Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving along and some plonker in a BMW decides he wants a bit of a fight.. give him a nice blast of the horn, but after 2 or 3 seconds my horn goes silent and hasnt worked since!!

Had the bumper off today and had a look, fuse 3 and 10 are both fine. done some tests with an inspection lamp and have found that the current is not reaching the horn. you can hear a relay clicking when the horn button is pressed (it is a tiny clicking in the box behind the bulkhead just above the fusebox) - but alas no horn.

done a continuity check on the wiring, and it is all fine.

Any ideas what might have failed?!?!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
hey mate, i still got same problem as your and i still cant sort it out :(

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
on which wiring have you done the check?

Problems could be
* the relay (try swapping it with another one)
* the fuse connections (check that there are volts between chassis and the ends of the fuse)
* the horn/fuse (you say not, so fair enough)
* the wiring somewhere (check the volts between chassis and the input to the relay, then the output with the horn pressed, and the horn +ve connector. If that's all ok, do the same from the battery +ve to the -ve connector of the horn.

That should keep you going for a while, let us know what the results are so we can give more suggestedtions.:)

HTH, John

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
But there are two of them, right (or a clever lever system) so wouldn't one side work but not the other in that case?

Also I think he can hear it clicking in the relay box, so it might not be that.

I must admit, I never think to use my horn. It passed its MOT though, so I guess it works! Although if the steering wheel's in the right place and someone folds the seat forwards and leans on it, it blasts the horn, I found out :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh i get the clicking in the relay box to suggest the horn buttons are still alive. im guessing that the clicking means that the relay is still working ok. it is going in to the dealership tomorrow so i will get them to have a gander and report back..

·
Registered
840 Posts
Now this is an interesting one.. mine didnt work for a number of months.
I went thru a flood on friday night, had my fog lights on and no sh!t they were submerged, tried my horn about 20mins later, knowing it wouldnt work, and when it did i nearly crapped myself. So.. drive thru a flood! worked for me lol.

·
Registered
360 Posts
stupid qn, but aren't there 2 horns??

·
Registered
360 Posts
:lol: mm i know but i swear i found another one... theres one on the nearside next to the foglight and i thought there was one near the brake fluid... maybe im thinking of the sharan I spent 6 hours taking apart at the weekend :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
ohhh right... im not goin mad then :lol: i feckin hate that power sounder, draws attention to me when im messing with my car haha

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mine has 2 horns, but they are off an omega elite.. they sound phat. (now they are fixed!!) the fuse was at fault, but hadnt blown :err:

·
Registered
360 Posts
right... glad you got it sorted anyway

·
Registered
840 Posts
mine.. When i press the horn i cant hear the relay, could this be the fuse? or the terminal connections? or the buttons?

Need help MOT soon :(

·
Registered
360 Posts
not the fuse mate... check it out for yourself, fuse #10. On mine, i can hear the relay but it is kinda quiet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts