Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corsa C 1.0 Life
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone to my insurance company (Autosaint, part of the Fresh! group)

I'm not allowed to delete my rear wiper.

I asked if it would result in a premium increase, and was told they could not cover a car with no rear wiper.

They're completely fine with me sticking a £750 head-unit in, and will cover it, but not a 20p bung from B&Q

Anyone else ever had an issue with this?

·
Registered
2005 Corsa C 1.0 Life
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the reason they wont cover it is A. Modification
B. Safety

Hope this helps
They'll cover some modification, just specifically not this one.

It is not a safety concern, the wiper doesn't work anyway, which they know, but apparently they insist on me keeping a useless bit of metal flapping at the back of the car

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,307 Posts
might sound stupid to you but if they say no & you still do it & have a crash/claim etc they wont pay out

if you are not happy maybe change insurance company's on renewal

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Insurance is worked out by actuaries, who look at stats, then applied generically to a whole raft of vehicles. People you talk to on the 'phone are rarely more qualified and senior than to fill in the kind of confusedthemarket.com boxes you could do yourself. So buying an ancient used car that somebody put some £40 alloys and a 'found in my shed, best offer wins' Irmscher spoiler from ebay on before you bought it puts you in the category of Riiiicer! I've had this myself. An expensive HU makes a break-in claim more likely, and the payout bigger, so they'll up the premium accordingly. Other things like wiper-delete, a Chineebay K+N lookalike, don't change the value of the car but, statistically, make you appear more likely to want to do donuts on the Toys 'R' Us car park while high on Red Bull, scattering toddlers in your wake. True of a 2018 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost owner maybe, but also applied to a 2004 Corsa owner because the statistical model isn't particularly sophisticated (although a glance at this forum's 2006 postings reveal plenty of people I'd flinch from if I were Aviva, back then).

I'd gone all round the major players with my Opel, which didn't exist on the UK market at that time, getting nowhere but I 'phoned my regular Focus insurers and they just happened to have a roomful of their actuaries in a meeting at the time. "So it's like the Combo Crew van? But it's got alloys and AC? LHD? Ok, tap, tap, tap... £xxx.xx"

But that rarely happens now (I was pretty surprised to be getting this conversation these days). People like Chris Knott, a sponsor of this forum, are able to find sensible quotes for outside the box changes but I agree it's daft that taking off a non-working non-MOT item can have such effects. Especially when base model cars up to the 90s often missed the rww to push you into going up the spec levels and rake in more profit. My rear wipers don't work on my Tour and it's a blimmin' nuisance. Worth checking the relay?

·
Registered
2005 Corsa C 1.0 Life
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insurance is worked out by actuaries, who look at stats, then applied generically to a whole raft of vehicles. People you talk to on the 'phone are rarely more qualified and senior than to fill in the kind of confusedthemarket.com boxes you could do yourself. So buying an ancient used car that somebody put some £40 alloys and a 'found in my shed, best offer wins' Irmscher spoiler from ebay on before you bought it puts you in the category of Riiiicer! I've had this myself. An expensive HU makes a break-in claim more likely, and the payout bigger, so they'll up the premium accordingly. Other things like wiper-delete, a Chineebay K+N lookalike, don't change the value of the car but, statistically, make you appear more likely to want to do donuts on the Toys 'R' Us car park while high on Red Bull, scattering toddlers in your wake. True of a 2018 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost owner maybe, but also applied to a 2004 Corsa owner because the statistical model isn't particularly sophisticated (although a glance at this forum's 2006 postings reveal plenty of people I'd flinch from if I were Aviva, back then).

I'd gone all round the major players with my Opel, which didn't exist on the UK market at that time, getting nowhere but I 'phoned my regular Focus insurers and they just happened to have a roomful of their actuaries in a meeting at the time. "So it's like the Combo Crew van? But it's got alloys and AC? LHD? Ok, tap, tap, tap... £xxx.xx"

But that rarely happens now (I was pretty surprised to be getting this conversation these days). People like Chris Knott, a sponsor of this forum, are able to find sensible quotes for outside the box changes but I agree it's daft that taking off a non-working non-MOT item can have such effects. Especially when base model cars up to the 90s often missed the rww to push you into going up the spec levels and rake in more profit. My rear wipers don't work on my Tour and it's a blimmin' nuisance. Worth checking the relay?
I'm allowed to do all kinds of mods, I'm just not allowed to take anything off apparently

Wiper motor is intentionally disabled, there's no blade on there and it was useless when there was

1 - 6 of 6 Posts