Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

441 - 460 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Today I had a look at the wipers on my daily driver Mk5 astra. The near side one had started knocking against the scuttle panel so I had a quick internet search, mainly to find out how to remove the scuttle, and came across many links claiming I needed clips to bodge worn out ball joints, or replace link rods or the entire wiper assembly! I stripped the linkage off and immediately found play in the nearside relay arm to wiper axle. Unlike the Corsa, which are welded, the astra ones are just pressed on! Five seconds with the MIG welder and the slop is gone, the wipers work and I didn't need to spend £180 on a new assembly. Result.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Today and yesterday and for the last few days gremlins have come out to infect my car! Passed MOT with flying colours obviously meant there was gonna be a catch but I might have to post a new thread for help. (car stuttering and losing power as it gets past 80c, but it only happens once on a journey then runs absolutely fine after that). Engine light doesn't come on.

My battery wasn't an issue, as I still haven't changed it, but I'm certain my starter motor is sticking.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Just an update. Hoping to get the car fixed at the weekend, almost bought a starter motor and some spark plugs and even considered a bottle of Redex to run through the next tank-fill, BUT my local mechanic has told me that the "lazy starter" issue AND the car stuttering/almost cutting out once it hits 80c (before recovering just fine for the remainder of each journey) could simply be a corroded/broken earth wire that goes to the body from either the gearbox or the starter motor? Does that sound like something anyone else has encountered?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
DR, it's a bit late and I might be getting wires crossed (terrible pun in there) but a very recent post

mentions that the engine earth is to the starter motor on the 1.4. I'm just wondering if your various recent niggles are related, as you suspect, to a bad earth here?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
DR, it's a bit late and I might be getting wires crossed (terrible pun in there) but a very recent post

mentions that the engine earth is to the starter motor on the 1.4. I'm just wondering if your various recent niggles are related, as you suspect, to a bad earth here?
I'm really hoping it is the one bad earth. In which case a 10p fix!! I'm not suffering from some of the symptoms of the "Floating" speedo as such, literally the only thing that happens is it tries to cut out as the temp gauge gets to 80 after around 7 minutes of driving, bump-starts itself because thankfully it happens on a decent stretch of road while the car's moving, then it's completely trouble free until the journey home when it does the exact same thing.

I'll say this though, as the temperature has been over 5c these last few days, it hasn't had the "lazy starting" issue.

I've managed to negotiate the weekend off to get it up on't jack stands and have a good look tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Even my Focus has sounded a bit grumpy starting in the cold after 2-3 days layoff despite a recent battery although, like you, it's back to instant fire-up since even the late evenings have been 5-6C recently. My Modus was always effortless 1st turn - but that's in Malaga; never in single-figure temps.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
OK I HAVE AN UPDATE!!

So it turns out that even though the car didn't put the EML on (which does work), it did store two codes:

I cleared them both while the engine was running and ran the car up the motorway and it brought back just P0443 as a current fault. This points to the purge valve which momentarily choked the engine of fuel as it started to warm up, but as said before, doesn't give me any other running issues at all, no lumpy idle for example, no loss of power after that initial choke, and no limp mode.

On the hunt for a new purge valve of the Bosch persuasion!! I hope that's all it takes to fix, that way the only money I wasted was on the battery I bought and didn't need!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
How much do you wish you were back in Malaga?
Answer: A lot.

If that fresh, new batt turns out to be not required after all, don't try to offload it for peanuts just yet. I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the same for the Modus which was already dying in Malaga lockdown and is now beyond a re-boost I'd imagine. Could well end up that I reimburse you and take it down with me in the Tour to transplant into the Modus and hopefully bring it back to life.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
If that fresh, new batt turns out to be not required after all, don't try to offload it for peanuts just yet. I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the same for the Modus which was already dying in Malaga lockdown and is now beyond a re-boost I'd imagine. Could well end up that I reimburse you and take it down with me in the Tour to transplant into the Modus and hopefully bring it back to life.
Funnily enough I did put the battery on Gumtree a couple of days ago but it's not sold yet, plenty of timewasters asking if it's still available before never messaging again, but if you want it for what I paid for it you're welcome to it, google searches point to it being correct for the Modus.

Do you still want the headlights and that cone filter? You could probably make a trip here without too much trouble from the law, everyone else seems to be doing it unnoticed

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Yes, I'll take everything off you. Doesn't make sense for you to take offers off the tyre-kickers when I need one anyway. Things tend to be pricier in Malaga and ebay is pretty poor over there. I will probably wait a little for some more amenable weather, if that's ok: I even CBA about taking all the cardboard on the back seat to the recycler right now.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
I even CBA about taking all the cardboard on the back seat to the recycler right now.
That's literally how everyone feels at the moment!! I needed to put petrol in otherwise I'd have stayed in bed all day!

I'll keep them to one side then. Strangely I've taken the car out, thrown a bottle of redex (half price at tesco today) in the tank then brimmed it with petrol, and it hasn't "choked" when getting to temperature (didn't have the code reader with me though)... I'm wondering if the motorway blast yesterday has cleaned something out, but for the next week I may detour on my way home from work and give it a motorway blast every day...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The half-price Redex @ Tesco is a "rude not to" purchase - petrol or diesel. I had an EGR code on my Tour which went with some £15 Wynn's, V-power and a blat, but did reappear. I have a stock of £2 Redex diesel in at all times (particularly for the Spanish economy used olive oil) and I get no lights, codes or hiccups and the filters and even the oil (which often looks like goop in a diesel engine) seem too good to chuck when serviced. I bought the £2 petrol Redex before the Focus MOT because it had been standing a while before (the Modus in Spain failed me in similar circs) and it might have made no difference but I took the easy pass anyway for the sake of a quid's worth.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
That was why I bought it, I'm too tight to pay £4 for a 250ml bottle.

Spoke too soon anyway, as per PM, my car really started to run into issues this morning so I'm better off not driving it until the new vac solenoid valve arrives and hope that fixes it. otherwise, maybe selling for spares or repair, or breaking/scrapping.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Bummer to hear (not read yr PM yet, shall check in) but your "too tight" reminded me to get a bottle of Pure Definition's heavy cut compound while it's £6-odd on ebay. I have the finishing cut (v fine) and was happy with it, but I need to get those wheelie bin gouges out of the Focus. Shame if you have to break (apart from lookielike rather than genuine Irm door pins, I think I have everything) but I'm hoping a straight fix is your result.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
It'd be nice if you get more of the scratches out of the focus, it's already improved a lot since I first saw it!!

Purge valve replacement didn't solve the issue, I checked the filler cap, but next step is replacing the other stuff around the purge valve.

Breaking the car is just time consuming and a hassle

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I hope you fix, but I did get onto ebay before the £6-odd Pure Definition went back up to £7.75
Should arrive in a day or so and I might even get the DA on it if the weather stays reasonably mild (AOL news is like the Daily Express - "snow storms to sweep Britain" daily headlines.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Well it looks like my car's gonna be sold on the cheap as a spares or repair. I always planned to sell it and was hoping it would have lasted until March, and if I was keeping it I'd get it repaired even if it cost me a couple of hundred quid, but as I'm not there's no point me putting more money into it. As it is I'm stuck using public transport for at least 3 weeks

😭

441 - 460 of 495 Posts