Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

341 - 360 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Well today.... not so much what I've done to my car, yet, but what I've done in prep. I got an advisory for my inner tie rods last year, MOT is due soon and the garage quoted £290 to replace them both. I already have them in, with outer tie rods too. Savage Garage's video shows him changing his with water pump pliers but I just don't think I can reach in to do it that way so I bought an inner tie rod remover tool, and a 1/2 drive breaker bar. I'll be extremely happy if I can get the job done myself for a fraction of the cost!

·
Registered
2001 Opel Corsa Sport
51 Posts
Fixed the front fog lamps again, replaced a couple bulbs and replaced all 4 sparkplugs, I've never done any mechanical work to a car myself before, so the Corsa is a great car to learn those things on, bring on next paycheck and more new carparts. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
I've recently put a pedal cover on my accelerator pedal because mine was missing (Thanks Oz!)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
De nada. I have put the ST alloy+rubber pedals on my Focus, but the throttle will need the whole pedal swapping over, which I'll get done along with the nice leather steering wheel (thanks DR!).

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I was on my way to stoke to drop my daughter off when I noticed my high beam light on the dash. I pulled off into the services and found the lights on and I was unable to turn them off even with the key removed. They were disconnected so I could continue.

Once home I quickly narrowed it down to the stalk. I opened the stalk and noticed the manual lever to activate the high beam was not connected to the stalk. I put it back on but it kept falling off. After some investigation it was apparent the pivot pin had worn so I decided to drill the plastic one and drill it to the next size and fit a metal pivot. So with a 5mm diameter length of studding I cut 15mm off and put a slot in the end of it so I could use a screwdriver to screw it into the plastic surround and a blob of glue to stop it moving over time. The stalk was reassembled and refitted. Happy to confirm the stalk works perfectly and now the turn signals cancel more positively now.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This lockdown is a bit of a PITA, and the weather worse. I still have my CC stalk (and a spare) that I want to head your way with. One thing I annoyingly found out is my Tour has one-piece plastic throttle and clutch pedals. I gave my alloy+rubber SRi covers to Delta Romeo. Would this possibly cause problems with a clutch pedal switch and is this a necessary part off CC upgrading?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Thanks to toothache, unpleasant weather and my sleep clock going haywire, it's taken over a week to do this...

Delta Romeo got hold of a set of four, 16" Focus Mk3 alloys in immaculate condition with matching 215/55/16s on good tread with 2017 date codes. Rovello RPX 988s which, sure, aren't Premium Contact 6s and I'll keep my distance in the wet, but all for £55 :cool: I've stayed alive so far on steels shod with Joyroad on the front and Boto rear (no, me neither) which, I've just realized, are all M+S so time for a swap.

The problem was Ford's terrible rusty little nuts and some gorilla overtightening them. My vonHaus 12V has no problem with the Combo Tour but it wasn't shifting these off. DR's mains-powered impact got them off and retightened to 110Nm, which my 12V only just managed to get off today. Anyhoo, I've put on the alloys and used brand new M12 nuts (4 + 1 locking) which were only £8 for the 20.

The centre caps I got are a bit wrong and sitting proud but hey, for now. Lots of other tartups and a compound to do to this daily driver.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Is that a bigger than std FMIC or the usual, ferret? Whether it's the angle or the shininess, it looks more substantial. FYI, I found the comparison of my non-IC'd Di to the (effectively) DTi upgrade is that the extra ponies were very noticeable and welcome until Malaga temps got to 32C and the acceleration tailed off like the old days. Given that you have the CDTi's turbo and optimizing gizmo, that might happen at even a UK August day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes heat soak has become very noticable if i push the van for any real length of time. So before i actually start increasing the fuel i'm putting this new IC on, Its a 550mm core with 57mm outlets.
This is getting towards double the size of the standard unit (the end tanks make the standard one look bigger than it is) and hopefully that will keep things cooler as more fuel is added.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Today I ordered my filters that I hope will get here before my week off. got lots to do to the car on my week off!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Put the IC on.....not happy with the Drivers side pipework but will have to get some more hoses to correct it later.

It all fits.....Just... but should fit better with that drivers side pipework tidied up

(The stain on the rad is from a previous boost leak on the donor car btw)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Now I see, that's considerably more cooling area. I'm so stingy, I'll probably spray mine with water (demin, it's rock hard in Malaga province) before I head for the beach and hope evap cooling lasts long enough.

Anyhoo, I did some stuff today. My Focus aerial snapped at the thread months ago, so I fitted a new base but my friend Alex had borrowed the car in the meantime and the aerial itself has disappeared. She has an annoying habit of taking things out and not putting them back in when she hands the car back, so I guess I'll spend another £3 getting one.
The other job was to remove the dull, grey plastic spoiler that the lower-spec Focus gets:

and fit the body colour one (again, sourced for me by Delta Romeo)

for a nicer look. I have the front end (chrome-surrounded grille, fog-equipped unscratched front bumper) to do later. It's the little things that give me pleasure. Luckily for me, Mrs Oz is the same.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Did you check the centre brake light still works? I never checked or asked!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The rear wash works well and so does the centre brake light (I used mine - the replacement one had icky lichen and CBA cleaning it all up with my hands full).

Highly unusual for me to spend 30mins or less on a job and for everything to work again as though I hadn't mauled it:cool:

·
Registered
2001 Opel Corsa Sport
51 Posts
Bought a set of used 6.5x17 +49 offset OZ racing wheels, will pick them up on sunday, not sure if I will get them on my car this summer or next year as I want to get them resprayed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Silver or another colour? They'd look nice in white!!

Today I've changed my top engine mounts, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter, then gave up everything else due to the weather. If we get a dry day this week it's oil filter and oil change, then wishbones and hopefully track rods (inner and outer)

Wish me luck, fuel filter and air filter didn't exactly go "smoothly"!!

341 - 360 of 400 Posts