Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey - doing my first install in my corsa. everything is going ok but i dont know where to fix the ground lead from my amp. I know its got to be somewhere where its not painted but where.
help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I took the seat bolts out of the centre of the back seats, sanded it with some wet and dry, stuffed the cable in there, and tightened the seats back down. Worked fine. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
With your earth you need to mkae sure it is connected to bear metal no paint or anything on as above the seats are genrally a good place

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes I'm going to ground mine to the seat bolts this time, on my last amp I grounded it to the bolt's on the bracket where the seat's clip into when they are in the up position, it was neat as it was hidden behind the trim but a pain to get to. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Don't just jam the wire between 2 places and tighten it up! :eek: You should have a crimp terminal on the wire and bolt it down somewhere free of paint.

The better the earth, the better it will perform and if it doesn't have a good connection then it could get hot and possibly start a fire!

Play it safe kids! :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
If not, then a ring crimp is only pennies from RS or Maplin.

Really, 5-6p is the cost. It's well worth it! :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Media Maniac - quite agree that the better the earth, the better the performance, but trying to get a ring terminal for 16mm earth lead isnt the easiest. To get the best earth, use fatter earth wire, rather than the skinny stuff that comes with most amp wiring kits.

Earth leads simply complete the circuit, and there is no heat generated what so ever. I run 16mm earth from a Rockford 278RMS amp and a 5 channel Kenwood amp and its stone cold all the time as would be expected, and i drive it hard.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i just installed my amp right, and also grouonded the earth under the seat bolts. they are a right ass to get under. anyway,i found the official grounding point, its near the seat bolts,but under the carpet under the back seats. i only found this after i bloody mounted my earth! :x probably a better mounting point,as it must be paint free.

Anyway,how the **** did u all get ur power lead through to the battery? i tried squeezing it through the existing grommet behind the glovebox like some of u have claimed to have done, but i couldnt get mine to fit. :? :x i just cut the grommet in half, making it fit better and whack **** loads of vaseline ontop to seal out the water. gay. :x

·
Registered
729 Posts
corsalover said:
Earth leads simply complete the circuit, and there is no heat generated what so ever.
Yes, the earth lead does complete the circuit. It's a return path for the current which flows through the wiring and is just important as getting a good power connection. If you have a high resistance in your earth return then it will generate heat.

If you wiring is rated correctly then there should be no problem but underrated wiring and bad earth connections are a fire hazard with that kind of current passing through them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you have a high resistance in your earth return then it will generate heat.

If you wiring is rated correctly then there should be no problem but underrated wiring and bad earth connections are a fire hazard with that kind of current passing through them.
so is a bad earth connection create high resistance? so if my amp heats up,does that mean i have a bad earth connection? doesnt current pass through my amp cretaing heat,hence the heatsink? im confused? i thought an amp was meant to get hot when used? my headunit one def does?! i will check after a long period of use for heat.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
It will get hot anyway. A bad earth path will increase this causing overloading and can lead to failure of components inside!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jonny 5, that grommet was a right pain in the arse, what I used was a Long screwdriverto open the hole, and got a mate to feed he cable through. It took me two days to install my amp and sub, the main problem was getting the head unit out!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
yeah,that grommet is a right pufta. what i think i will do to sort out my wires properly is to drill another hole near the current one,just to feed the power cable through. i will stick a grommet on it to keep the water out,all good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used a coathanger to poke it through. Then attached a long thin wire to the hanger with tape, then had my power lead attached to the thin wire with more tape. That way the whole gets gradually bigger. Done it twice like this with no probs at all. :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
johnny 5 said:
i just installed my amp right, and also grouonded the earth under the seat bolts. they are a right ass to get under. anyway,i found the official grounding point, its near the seat bolts,but under the carpet under the back seats. i only found this after i bloody mounted my earth! :x probably a better mounting point,as it must be paint free.

Anyway,how the f**k did u all get ur power lead through to the battery? i tried squeezing it through the existing grommet behind the glovebox like some of u have claimed to have done, but i couldnt get mine to fit. :? :x i just cut the grommet in half, making it fit better and whack sh*t loads of vaseline ontop to seal out the water. gay. :x

any one got any pictures of this official earthing point ?

or could someone explain i lttile more where it can be placed ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
lift up ur rear bench and then lift up the carpet under the rear bench. Last time i saw it, it was a large bolt with lots of wires going into it. it aint very acessible tho coz u gotta run ur earth cable from ur boot to this point. better of grounding under the bolt of the back seats - in ur boot, remove the boot carpet, then u will see the point where the back seats pivot on when u fold them down. this pivot is held down by large bolts, undo these bolts, give the area a good scraping with a screwdriver and also sand paper, then tuck the ground under the seat. the rear seats are heavy and once the bolt is bolted down again, the ground wire will be very secure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got a big circle connector and attached the ground to my rear seat bolts (after I had removed the paint with sandpaper) - works a treat, it's a really 'clean' earth connection :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Anyone used the rear back seat to earth? I've used some wire wood to get the black paint off n smooth it dwn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts