more speed and much choo choo this can and usually will break. So its always wise to set a goal, and a budget.

My ultimate advise is to do your research and once youve done your research, keep researching until you know and are sure.

Do it once, Do it right and you wont have any problems :)

Hope that helps.

PM me if you need advice, worked in an auto parts store for 7.5 years and have been pulling apart cars since i can remember ;)

Also been researching for nearly a year into boosting my sri and finally have all the information I need so I will be buying items soon..... soon :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
My question is, are all the "super charger kits" the exact same, or is there a chance that the vortex one might actually do what it says on the tin?
Also to answer this question there are 3 types of Superchargers.

Roots, Centrifigal (I cant spell) and Screw.

they vary in shape and size, the screw and roots type make boost in a similar fashion and down low all the way to redline (Which is excellent) however a centrifigal type as i stated before has a small window where it actually makes decent boost, it then tapers off quickly. the reason people like to use it is its small, relatively simple to fit (Relatively) and can make stupid amount of boost for its size. :p (50psi in something no bigger than a T4 garrett turbo)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
No point supercharging a 1.2
The amount of money you would need to throw at it will render it pointless.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A point to remember is electric fans which is all they are need to be powered, this power comes from the engine power driving the alternator, you cannot physically
get more out than you put in, never seen over efeciency yet it's the holy grail energy wise.
Try some ngk iridium plugs, made a BIG difference on mondeo, frontera, astra, corsa and cossie, can't "see" anything on rolling road print outs but feel it on every car
msp

·
Registered
109 Posts
No point supercharging a 1.2
The amount of money you would need to throw at it will render it pointless.
Nissan twin charged a 1L (supercharger and turbocharger) in the nissan march. Made 81kw at the fly and had a 7.7sec 0-100km sprint which are real performance numbers. Wouldnt say boosting a 1.2L is completly useless ;)

Your right though it would be money.

@gaf3r if you are serious about supercharging your car it might be worth looking into the AMR500 which is the same charger that they used on the nissan march. On your 1.2l displacement it would make roughly 5-6psi which is enough for a mild setup without opening the engine up to lower compression etc.

the bonus with a roots type supercharger too is you dont need to worry about oil lines and fuel lines. Heck you can even run it with the factory exhaust if you wanted to :p

plan ahead and research is what it comes down to

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.