Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
As I write this, I am 3D printing a left parcel shelf mount/support! Mine was already broken when I bought my car 3 odd years ago, but I never came around a new part. Today I designed a new (hopefully stronger) part in CAD, which should be printed in about 2 hours from now.
Did it work out well?

I'm currently shopping for a new battery...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Not a "done" exactly, but received today (8am - give me a rest, Hermes). A set of speaker upgrades taken out of a D VXR for £20 posted. Pioneer TS-1301i 2-ways for the rear and TS-Q172c components and tweeters for the fronts.

tbh, the std CDR2005 and stock speakers are decent enough audio albeit the HU lacks features. Still, I do very long drives and I checked that they're as easy a swap on the C/Tour as they are on the D. The components, in particular, are approvingly reviewed by buyers who paid more than I would. No way I am furkling around in these temps with the batt removed to the dining room anyway, so my follow-up will be some time off. Will I also get an underseat woofer and one of those Chineebay phone-mirror HUs that always display pics of girls whose bottoms are bigger than their thongs? I don't know; see if the hideous 80s cack Mrs Oz loads up from YT sounds more bearable, first.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Wiring in speakers is possibly beyond me unless the connectors are all simple plug and play!

I have a new battery on its way, I ordered a trickle/pulse charger which should arrive in the next day or so but after struggling to start at the supermarket I chickened out and decided it's better to get a new battery regardless.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
One of the tweeters has been unsubtly yanked, but I think all the others have the correct connectors. Not a difficult soldering job in any case.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looked under it and saw the center heat shield hanging off, saw nothing but rust and thought to myself... for f*** sake! haha

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Finally, much later than I should but CBA afflicted me, I have taken the snazzy alloys (another reason to delay) with the summer Rovelos off the Focus and plonked on the miserable-looking steels and hubcaps with similarly budgety M+S tyres. I waited until it was at least a bright, sunny day so, although cold, I wasn't kneeling and squatting in settled snow. These wheels were on the Focus before DR got me the eye-candy plus decent tread rubber for £55/set.

For the tyre nerds, a couple of observations. The Mk2 Focus is always a grippy car, but it is bad for tyre noise. The original Contis had a right roar at 65-75mph, which was awkward. The Rovelos, though have a whooh sound from 30mph onwards and, once I noticed it (day 2), I couldn't ignore it. Also, fine in summer and I didn't get wheelspin, slip or anything in this cold snap but they gave zero feedback in <2C weather. Like a soap box derby car with string steering; bit disconcerting. The M+S back on have made it much quieter and restored the confident cornering. I want the flashy alloys back on in Spring, though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
My car's had no battery/starting issues since the minor hiccups last week, I bought a cheap trickle charger AND a new battery, both of which are still in their packaging so at the moment they've been a waste of money!

MOT was due in July but the handbrake snapped and I had to cancel, the 6 month Covid extension kicked in which saved me and it's officially been 18 months since it was last MOTd but now it expires today and is booked in for Monday, so I checked all the tyre pressures and gave it a good "engine clean-out" motorway blast so with any luck it shouldn't fail emissions and tomorrow it'll get a really good wash (in the freezing cold) and a pre-mot inspection wherever I can. Wish me luck folks, I've owned this car for just over 3 years and if it passes its MOT this time that'll be 3 out of 3 successes which looks good on the history when I hopefully come to sell it in a couple of months!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Cheers, I've washed it today and gone over what I can in terms of MOT stuff - I've done all I can and I'm really nervous!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
A neighbour walking her dog said yesterday "Are you seriously washing your car... today?? In THIS weather?!" And I said to her that it was MOT day and that garages treat you differently if your car "looks" loved!

I was certain it'd be a case of "put it up for sale and pursue my next car" but I've been sat thinking "should I just keep it another year?!"

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Well today's a sad day. I applied for a bank loan to buy a new car, and got declined... So I think keeping the Corsa might be my only option, even though I'm hankering for a younger model!!

I think I might give the "loan appeal" process a go first, but it's really not the end of the world..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I often think about getting a newer car as a daily but then think what's the point? The mighty 1.2 is cheap to run, tax, insure. Easy to fix/maintain, got all the toys I need, A/C, electric windows, tilt steering, heated/electric mirrors. Plus I'm not so worried about car park battle scars as I would be with a new car. This one has been really good so far......................
Got the other 2 toy cars for fun.
Been fitting sound system to the Tigra and Hydro dipped bits today,
20210113_121908.jpg
20210111_152206.jpg
20210113_122317.jpg

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
I've been looking at your Tigra thread, I like the original pentas but the SXi 17s in black look absolutely brilliant! I can't wait to see it fully kitted!

