Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
SxiSteve said:
cant remember who said this, but if you increase the wheel size by 2 sizes eg- 15" to 17" you have to change the car gear ratios??

(dunno why but is it true??)
Dont think you have to change the gear ratios, but you speedo will be slightly out.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
Your speedo will only be out depending on the tyre size you swop to. I have gone from 14" sttels on a comfort to the 16" SRi ones, and the difference is less than 2mph at 70, but Vaux sell them like this! As for the gears....feels the same to me, no need to change em

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you work out the new circumference of the tyre it's works out at 2.5% more with 205/40R17's on. The fact that your speedo isn't even that accurate means you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
121 Posts
SxiSteve said:
cant remember who said this, but if you increase the wheel size by 2 sizes eg- 15" to 17" you have to change the car gear ratios??

(dunno why but is it true??)
Good luck changing gear ratios mate :eek:

U shouldnt notice much of a differnce as long as u downsize the aspect ratio of ur tyre when u increase the size of wheel. i.e go from 175/60/r14 to 205/40/r17.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The main difference is weight, puttin on bigger wheels means the engine has to turn larger weights to make the car move. That's why on a 1/4 mile people use standard rims or small alloys. Especially on a 1L I wouldnt go above 16's. The smaller the engine the less torque giving a bigger disadvantage when u stick huge rims on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts