Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing the astra and the supposed blanket, this comes

Personally, Opel died since it was PSA, but I think that in the long term the brand could fight again with BMW as it did with the Manta and Senator in the 90s, because I already know of someone who with a Senator had to shut his mouth to a D VxR

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and tomorrow you will look at a saxophone and say WUALA how handsome the new skyline

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It reminds me very much of the 1990s Vauxhall Calibra

It was a coupe version of the Cavalier. I assume Opel had something like this for mainland European markets back then?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's just another concept car that will never make it to production. Vauxhall have been releasing images of the "new Calibra" for years now with no car to show for it. Their new owners will never build anything sketched by Vauxhalls team anyway just cheap rebadged euro boxes with little style.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Their new owners will never build anything sketched by Vauxhalls team anyway just cheap rebadged euro boxes with little style.
Rebadged cars aren't a problem. That happened for ages(Volvo-Peugeot-Renault V6 engine that ended up in DeLorean's Inox car or FIAT-SEAT, or Peugeot-Citroen or SIMCA 1307/1308-Chrysler 150 that you'd always call it Talbot Alpine in UK ). The main issue nowadays is when they try to sell it as a game-breaking new piece of state of the art car only after the name, not the car: The new Supra would be a great "shared enterprise" if it was simply named Celica. Just like honda's Type S line, they write "Type", they remove the R, and charge you the money for the S... :ROFLMAO:

Our cars have an ISUZU engine in it...sort of...no complains about it, everybody is happy but thats a japanese source.

Rebadged engines/cars that are succesfull just look at nowadays Skodas(VW diesels) or Dacias(renault's engines). Not a single of those cars are sold due to "naming it X means it performs better".

And honestly back in the day when those cars used to share components it made your life easier when looking for spare parts. Galloper, hyundai, etc. were outsourced japanese cars back in the day...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ISUZU in quotes, because in the 90s the brand was the main manufacturer of diesel engines in Japan, and Opel bought part of the plant so that they would exclusively manufacture bte engines for them, that the designs for no one else would not come out, that's why they are isuzu, but they are exclusive to opel, but it is that they manufacture an engine and if opel gives 200 euros and seat they also give it to both

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Sharing platforms or engines has been going on for a long time, makes commercial sense and can still produce cars with an individual identity if done well and with reference to the branding/target market/heritage of each company's car. It is less interesting, even slightly sad, when makers in the same segment essentially put a different badge on the product of the dominant partner. This happened with Rover-badged Hondas and looks likely to happen with Vauxhall/Opel needlessly producing another Peugeot/Citroen variant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ISUZU in quotes, because in the 90s the brand was the main manufacturer of diesel engines in Japan, and Opel bought part of the plant so that they would exclusively manufacture bte engines for them, that the designs for no one else would not come out, that's why they are isuzu, but they are exclusive to opel, but it is that they manufacture an engine and if opel gives 200 euros and seat they also give it to both

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know the sharing of platforms has been going on for years. In the past though it was more than the badges that got swapped like they do today.
Now it is more about if you are a badge snob when choosing a new car as so many companies share the same car with just badges and minor trim changes. Vauxhall has not made a car it's self since PSA took over, all the new models are rebadged cars from the PSA bin. Same goes for a lot of Toyota's, Renaults, Nissans, Citroens Peugeots, all the same apart from badges.
All comes down to keeping the costs as low as possible to maximize profit. Quality and after sale care is no longer an option with Vauxhall badged new cars with many part for cars built before 2015 now no longer serviced and the parts that are have gone up 4 x or more in price.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yep, the "Type 4" platform produced the Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema, Alfa 164 and Saab 9000 - all pretty different cars that don't seem obviously related. Can't say the same about the Citroen C1, 107 and Aygo.

For a 2006 C, I wouldn't be too concerned about Vx dealerships, but if I had a 2017 E and wanted to keep that MDFSH going, it'd be a bit irritating.

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,365 Posts
reminds me of the Calibra

1 - 14 of 14 Posts