·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my wheel bearings sounds like its on its way out

I want to know;

how much is a new one??
how difficult is it to change??
what problems could happen if i dnt change it asap??

cheers

Liver

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front or rear?

Drums or discs on rear?

If drums on rear its easy :p

Dunno bout discs

Probably talkin about an hours labour in a garage (per bearing) + parts in any case
think its front on drivers side
deff not rear as they bin changed not long ago

yeah disks aswell

its making a funny sound n apparently on its way out, what will happen once it goes???what are the signs??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jack the car up on the offending wheel. Grip the tyre tightly at 12 and 6 oclock and pull / rock (not rotate) the tyre and see if there is any excess play in the bearing (if the wheel moves alot, basicly)

can also try putting weight on the bearing by turning sharply at speed to shift the weight onto the bearing, then the noise should get louder as the weight is put onto the bearing.

As for what can happen: if it fails epicly, it can sieze/lock and if your doing say 70 on the motor way then your probably gonna loose a wheel as if the wheel cant spin then something will give way

Can usually just tell by spinning the wheel when its jacked up. Grinding noise is usually a failed bearing

Front bearings need a hydrolic press to put new bearings in im sure. Just take it to a garage and get them to check da bearings :)

What kinda noise is it making?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dont think a worn wheel bearing would change note / or get quieter with dropping the clutch, someone else will know for sure (ive only had rear bearings go and it was a consistant noise over a few tests (including dropping the clutch))

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont think a worn wheel bearing would change note / or get quieter with dropping the clutch, someone else will know for sure (ive only had rear bearings go and it was a consistant noise over a few tests (including dropping the clutch))
it was my mate whoi was int he car with me who noticed it
hes a mechanic for toyota

but will wait for clarrification of ppl on here

as there are a few who work for vx on here

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mines an 06 plate its jst wear n tear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.