Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
61 - 80 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Yes, manifolds always look like they've been lying between the Titanic and the Bismarck so I don't know how any come out easy. I'll have to bring you back a bottle of cava if they twist off. Unfun fact, but I used to work for a place I can't name back in the 80s and WD40 performed terribly. I bought Castrol DWF back then although WD40 is sold everywhere. I have no idea if the formulation's changed much since, but it's a prejudice I can't shake off.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I agree, Wd40 is rubbish but it's the only thing I had to hand. I'll see if they feel like they are going to move. If not I'll use a nut splitter on the or just snap and drill them out. It's pretty accessible so there's no worries about the space.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Well, you're around my UK end of town. If it's a no-drill job I feel I ought to bring you back something to celebrate. Have to agree on the access, though. Such a nice thing to stick my head under (reminds me of Renault 5s etc when even I would have a try to fix the obvious) compared to the cramped finger scrapers that came along only a couple of years later. I can barely check brake fluid or look at the battery leads on my other cars without removing enough plastic to keep Cher's surgeon in raw materials for decades.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Ive fitted the exhaust today. 2 nuts came off and the heavily corroded one which had not alot of the nut left I just ground off with a grinder and drilled it out to put a m8 nut/bolt through it. The back box didn't put up much a fight and once I'd opened it up a bit it twisted off. I had the whole system off and refitted in 1 hour 15 minutes.

I then spent 4 hours trying to find my rattle and it's defeated me. I've had all the engine mounts off, replaced top shock mount on drivers side, I've even had my mate drive around his works car park with bonnet open and me clung on sat on the engine trying to locate it. I could hear it but was unable to pinpoint it. I hate being defeated so ill probably go back over it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
That's very quick turnaround on the exhaust. I have visions of your stethoscope wrapping around some pulley and bisecting your brain in a pincer movement - don't forget to read your HSAW booklet :grin:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I had a listen (hard to make out in the cabin audio). I get why you checked mounts but also (on headphones) I thought I heard a plastic creaking/flexing sound (?) Nothing around the front end or wheel arches amiss? I put a comment on the 1st video - hopefully to encourage others to chip in better suggestions, not because I have expert ear'oles.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Just got back from servicing the a20dt insignia. It was a 2011 with 50k full vx service history. All I can say is I wanted to punch the idiot that tightened the sump plug as it was overtightened massively. I had a 1 meter breaker bar on the sump plug and had to use the passenger wheel to get extra force on it. The plug was that mangled by the time I got it off I had to go and get another. Took me about a hour and half to do the oil and filter change.

I explained to the owner that the car needed to go on diagnostics to see why the service vehicle soon message was coming up but he had it done already and there wasn't any codes. I explained it will require a full gm compatible diagnostic and not generic. He agreed to have it scanned again by me. I scanned the ecu and it had 4 fault codes for all glow plugs. The car span over for 20 seconds plus after oil and filter was done which isn't right.

Unfortunately opcom didn't have output tests for this engine so I pulled my delphi out and performed output test on the glow plugs. Multimeter showed 2v when activated. I had my handheld scope with me so checked it and it's a pulse width modulated signal. This lead me to the plugs. 2 were open circuit and 2 were 20ohm+. I fitted 4 new bosch plugs which were all 2 ohm. It started instantly and no sign of the message. I even fooled the ecu into thinking outside temp was -20 and it still fired perfectly. The glow plugs all came out with no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I had a petrol Insignia last year in Carcassonne. Apart from dropping to dipped beam in pitch-dark almost always caused the left indicator to make every poor Frenchman coming the other way think I was going to turn into his path, I liked the car. Why do Vx/Opel find wheel stalks made from used toothpicks? I can (just) excuse it in a 2002, but this was a 2015 mildly expensive car.

Before I got the Combo, I thought changing glow plugs would be a semi-regular thing, like spark plugs, but I read a lot of threads with people giving up as if they'd welded themselves in. I don't understand why that's not been invented out of the system.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I always tighten them first before loosening. It's a gamble but there are well protected at the back of the motor on the insignia.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sigh. Driven the Combo Tour for the 1st tine in a coupla weeks (weather not worth the beach trip and Modus better for town pootling). The good news; that solar panel in the front windscreen + hooked to the battery certainly doesn't hurt. 2 weeks is nothing, of course, but it started on the turn - I didn't think to wait a few secs, having been driving a petrol recently, but it's still 20C+ here so kind of expected.

The bad news is the mechanic who did my leccy window repair is more of a doofus than I thought (see above). Driving along with my son's CD in, "hey, I like this toon" so I turned it up. Mrs Oz was getting deafened while I got nothing. The eedjit didn't reconnect neither the tweeter nor the door speaker. Tsk, it's actually quicker to remove the card and do it myself than drive to Marbella. But, to add insult, I went through the supermercado barrier and the 1-touch up made the window slide back down again. I raised it with that zzzt, zzzt, zzzzt thing - which is where I was before I handed €90 over for a job not-well done. I shall reconnect the speakers and I pretty much guarantee that, instead of seeing a replaced s/h window mechanism (£10 in UK, €30 even without motor in Andalucia), I will see the same old arm has had a bit of hammer-and-bodge treatment.

I'm in the all-too-familiar position of where my verbal-Spanish arguing is really not up to standard. I'm driving back in a fortnight (window is useable) and, most likely, I shall buy a £10 replacement and have it done properly. Put it down to experience, but I can let the Spanish garage know by text, fwiw. I don't really want to get into "fixing the fix" because, as I say, they'll go out and buy some pricey s/h bit locally and charge me - only for it to pack in somewhere in France knowing my luck. At least I can get a Fleabay piece and return it if it looks dud once I'm back.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Apols to the mechanic time. At least, he had rewired the speakers. The tweeter appears to have gone dud (capacitor?) and the door speaker needed a re-balance on the head unit to compensate. I haven't taken the card off to check the window mechanism yet. I have a feeling inertia will take over and I'll settle for stabbing the up-button instead of one-touch. For now, anyway.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I had a 04 micra 1.2 K12 that needed a service and new brakes pads and discs.

It was last serviced my Nissan and they must have used a 1mt breaker bar to tighten the oil filter. It snapped my strap wrench in half, my 3 finger one didn't close down to 60mm so that was useless. I ended up using a pipe wrench on it but it was painfully slow and the filter was squashed to hell by the time I got it off. I've seen nothing like it before. Thanks Nissan!

The plugs were under the inlet manifold so you have to take the inlet manifold off to swap the plugs lol. It wasn't too bad to be honest and took about 30 minutes to remove the inlet, swap the plugs and rebuild it again. Cleaned the throttle body while it was off too.

The car has had pads 1000 mile ago and the garage fitted new pads to these discs. Look how worn they are. I explained that for them to be 100% right it's going to need new pads even though they were like new. The car was going direct for its mot as it had no mot so I wasn't prepared to try save £15 by using the old pads. It's bad practice and something I'm not prepared to put my name to. I gave her the old pads back and showed her why they were replaced and explained the reason. She was just happy it was safe as even she could see how worn the discs were and how uneven the surface on the pads were.

It's going for mot tomorrow. Its a cracking little car with only 60k on it. I'm sure it will pass.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Nice work but, and do correct me if I've unfairly misunderstood, what kind of MD service was that last one? Apart from Gorilla glue on the oil filter, those discs looked shocking. I don't see how anyone would've expected pads to last on those and that air filter strained someone's soup. I know (and my garage does) I'm a bit "If it looks like the shelf-life's short - replace it now, not worth ekeing a few thou more and bringing it back in two months" type, and I understand customers don't like mechs sucking air through their teeth but I really would expect those things to be flagged up. I agree with new discs = new pads, btw, just as good practice. I had a broken coil so they both got replaced. Maybe OCD, but I hate reading through the Cazana and seeing "2014, nsf this replaced; 2015, osf this replaced; 2016 nsf that replaced, 2017 osf that replaced etc" It makes me feel that a car's been held together by elastic bands its whole life. Might be the Spain influence; hotch-potch tyre replacement is a legit fail so I have a habit of replacing things in pairs.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not sure what level of servicing has been carried out. All I know is its got full main dealer history all carried out by the owner. She's had the car from new(well her and her mum) . That air filter doesn't look like its ever been changed. The oil didn't look like 4000 mile oil. It was black as hell. It was serviced 4k(14 month) ago.

I agree about replacing springs in pairs. I always advise this to be done. Half the time my advice is ignored and its usually these people who complain as their car isn't sitting level etc. I always make sure I write on the receipt that my advice was to replace both - no come back then.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Funny that, I always reheel my shoes one at a time if there's a bit left in the other one and it might be how I get my funny walk. Like I say, it (virtually, I'm mostly window-shopping) puts me off a little bit in the MOT history. One tyre at a time, one suspension piece at a time, suggests "If it's not absolutely :censor:, don't fix it" mentality. In this case, though, it doesn't look like the owner. I wouldn't be surprised if boxes have been ticked.

Let's just say I spent over 3 hrs in a Ford place listening to a vile receptionist slagging off every custard she put the 'phone down on. A mech poked his head through and asked her, "If the BFC comes up ok, do we replace it anyway?"
She shouted that "NOooo!" voice reserved for disaster movies. My Focus had a mandatory, £40 brake fluid replacement as part of its service; probably my car. When I finally got my keys, she said, "This is just a customer satisfaction survey", ticked all the "very satisfied" boxes herself and put it in the drawer. Being English, I just drove off and never went back.

EDIT: That partic Micra seems to take cruel + unnecessary in its stride, though. I did consider them while hunting in Andalucia, where service history is rocking horse poop. Just too ladylike, though, says someone who ended up with a Modus :straight:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
An XK8 owning chum here had been having trouble starting (he does leave the big lump unrun for stretches and it's been quite stormy in the last few days). His battery in the boot is 95Ah but I hooked my Combo Tour's and his started so I slid into his passenger seat and plugged my cheapy generic OBD in and we went for a 30 min highway drive. Hovering around 13.9 and 14.1V throughout. Back in the communal parking, I connected up my solar trickle charger to help keep things topping up and figured we'd look again tomorrow but the reading was dropping almost by the second once the engine stopped. After 2 mins or less, there wasn't enough to start the engine. I jumped him again and followed him to the tyre/exhaust/battery place nearby. He elected to pay them the small fee to carry out the replacement. Strangely, the car started on its own battery although we'd had coffee for over an hour during their lunch break.

Weirdly, the engine turned itself over unprompted as the new one was fitted (an external was providing enough juice to maintain the radio etc during the changeover). He started up fine and I headed back to my CT but he waved me back. Just as he told me it wouldn't come out of Park, smoke was coming out of his glove box. The battery guys were a good bunch and his Transmission Control Module was really hot, despite the engine being fairly cool. He'd had the auto transmission repaired and it was still (just) within its 12 month warranty. It looked to me like the TCM had been replaced at some point. I had a look at his single page, hand-typed "guarantee" and could see all sorts of get-outs. Sure enough, the gearbox people were backsliding and (long story short) the KwikFit-style place were happy to let the XK8 stay in their bay until Monday and the gearbox Joes (very unhappily) agreed to it being trailered to them for inspection (although they have already said it's nothing to do with them).
The good news is that a used TCM is surprisingly cheap (£20) and plug and replace if I get the same part number. That's if I get it from Blighty of course. If I find one in Spain it'll be a billion euros. The bad news is that I suspect the bad weather and water ingress caused the frazzle which could blow the replacement if not hunted down and treated.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I did a service on my mums citroen C3 1.4 petrol.

I then had my mate come round for me to check the dpf saturation on his hyundai sante fe 2.2 crdi.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Back on the XK8, I got a WhatsApp that the TCM is fine but the body processor module needs replacing. His warranty won't cover that. £70 for his partic BPM on ebayUK, >£200 in Germany, none in Spain (which is why I got the WhatsApp). Spent a bit of time looking at pdf diagrams on jagrepairs.com and it looks like the RHD and LHD XK8s have the same module, it's always behind the glove box so just its location changes (does explain the smoke pouring out of his glove box). So, I've ordered the UK one. No problems getting it to me here in 48hrs, but the seller uses RM. That means RM would hand over to Correos if sending it to my mate direct they would take over 3 weeks, or more likely just lose it. Correos have lost one item I had sent to my Spanish address, and they took over a fortnight sending a small parcel of mine to an address in Madrid. The module's coming to my UK address and I'm putting it in my rucksack and carrying it with me on my flight on Sunday. Ridiculous how rubbish the Spanish postal service still is.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
BPM arrived today in good time to take with me. I've got a hunch this will require JagCom or whatever it is and I'm placing a euro on my chum's doofi dealers just plugging it in and saying this English stuff doesn't work. I'll have a bit more reading around tonight so he has a bit of knowledge before handing over.

61 - 80 of 184 Posts