Re the car I want, I've never had a brand new car and I know it makes no financial sense, but this particular car (I'm not naming it yet) would be literally my dream car. I already have half of its cost saved up and was hoping my excellent credit score would get me the loan, but the loan is for more than a years salary for me and not having needed to borrow money (apart from a mortgage that I finished paying off 18 months ago) isn't a good thing from a lender's point of view because they cant assess how good you are at repaying borrowed money if you never borrow money!

Anyway, I want the car more than I want the money, I want some modern comforts/luxury/speed, plus I wanna be the only owner of the car, I also want the pointless warranty so I'll see if a PCP deal might work in a few weeks, if not I'll just save up and buy it with cash in a couple of years.

You're not wrong though, of all the cars I've ever owned, my little SRi is by FAR the easiest, cheapest car I've ever had the pleasure of owning even if it's lacking in some features. I actually worked out that over the course of a year, it only costs me £200 more than public transport!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have never had a brand new car, 6 months old was newest when I got my Vectra B 2.2, it had lost half it's value in that time as well! Bargain for me.
Others have been a couple of years old with low mileage.
Had new work vans and the back up under warranty has been awful with VW & Toyota's and at best average with Merc. So much so that i'd never look at buying a new car or even a nearly new one. The Toyota and VW spent as much time at the dealers as on the road. The transporter and caddy i'd describe as sitting on a church pew in a tin box driving a vintage tractor!
Not having loans of any kind or being in debt does give you a bad credit score. Mine is not good as most of what I have is paid for in full and never had a credit card. Always paid any loans off in a sorter time than agreed at the start.
Don't think there are any new cars that I would even take a second look at now? Rather just build the car I want myself. Electric 4x4 Corsa C has crossed my mind a few times??

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Don't think there are any new cars that I would even take a second look at now? Rather just build the car I want myself. Electric 4x4 Corsa C has crossed my mind a few times??
Converting a Corsa C to electric keeps popping into my head too. Price soon gets crazy though..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
I have never had a brand new car, 6 months old was newest when I got my Vectra B 2.2, it had lost half it's value in that time as well! Bargain for me.
Others have been a couple of years old with low mileage.
Had new work vans and the back up under warranty has been awful with VW & Toyota's and at best average with Merc. So much so that i'd never look at buying a new car or even a nearly new one. The Toyota and VW spent as much time at the dealers as on the road. The transporter and caddy i'd describe as sitting on a church pew in a tin box driving a vintage tractor!
Not having loans of any kind or being in debt does give you a bad credit score. Mine is not good as most of what I have is paid for in full and never had a credit card. Always paid any loans off in a sorter time than agreed at the start.
Same for me with credit cards, never had one because I thought I never needed one! But another option for me would be to get myself a credit card for petrol and food shopping to push the credit score back up while saving for another year, then apply for a fresh loan that wont need to be for anywhere near as much as I tried to get. It's not like my credit score is even bad, it's just that since paying my mortgage off its dropped from 999 to 956, so I've fallen from Excellent to Very Good by 4 points!

Converting a Corsa C to electric keeps popping into my head too. Price soon gets crazy though..
EV conversions were something I looked at, and it looks as if it'd still cost £20k to do a Corsa C!!

I need something bigger though, too many people tell me my car doesn't suit me, and they're right!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Price for ev conversions is scary and then batteries are short life span at the moment. Not as long as I would want to keep the car anyway. Had bigger cars in the past but prefer small ones.
Last time I had a credit score it was really bad, seems mad that some one with cash in the bank and no debts at all has a worse credit score than someone up to there eye balls in debt? Lucky I have no debt's and savings at the moment, been out of work since June 2020, part disabled due to on going injury problems so can not do full time work at the moment. Plenty of full time jobs about but not part time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Hopefully you can get into some work before money starts to become an issue then. I might have to get myself a credit card, but a loan secured on the car with a 45% deposit might also be achievable so that might be an option I could explore.

421 - 440 of 441 Posts