Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question as im a bit cheesed off,
Bought some ford puma alloys to replace my GF's ford ka steelies, whipped them off, put pumas on, tightened up the stupid nuts off the steelies (didnt feel right to me, bad fit) and when we went up and down the street the wheels were all over and one fell off bringing the car to a crunching end.

Why did this happen?
And how to I rectify the problem, the other wheels I managed to pull off (took a while like) with the bolts still on the screws.

cheers.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Quick question as im a bit cheesed off,
Bought some ford puma alloys to replace my GF's ford ka steelies, whipped them off, put pumas on, tightened up the stupid nuts off the steelies (didnt feel right to me, bad fit) and when we went up and down the street the wheels were all over and one fell off bringing the car to a crunching end.

Why did this happen?
And how to I rectify the problem, the other wheels I managed to pull off (took a while like) with the bolts still on the screws.

cheers.
Not 100% but haven't you answered it yourself?
Surely because the bolts weren't the right fit/size they wouldn't tighten up properly etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
surely steely ones are shorter coz they only have about 3mm to go through before they tighten into the thread... alloys have bout a cm or two?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steel nuts are a different design from the alloy nuts (which have the little washer built into them)

They aren't designed to to used with alloys. Aren't strong enough either iirc.

They've probably worked themselves loose.

Go to a scrappy :

Alloy wheel nuts from any fiesta/ka/puma. Job done.

Beware of rubbing on full lock/ over bumps etc, if your using 15" wheels with 195/50/15 tyres on a Ford Ka.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive just swapped my corsas 15" steelies for 15" standard sxi alloys, dont need to change them bolts do I lads?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ive just swapped my corsas 15" steelies for 15" standard sxi alloys, dont need to change them bolts do I lads?

no, your corsa alloys are fine.

with your gf's car, go to a local wheel shop and tell them the make of car and what wheels they are and they will give you correct bolts. tell her not to drive the car until you do this

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers smithy ive put the steelies back on for her. G2, I dunno what spigot rings are all I know is I took her standard 13" steelies of her 01 ford ka and tried to put puma alloys from 2000 on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There won't be any spigot rings, they are standard puma alloys he's using.

They'll already have the correct centre bore.

Dude, a set of Ford alloy nuts from any puma/ka/fiesta will do the job tbh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts